The Nine Nations of North America

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 11:57 am
One of my favorite books from 1980-81. We might benefit if we used this book's concept for understanding the problems of the Middle East and the artifical countries created mostly by the British to protect it's oil interests after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.
-----BumbleBeeBoogie

The Nine Nations of North America
by Joel Garreau

Out of print, but available via:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-titleid=30000&ve-field=none/qid=/002-2455530-2728033

SOME REVIEWS:

"Forget what you learned in any geography class you ever had. Forget what tourist brochures tell you about 'their' part of the nation. And once you've forgotten that, read this book and learn what really constitutes North America both politically and sociologically. Joel Garreau has produced a masterwork that should be required reading for every citizen. Even if you think you know your part of the country, Mr. Garreau will provide an update to your knowledge that takes your from " knowing " to " understanding ". And without any apparent prejudice. Whether he is relating cities to areas or peoples to states, he gets it right and in an amazingly readable fashion. Is your company considering transferring you to Seattle? Read about Ecotopia. Do you fear that new position in Kansas City? Peruse the section on the " Breadbasket " and re-think the issue. Mr. Garreau had the presence of mind to realize that our country was a larger entity than 50 states and some off-shore islands. " The Nine Nations of North America " draws everything together and, for once, North America is at peace with itself. And, hopefully, its neighbors. On a personal note, I've given perhaps 600 copies of this book since it was published in 1980. Don't let that date deter you: It's as relevant and accurate now as then. Mr. Garreau loves North America and so will you. Just put yourself in his most competent hands and re-discover the greatness of our part of the planet."
--------------------------------

"This book is a beautiful 'tour-de-force' of the socio-cultural patchwork we call North America. His insights are right on target and sometimes prescient (remember, he wrote this in 1980.) Helpful for planning vacations, moves or pilgrimmages. A must for thoughtful people everywhere."
----------------------------------

"Twenty years ago I read Raymond Gastil's 'Cultural Regions of the United States' and found it very interesting, so when I spotted the title of Garreau's book I bought it immediately, thinking that North America was an apter field for such researches than just the USA. No doubt, Garreau has some very interesting ideas. His choices for designating the nine nations are sound and appeal to the imagination as well. I was especially impressed with some of the conclusions he reached, back in the late '70s, (the book came out in 1981, so all the research was done prior to that). His view of south Florida and its connection to the Caribbean and South America proved extremely prescient given the events of 2000. The "MexAmerican" future of much of the Southwest is coming to pass. His predictions about the future of hi-tech in New England and environmental concerns in 'Ecotopia' (northwest Pacific coast) also impress the reader of two decades on. But overall, I felt that THE NINE NATIONS OF NORTH AMERICA fell through the cracks. Garreau really never defines what he means by a 'nation'. Is it different from a 'cultural region'? What are the defining characteristics of other world nations that may resemble one or more of the North American 'nations'? Does the author find any similarities? Are economic realities often the basis of nations? [Looking at Africa I would say no.] Secondly, his interviews and researches are extraordinarily diffuse, amounting sometimes to an unbelievably scattershot approach, hoping to hit something valuable. Time and time again, I found myself wondering, 'What does this have to do with defining a nation?' A total amateur myself, who has never attempted any work of the sort, I still felt that I could have rounded up more evidence in support of my argument than Garreau did. The reader often loses sight of any argument at all. The author's style is eminently readable, pleasant, and entertaining. He obviously has a great sense of humor. Whether that is enough to carry a reader through 390 pages is up to you.

He discusses 9 different regions of America, with a map showing the boundaries. He calls them New England, The Foundry, Dixie, The Islands (of Caribbean/Florida), MexAmerica, Breadbasket (midwest), Ecotopia (west coast), Empty Quarter, and Quebec. He shows how each has its own distinctive culture and economic climate. Published in 1981, but still rather a good read.

As a look at the arbitrary and somewhat meaningless nature of national and state/province borders; every continent ought to be looked at in this way! If you can only live and explore one part of it, 'The Nine Nations of North America' has plenty to say about the rest.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,089 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 20 May, 2003 08:05 pm
Funny you should mention Nine Nations. I was just thinking about how I'd loved it, was relocating it in my bookcase, when I noticed your topic... Time for a reread. Ideal!
0 Replies