Talk about your brush with famous people

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:11 pm
Be back soon.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:43 pm
Probably the most "touching" brush I've had with a movie star was with--what's his name?--the serious looking blond guy who played in a TV war series and was actually killed while carrying an asian boy (an extra) by a falling heliocopter in the filming of an episode of his series. He was a regular in a pool hall, in North Hollywood, that I attended a couple of times.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 03:45 pm
Rich Little was a technically competent impressionist, but no showman. Not funny at all.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 05:14 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Who is Stevie Ray Vaughn?
Do you know Levant and Boyer were? I suspect a generational divide here.

Stevie Ray Vaughn, an American blues guitarist, was an amazing player. He died in 1990 in a plane crash. Chai Tea has truly been smiled upon.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 05:16 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Rich Little was a technically competent impressionist, but no showman. Not funny at all.

Anddd, he turned out to be a bit of a perv.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 05:20 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Gala wrote:

But Reyn, the guy is from Canada? Are there famous people from Canada?

A few famous Canadians:
Bryan Adams. Pamela Anderson, Paul Anka, Jann Arden, Dan Aykroyd, Margaret Atwood, Donovan Bailey, Conrad Bain, Robert Bateman, Gil Bellows, Conrad Black, Rachel Blanchard, Kurt Browning, Genevieve Bujold, Raymond Burr, James Cameron, Neve Campbell, John Candy, Tantoo Cardinal, Emily Carr, Jim Carrey, Kim Cattral, Thomas Chong, Bruce Cockburn, Leonard Cohen, David Cronenberg, Hume Croyn, James Doohan, Colleen Dewhurst, Celine Dion, Linda Evangelista, David Foley, Megan Fellows, Glenn Ford, Michael J. Fox, Marc Garneau, Bruno Gerussi, Scott Goodyear, Graham Greene, Lorne Greene, Paul Gross, Monty Hall, Alan Hamel, Phil Hartman, Doug Henning, Ferguson Jenkins, Norman Jewison, Margot Kidder, Eugene Levy, Gordon Lightfoot, Art Linkletter, Rich Little, Howie Mandel, Andrea Martin, John McCrea, Lorne Michaels, Rick Moranis, Farley Mowat, Mike Myers, Kate Nelligan, Leslie Nielson, Catherine O'Hara, Brian Orser, Matthew Perry, Mary Pickford, Walter Pidgeon, Gorden Pinsent, Christopher Plummer, Jason Priestley, Keanu Reeves, Paul Schaffer, Monika Schnarre, William Shatner
Helen Shaver, Martin Short, Frank Shuster, Jay Silverheels, Marc Singer, Steve Smith, David Steinberg, Elvis Stoyko, Donald Sutherland, Alan Thicke, Dave Thomas, Scott Thompson, Jennifer Tilly, Meg Tilly, Alex Trebek, Shannon Tweed, John Vernon, Gilles Villeneuve, Jacques Villeneuve, Johnny Wayne, Al Waxman, Fay Wray, Neil Young, Kevin Zegers

No, no, Andrea Martin is from Maine. What you Canadian will do for a little credit.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 05:21 pm
Oh, this is a sad development, I am posting like a super-know-it-all.

tico, your story is hilarious.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 05:28 pm
Well, this is a brush with someone who is famous in her circle, but not very well-known out of it.

I was at a convention for my job where there were a lot of books on tape vendors. The key-note speaker was this woman who is at the top of the profession in reading for books on tape. She gave a presentation at the dinner, and it was highly entertaining, but I couldn't help but note to myself that she was a drama queen extraordianaire, in the vein of a classically trained thespian.

After her presentation I was invited to a small party she was giving. A true diva-- she pretty much had all the books on tape people holding palm fronds to keep her comfortable. I had a conversation with her that was pretty awful, only because it was up to me to be polite as she talked about...herself. When the opportunity to free myself politely presented itself I said to her, "it was nice to meet you." She responded in turn, "it was."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:30 pm
I rode into New York on the train this week...and my seating companion was Senator Frank Lautenburg.

Great guy...gutsy!

We had a long talk about all sorts of things...and I reminded him of an incident that happened about 10 - 12 years ago.

I was at a Democratic Party function (I was a Dem at the time)...and saw him standing alone...so I went over and asked him to autograph my dinner menu. I had a pen I offered him...and while signing, he mentioned that the pen (one of those felt tipped jobs) was excellent for signing autographs. He asked my name...addressed the autograph to me...and joked about us both being Franks.

About 20 minutes later...while I am at a table with all the bigwigs from my hometown (Mayor, Freeholders, State assemblyman, council members)...over walks Frank Lautenburg...puts a hand on my shoulder and says, "Hey Frank...lemme borrow your pen, will ya."

Well...the rest of the table who had gotten silent at the senator's approach...damn near shyt.

I gave him the pen....and in an expansive mood, said, "Keep it."

The senator, being a pragmatic guy, was taking the train from Newark to the Big Apple so as to avoid getting stuck in traffic. Traffic in our area is hell in late afternoon. And it gave me a chance to speak with him...and post here in this thread.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 06:37 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:04 pm
I see both Gregory Peck and Frank Sinatra were already mentioned. Fact is...they use to pal around together...and I met them both at the same party in the Hamptons. I was a floating bartender...and got both of them drinks.

Both had me in awe...and both were very courteous to the hired help.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:07 pm
Rode on a plane (and met) Sidney Poitier...on a trip to St. Martens.

Rode on a plane (and met) Joe Pantaliano...on a nightmare trip from LA to New York.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:14 pm
i've met Setanta, but he wouldn't let me brush him
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:16 pm
I've met Frank Apisa, he even let me kick him in the head.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:35 pm
Dys could add a few. But, he won't. Cause, he's The Dys.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:54 pm
I met Pele. I was at the Fountainbleu in Miami Beach and I was walking up from the beach and I saw this man surrounded by people and he was speaking Spanish or Portuguese (I'm not sure which). And I said to my husband, "That's someone famous." And he asked, "Who do you think it is?" And I said, "Well, he's kind of short and stocky and he's the right age - I think it's Pele." And he said, "You're probably right." So I walked over to him and I asked him if he was Pele and he said that he was. My son, who was five at the time was a huge soccer (football) fan, so I asked him if he would let us take a picture of my son with him. He was very, very gracious and did .

A couple of days later we saw Walter Payton and Hank Aaron at a bar. We didin't ask them for pictures or autographs.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 07:56 pm
Same drugstore. There was the little incident of a very angry Liza Minelli, who had to endure a lecture from our pharmacist on the dangers of mixing meds and alcohol. She got her prescription filled in the end, but it was not a pretty sight. Nobody had the nerve to ask for an autograph.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:01 pm
Super, Frank! I really took a vicarious pleasure in that. Some day, my turn.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:03 pm
Dys let me lick his Porsche.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2006 08:03 pm
Dys let me lick his Porsche.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 11:45:48