A Clockwork Orange

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 02:51 am
I'm absolutely in love with 'A Clockwork Orange' and have read the book about 5-6 times and I'm reading it again at the moment. I'm totally hooked on the book and can hardly put it down! I'm hooked on the film as well. I consider myself the biggest 'A Clockwork Orange' fan EVER!
What do you think of the book?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,869 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:02 am
I love that book and movie. Especially when it was introduced to me when I was younger.

You might want to read (and/or watch the movie) "One flew over the The Cuckoo's nest" next. It is about the same thing; The indevidual against authority.

It is also funny and very good.

Cheers my droog. You must by now know nadsat?

-------------------------------------

Word Meaning Origins
Appypolly loggy Apology School boy speak
Baboochka Old woman Russian: babooshka/grandmother
Baddiwad Bad School boy speak
Banda Band Russian: banda/band, gang
Bezoomy Mad Russian: byezoomiyi/mad, insane
Biblio Library Russian: biblioteka/library
Bitva Battle Russian: bitva/battle
Bog God Russian: Bog/God
Bolnoy Sick Russian: bolnoy/sick
Bolshy Big Russian: bolshoy/big
Bratchny Bastard Russian: vnyebrachnyi/illegitimate
Bratty Brother Russian: brat/brother
Britva Razor Russian: britva/razor
Brooko Belly Russian: bryukho/abdomen
Brosay Throw Russian: brosat/to throw
Bugatty Rich Russian: bogaty/wealthy
Cal **** Russian: kal/excrement, faeces
Cancer Cigarette Standard slang term: ie. cancer stick
Cantora Office Russian: kontora/office
Carman Pocket Russian: karman/pocket
Chai Tea Russian: chai/tea

http://soomka.com/nadsat.html
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:07 am
It's a very long time since I read it, and saw the film, but yes, I can see why it has become a bit of a "cult".
As a young teenager, I delivered papers to the chalet style house that is featured in the film. I remember seeing the camera crews working there for a month or so, but didn't have a clue as to what they were filming.

When I saw the film, this house came into view in one scene, and I thought "I know that place!".

Malcolm McDowelll was the perfect choice for the main character, IMO.

The "slang" terms in the book and film (droogie etc) are taken from the Russian language, so I have been told.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:11 am
Havnt read the book and found the film quite disturbing.
The only good thing about it was the funky version of 'Ode to Joy'(was it that tune??)

Violence and sex, its always a winner.
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:13 am
I've only seen the film and it was quite awesome.

It had a tremendous amount of really good sexual and violent imagery.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:23 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
It's a very long time since I read it, and saw the film, but yes, I can see why it has become a bit of a "cult".
As a young teenager, I delivered papers to the chalet style house that is featured in the film. I remember seeing the camera crews working there for a month or so, but didn't have a clue as to what they were filming.

When I saw the film, this house came into view in one scene, and I thought "I know that place!".

Malcolm McDowelll was the perfect choice for the main character, IMO.

The "slang" terms in the book and film (droogie etc) are taken from the Russian language, so I have been told.
Shocked Wow! Now thats f**ken cool.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:36 am
I'll take a present day photo of it when next I pass that way. It's about ten miles or so from where I live now, in a little place called Radlett.

The big Elstree Studios and Denham Studios are but a stones throw from Radlett, in opposite directions. Most of the Avengers, old Dr Who, The Persuaders and many many fifites and sixties black and white films were all made round there.

The original "Village of the Damned" in black and white (you must remember it, all those strange blond kids suddenly taking over the village by power of thought) was filmed in Letchmore Heath, about a mile up the road. When that was being filmed, a team came from the studios to my school, looking for "extras" to wander around in the background. They wanted blond kids (Me!) and about ten of us went down there one weekend, where we were dressed up in black school type uniforms and raincoats, and told to sit out of the way until called.
We were fed sandwiches and fizzy drinks all day, but were never called.

We were paid £2 each...for ONE DAYS SITTING AROUND. A bloody fortune! That was 20 weeks pocket money at the time.

Nowadays, it's common to see film crews doing something for "Eastenders" and "The Bill", "The Vicar of Dibley" and loads of other advertising stuff. Their lorries and vehicles parked up all day, are a bloody nuisance sometimes.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:39 am
Can i jump on the bandwagon.My dad was watching the Pythons doing a sketch in a tall building near were he was working in the 70's.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:42 am
.....and my next door neighbour was a stunt man in Elstree Studios during the sixties.
If you look very closely at most of the detective/suspense/murder films made there at that time, you will see him impersonating a dead body, you know the one, where the woman opens the cupboard door and out he falls.

Yep, that's him The one with the flat nose!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:48 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I'll take a present day photo of it when next I pass that way. It's about ten miles or so from where I live now, in a little place called Radlett.

The big Elstree Studios and Denham Studios are but a stones throw from Radlett, in opposite directions. Most of the Avengers, old Dr Who, The Persuaders and many many fifites and sixties black and white films were all made round there.

The original "Village of the Damned" in black and white (you must remember it, all those strange blond kids suddenly taking over the village by power of thought) was filmed in Letchmore Heath, about a mile up the road. When that was being filmed, a team came from the studios to my school, looking for "extras" to wander around in the background. They wanted blond kids (Me!) and about ten of us went down there one weekend, where we were dressed up in black school type uniforms and raincoats, and told to sit out of the way until called.
We were fed sandwiches and fizzy drinks all day, but were never called.

We were paid £2 each...for ONE DAYS SITTING AROUND. A bloody fortune! That was 20 weeks pocket money at the time.

Nowadays, it's common to see film crews doing something for "Eastenders" and "The Bill", "The Vicar of Dibley" and loads of other advertising stuff. Their lorries and vehicles parked up all day, are a bloody nuisance sometimes.

Yes! A picture!

Weve been watching the old Avengers lately and the NEW Dr. Who.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:50 am
The old Avengers...with Steed, usually includes a little old country pub in the background, when they are ever filming outside.
This is "The Three Horseshoes" in Letchmore Heath. The crew and cast made that landlord a very wealthy man during the sixties.

I'll try to google a picture of it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:52 am
WHOA! Lookie what I found!.......

http://theavengers.tv/forever/locations-9.htm
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:53 am
That pub looks loverly.

Id love to work in the glam entertainment industry.Even looked for jobs at Pinewood studios.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 03:59 am
And THIS, from Clockwork Orange.....please note that they have the village address as "Warren Radlett", when the name of the road was "The Warren", in "Radlett".
To be absolutely accurate, it was located in "Loom Lane"...which is near "The Warren", but hey, who cares?

......"Also in Hertfordshire is ëHomeí, Patrick Mageeís futuristic pad and site of the notorious ëSinginí in the Rainí rape of Adrienne Corri (when the two met in Hollywood, Gene Kelly allegedly snubbed Kubrick for the use of this number in the scene). The house is Skybreak, tucked invisbly away in the tiny village of Warren Radlett, Hertfordshire....."

http://www.movie-locations.com/movies/c/clockwork.html

and more.....

http://pages.prodigy.com/kubrick/kubaco.htm
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 04:10 am
There is also a part of the script that sees the Catlady phoning the police....."Hullo, Radlett Police Station?, Good evening. It's Miss Weathers at Woodmere Health Farm....."

It made us smile at the time, as Radlett Police Station was in fact, located in the back of a building in the High Street. The front part was a shop, selling wool and knitting patterns. There was only one policeman, a red faced man with a beer belly, called PC White. His nickname was "chalky".
He used to turn up for work when he felt like it, and he arrested me once when I was eight or so, for scrumping (picking apples from the farmers tree without permission). My mates and I had to give him our names and addresses, and he said that he would come round to see our dads.

He never did, but we lived in fear of the knock on the door for a week or two.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 04:21 am
Great stories Ellpus!!!! They make me nostalgic for something I wish I had known.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 05:35 am
I bet everyone feels nostalgic on A2K from time to time, reading some of the stuff.
Set, Edgar and Joe Nation are brilliant at describing something that happened in the past. Even though I wasn't raised in the USA, I honestly feel as if I had been, when they get started.

I've just got off the phone from speaking to my older brother, who is coming over from France soon. I told him that I had just been posting bits about the Clockwork Orange chalet, and he reminded me of something that had totally slipped my mind.
When we were in infants school (I was about five), it was only an open field in that spot, as the chalet hadn't been built then. We used to walk past it every day on the way home, and make a fuss of the two donkeys that lived there.
The chalet was built around the mid sixties, so it had been there about five or so years when the filming took place.

Oh, and he ruined another childhood memory for me.....re. The Village of the Damned.
Apparently, it was HIM that they chose, and I only went along because I made such a bloody fuss that I was left out (after all, I was only 4 or 5) that my Mum fibbed, and paid me out of the money she received for "chaperoning" us that day. I never knew!! Mind you, I remember the fake school uniform being a bit big.....maybe they were just humouring me. Altogether now.....AWWWWW!

...and there I was, thinking I was a movie star!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:24 am
I have always wanted to read the book, however, the film although excellent was very disturbing to me so I haven't been able to read it. I also could never see the movie again. I saw it in college and still vividly remember it. I still cringe every time I hear the song "Singing in the Rain." I think it was the extreme violence in the film that is difficult to overcome for me. However, in the case of this movie the violence has a point rather than other movies that show violence for violence's sake.

Definitely a very powerful story. One Who Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest as some one mentioned is also great - not quite so violent, but with a similar message - perhaps that is why it seems a bit more popular.
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 12:07 pm
Man, I must be so desensitized to violence.

I saw the movie when I was 14 and I don't remember it really having any disturbing effects.

I can't decide if that's good or bad.
0 Replies

blink me

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 06:51 am
Of course I know nadsat...who do you think i am Very Happy
krovvy= blood
litso = face
gulliver = head
droog = friend
staja= state jail
cal = ****
veck = man
tolchock = hit
platties = clothes
cutter = money
malenky = small
and so on and so on... I cant be bothered to write everything.
TOO MUCH haha.

O my brothers, remember sometimes thy little Alex that was. Amen. And all that cal. < the last line... *sighs*.
0 Replies