CHINESE TEACHER - PLEASE CONTACT US HERE NOW!!!!!!

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:56 pm
CUMT is in Xuzhu on the eastern seaboard of China.

A local website: http://elysium.na-systems.com

When I Googled last week I found these links, but they don't seem to be available today:

A English Language Google link:

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/4/Xuzhu.html

A compendium of links:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Xuzhu&num=10
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 03:21 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Now you're going to become Setanta's bitch.

Disclaimer: I thought a while before posting this, but decided to do so because I think it's funny. If you don't, that's OK.

I have one moment of being irrational and entering berserkdom and nobody will forget it. (this was the most informal apology I have ever made...)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:03 pm
What about if we do it for them? We could create a thread that basically has all the links so many of you have wisely mentioned. When a student asks a question instead of giving them a direct answer they can be directed to the thread created exclusively for Chinese students and their inquiries. Anyone want to volunteer to collect the links? We could title it "The Mother of All Chinese Students Questions" or something like that.

Feedback please.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:20 pm
Green Witch--

I contemplated this, but as the weeks go by, the questions are more and more varied. Further, the students seem to be very limited in their computer lab time--less than an hour, once a week--and they would be forced to read a week's worth of posts (in a foreign language with A2K digressions)

On days when I have time, I make nice.

On days when I feel the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, I scroll.

I keep asking at the end of many of my answers just how long the university term is--haven't had an answer yet, but when I go, I'll post the answer. All things, good or bad, come to an end.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 12:19 am
ehBeth wrote:
Quote:
The Google.com search engine has been blocked in most parts of China, as Beijing steps up its efforts to restrict the public's access to information, a Paris-based media watchdog said.

Internet users in many major Chinese cities have had difficulty connecting to the uncensored international version of Google for the past week, Reporters Without Borders said in a statement received here Wednesday.

Aside from the Google.com search engine, Reporters Without Borders said the blocking was being gradually extended to the Google News and Google Mail services.

snip

Quote:
Software such as Dynapass, Ultrasurf, Freegate and Garden Networks is normally used to gain access to news and information that is blocked by the firewall isolating China from the rest of the worldwide web. Bill Xia, the US-based exile who created Dynapass, said the jamming of these programs had reached "an unprecedented level" and he was convinced the authorities were deploying considerable resources to achieve it.

Feels marvellously subversive to be answering some of those questions when you look at it that way Cool

wow.

trying to picture what life would be like if the gummint tried to pull that kinda **** with US...

nope, can't see it happening.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 12:58 am
Also yit the teacher is an Aussie.

OI OI OI

I would not be too surprised to find these kids are volenteers for the olympic games.

Maybe the bejing olympic commitee will give away free tickets to those who assist.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:33 am
Shewolf, I see your point, but I think that even once the class is over, they'll remember back to when they were communicating via the internet with, as LE said, us "mysterious Westerners" I can imagine that some of them might share their encounters with friends....it's a small way of bringing people together.

I know at first I had fun with them, but several dear people here have caused me to change my mind.

One never knows the impact of one small deed.

I'm trying to answer even one or two of them each day.

Well, with the attempts to contact their teacher, we may be hearing from him/her any time now...

that'd be great fun, and think of how it might expand their level of learning.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 01:01 pm
I heard this morning from a very computer savvy friend that Google may pull out of China rather than live with the insidious restrictions.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:49 pm
What about the unpleasant possibility that students may be - officially or unofficially - from making too many close ties with the West; that they may be allowed to go just so far. This could well cause difficulty in maintaining even an occasional correspondence.

Am I being paranoid?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 06:52 pm
Should have read "students may be discouraged".

Sorry - sometimes my typing gets ahead of my thinking or something.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 07:54 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Shewolf, I see your point, but I think that even once the class is over, they'll remember back to when they were communicating via the internet with, as LE said, us "mysterious Westerners" I can imagine that some of them might share their encounters with friends....it's a small way of bringing people together.

I know at first I had fun with them, but several dear people here have caused me to change my mind.

Well, with the attempts to contact their teacher, we may be hearing from him/her any time now...

I agree...
and.. yet again, I didn't elaborate my point.

<sigh> I will learn some day.. I reallllllly will.

My point is basically, who cares what the thread title is when you know it is a student who needs help?
Why worry about that, when you can just open it and find out if you can offer anything... or not.

Noone has to open them, read or respond. So the feeling of obligation shouldn't be there.

If the title bothers you , just skip on by it.

We all know by now that they have a limited amount of time online, if ANY and that most of them are probally sharing a handful of restricted computers.

It would do much more for them if , when we responded we elaborated our answers more, and tried to engage them in a response instead of telling them how to post their next question. Corrected their use of the english language and explained the diffrences in OUR correction vs THEIR use of the words.

Imagine being in their shoes. Throwing out random questions on a website you are lucky to get, in hopes of getting assistance from a stranger that may make or break your grade since you dont truly understand the language to begin with. Opening your question to find answers all about your ettiquette.. .. and not your question.

For all we know, they have several classes that require some sort of internet research and only 20 minutes to do it in.

I absolutely do understand how frustrating it is to open A2K and see nothing but yelps and question marks as thread titles... but since I know what is going on, it doesn't bother me that much.

I contribute when I have time, and leave it at that.

Their education and our assistance is more important to them then A2k etiquette... wich.... is a set of rules that only the regular posters abide by anyway.. ;-)
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 07:55 pm
Re: CHINESE TEACHER - PLEASE CONTACT US HERE NOW!!!!!!
Chai Tea wrote:
We'd like to have a talk with you.

About what?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:04 pm
I think I'll just let someone else answer you there, Miller... lest I get worked up, when I am planning to calm down.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:05 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:15 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

I agree...
and.. yet again, I didn't elaborate my point.

<sigh> I will learn some day.. I reallllllly will.

My point is basically, who cares what the thread title is when you know it is a student who needs help?
Why worry about that, when you can just open it and find out if you can offer anything... or not.

Noone has to open them, read or respond. So the feeling of obligation shouldn't be there.

If the title bothers you , just skip on by it.

We all know by now that they have a limited amount of time online, if ANY and that most of them are probally sharing a handful of restricted computers.

It would do much more for them if , when we responded we elaborated our answers more, and tried to engage them in a response instead of telling them how to post their next question. Corrected their use of the english language and explained the diffrences in OUR correction vs THEIR use of the words.

Imagine being in their shoes. Throwing out random questions on a website you are lucky to get, in hopes of getting assistance from a stranger that may make or break your grade since you dont truly understand the language to begin with. Opening your question to find answers all about your ettiquette.. .. and not your question.

For all we know, they have several classes that require some sort of internet research and only 20 minutes to do it in.

I absolutely do understand how frustrating it is to open A2K and see nothing but yelps and question marks as thread titles... but since I know what is going on, it doesn't bother me that much.

I contribute when I have time, and leave it at that.

Their education and our assistance is more important to them then A2k etiquette... wich.... is a set of rules that only the regular posters abide by anyway.. ;-)

Shewolfnm rocks.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:18 pm
Lord Ellpus, fascinating info/anecdotes...

Anastasia was one time looking into (easily available) English-teacher job opps in China...

I'm thinking she would have loved it and hated it ... it mighta been a bit much <nods>

Very interesting all, in any case.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:22 pm
Embarrassed

grassy ass.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:22 pm
Miller wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

About what?

Well, in my case, shoes and ships and sealing-wax, of cabbages and kings and why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings.

You?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 03:32 am
dlowan wrote:
Miller wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

About what?

Well, in my case, shoes and ships and sealing-wax, of cabbages and kings and why the sea is boiling hot and whether pigs have wings.

You?

curiouser and curiouser.

I told you butter wouldnt suit the works.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 06:42 am
Miller wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

About what?

well gee....let's see.....maybe what we've been talking about for the last 6 pages?

You know, making this a more enriching experience for the students?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 05:18:32