Credit Bureaus to Begin Giving Personal/Financial Info

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 12:14 pm
I just heard that beginning July 1st, all four credit bureaus will be giving out personal
and financial information. Just wanted to pass on the telephone number to remove your
name from the list -- 888-567-8688.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,893 • Replies: 7
No top replies

husker

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 12:41 pm
http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs6-crdt.htm

Fraudulent e-mail alert: A false e-mail is being circulated that says beginning July 1 the national credit reporting agencies will be able to send your credit report to anyone for any reason. The e-mail is completely false.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 12:41 pm
http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs6-crdt.htm
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 01:04 pm
Fraudulent e-mail alert: A false e-mail is being circulated that says beginning July 1 the national credit reporting agencies will be able to send your credit report to anyone for any reason. The e-mail is completely false. With a Toll-Free telephone number.
http://www.experian.com/ask_max/index.html

You may have received a widely circulated e-mail that claims that as of July 1 credit reporting agencies can share your credit history with anyone, at any time for any reason.
The e-mail is completely false.
The federal Fair Credit Reporting Act specifies who can obtain a copy of your credit report and under what circumstances. That hasn't changed. You can learn more about the FCRA and your rights in All About Credit.
The e-mail also suggests you can opt out of the credit reporting process by calling a telephone number it lists. While you can opt out of pre-approved credit offers as well as marketing lists, you cannot opt out of the credit reporting system. For more information on opting out of specific types of targeted advertising, please visit the Opt Out section for specific instructions on how to remove your name from direct mail, telemarketing, e-mail and preapproved offers.
Read what the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has to say about this false alert
If you are concerned about your credit history, have never seen it or haven't reviewed it in a while, you can get a copy of your credit report instantly online at our Personal Services. You can also sign up for Credit Manager our subscription service that provides unlimited access to your credit information as well automatic notification of adverse credit changes to your report.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 01:08 pm
Embarrassed

Yeah...my bro-in-law just sent me those links too.

I hate it when I fall for that stuff!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 01:11 pm
please edit out that telephone number

my profession is finance\accounting\credit - something smelled fishy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 01:50 pm
OPTING OUT INFO - A MUST READ
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 19 May, 2003 07:31 pm
Actually Husker, it says that the phone number is legit -- it will allow you to opt out of receiving those annoying pre-approved credit offers. So it sounds like whoever started the e-mail message misunderstood it to mean that all info would be given to anyone.

Thanks for the opt-out info! I'm going to opt out of all of it (already did the pre-approved ccard thing before posting this misinformed warning) Wink
0 Replies