CHINESE TEACHER - PLEASE CONTACT US HERE NOW!!!!!!

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:10 am
yitwail, I've been getting thank you's on almost all of the answers I've offered.

There is often a one to two-week delay, which seems to relate to class/lab time/availability.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:11 am
Oh dear I am so very sorry.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2095569#2095569 Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:12 am
sozobe wrote:
Good background info, Lord E.

One thing I'd add to what has already been said is that the whole point of their being here is that they are learning English and are nowhere near mastery yet. The kind of information-gathering (which forum, which title, which spelling, etc.) that we're putting out in various threads take a lot more facility with the English language to find and comprehend than they likely possess, even if they had enough time (and I agree it's very likely that they have very little time).

You brought to mind something which occured to me while responding to a particular thread the other day (yesterday?). These people are learning a language which does not even sound like language as they know it. The Chinese language is very dependent upon inflection, while English rarely uses inflection except for emphasis or to distinguish a question from a statement. Furthermore, they are learning, for perhaps the first time in their lives, to use an alphabet--and even if they are familiar with alphabets, they are learning to put the Roman alphabet into practical use. I can think of few more alien experiences than to move from speaking Chinese and writing in ideographs in columns to speaking English and writing and reading from left to right, employing an alphabet. The effort required of them is enormous, and even their most limited efforts represent a significant achievement. And many of them are quite bright.

This thread, from Emilycumt, who has posted more than once in these fora, was to be a payoff worth any amount of frustration with the chaotic situation we see here with the Chinese students. This was a gem, and Miss Emily's effort was an astounding achievement. Makes it all worthwhile to me.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:19 am
ehBeth wrote:
yitwail, I've been getting thank you's on almost all of the answers I've offered.

There is often a one to two-week delay, which seems to relate to class/lab time/availability.

that's quite understandable. i look forward to the acknowledgement. of course, i don't necessarily get acknowledged by the regulars, here, either, so why should i expect if from these students?

you certainly made a valiant effort at explaining how to put links to a2k articles in a word document (at least i think that was the question). that would be hard to explain even to a native english speaker. Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:22 am
Hey, Yit. Everyone should get acknowledgement for their efforts, but that is just me, I guess. Someone named Lydia is usually good at saying "Thank You", but it takes a while. I suppose you know quite a bit about the oriental languages, as does satt.

I only respond to the questions that I can answer, however.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:10 pm
Letty, you set a great example with your gracious acknowledgements.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:31 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
IThere were 50 in each class, and the ages ranged from children of thirteen up to adults in their 40's and 50's. In her classroom there were three old computers, and the internet service was not exactly broadband quality. Her own personal emails took three days to arrive from the UK, and another three days to return. If the emails contained certain "trigger" words, such as "freedom" or "democracy", the word or whole sentence would be kept as chinese script, or would just simply disappear.
If an email contained the word tiananmen, it would be guaranteed not to arrive.

hate to be a spoilsport, but your post, my post, and perhaps this whole thread, may be inaccessible in China because of all the "trigger" words you used. Sad
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:39 pm
That as may be Yit, but I honestly feel that they are not really using A2K to ask questions in the hope of getting responses anyway. I think their teacher(s) is teaching them how to use a computer, using "English".
If they get a response, they would probably look on it as a very exciting bonus. The magic machine is able to converse with mystical people from "the west".

I would imagine that they don't really have a clue as to what one of our responses actually says, but they are nevertheless thrilled that their question has been phrased and spelt with sufficient skill, as to be understood by an English speaking person.

If one tries to elicit dialogue with them, past their initial formality of a thank you, it generally falls a bit flat.

They'll get better.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:41 pm
i hope so. then i could ask them about Falun Gong. oops, there i go again...another "trigger" word.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:42 pm
LE, the teacher (of at least one of the students) has asked to see the responses ... click ...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:44 pm
Excellent! As Captain Jean Luc Picard would say "FIRST CONTACT".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:44 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
That as may be Yit, but I honestly feel that they are not really using A2K to ask questions in the hope of getting responses anyway. I think their teacher(s) is teaching them how to use a computer, using "English".
If they get a response, they would probably look on it as a very exciting bonus. The magic machine is able to converse with mystical people from "the west".

I would imagine that they don't really have a clue as to what one of our responses actually says, but they are nevertheless thrilled that their question has been phrased and spelt with sufficient skill, as to be understood by an English speaking person.

If one tries to elicit dialogue with them, past their initial formality of a thank you, it generally falls a bit flat.

They'll get better.

All good points, and especially the reference to excitement. I have gotten quite a few "thank yous," and a few have mentioned that the person was excited at the response. In particular, one student asked if anyone could tell them about beautiful cities in Asia. I thought of Kyoto, and put in a brief description of the significance of Kyoto in Japanese history, especially with reference to Buddhist establishments, and posted quite a few nice images which i was able to get online of Kyoto, especially of the temples. The student responded with very polite thanks, and said she had been excited to see the pictures. I guess i provided many thousands of words of response with those few pictures.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:50 pm
ehBeth wrote:
LE, the teacher (of at least one of the students) has asked to see the responses ... click ...

Just an initial thought, ebeth. If we could somehow get this teacher to register, and have maybe only one two or three people dealing with him/her, we could get whatever message across that we feel would help the situation, and hopefully get him/her to bring other teachers on board.

I was thinking Set as the main ambassador (is that an oxymoron?). As he is highly intelligent, and ugly enough to be non threatening. Then...maybe a few Chinese speaking members among us, whoever they may be.

Whatcha fink?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:53 pm
Setanta wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

They'll get better.

All good points, and especially the reference to excitement. I have gotten quite a few "thank yous," and a few have mentioned that the person was excited at the response. In particular, one student asked if anyone could tell them about beautiful cities in Asia. I thought of Kyoto, and put in a brief description of the significance of Kyoto in Japanese history, especially with reference to Buddhist establishments, and posted quite a few nice images which i was able to get online of Kyoto, especially of the temples. The student responded with very polite thanks, and said she had been excited to see the pictures. I guess i provided many thousands of words of response with those few pictures.

Brilliant feeling, isn't it?

I answered a few from chenxi, and she was obviously surprised to get a response. I'm hoping to get some more dialogue going, but she only comes onto A2K once a week.

This is a good thing, all this hands across the water stuff, IMO.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:57 pm
E, many members here express the frustration of not getting pointed responses to their posts here, and this from people sufficiently proficient in English (even including some Englishmen, i believe) to engage in ordinary discussion. How much more exciting it must actually be for someone who not only is not proficient in English, but for whom the language is so alien, and even the means of writing it, to see a response coming winging in to them from out of the great void.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:01 pm
ok.
i gotta say it...............

why does anyone really care how these students post their questions?
Noone is really obligated to answer, and they may not even really EXPECT an answer given that they have so little time online.

Obviously this is just one course in their school, and they will be gone.

It doesnt bother me to see alot of threads with
?????????????????????
HELP ME THANK YOU

and other things like that.
I just skip by them
Its no biggie.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:19 pm
I'm under the impression that the Chinese Government has strongly suggested that all university students become proficient in English--math majors, science majors, artists, future travel agents...everybody.

In the last two weeks, I've seen a great increase in "thank you in advance" as well as "thank you for the information you've given me".

Whether we will or not, A2K represents the Western World for many of these kids. If we're patient and polite we may well have some small influence on China's relationships with English-speaking countries.

When I've had time, I've been asking questions along with my answers and I'm developing some rudimentary pen-pal conversations with some of the students.

I've also been explaining "How to Google".

One of the things I've learned is that the kids have access to a computer lab once a week. Many of them grew up in villages with dirt floors, no indoor plumbing and no electricity--let alone computers.

Sure, some of the Chinese Students are lazy brats who are hoping to have a Western Devil do their homework. The majority of them are trying to learn a new language in a new alphabet through new-fangled computers.

These kids are all students of one teacher in one university. Let us cross our fingers that this instructor doesn't publish an article on "Techniques of Exposing Students to Practical Use of the English Language".

There are more Chinese Students learning English than there is coffee in Brazil! We'd be flooded.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:21 pm
Part of the excitement students are expressing in regard to getting answers and seeing photos may be due to ...

Monday, June 12, 2006 Google.com blocked in China

We can help them literally see things they can't access otherwise.

Quote:
The Google.com search engine has been blocked in most parts of China, as Beijing steps up its efforts to restrict the public's access to information, a Paris-based media watchdog said.

Internet users in many major Chinese cities have had difficulty connecting to the uncensored international version of Google for the past week, Reporters Without Borders said in a statement received here Wednesday.

Aside from the Google.com search engine, Reporters Without Borders said the blocking was being gradually extended to the Google News and Google Mail services.

snip

Quote:
Software such as Dynapass, Ultrasurf, Freegate and Garden Networks is normally used to gain access to news and information that is blocked by the firewall isolating China from the rest of the worldwide web. Bill Xia, the US-based exile who created Dynapass, said the jamming of these programs had reached "an unprecedented level" and he was convinced the authorities were deploying considerable resources to achieve it.

Feels marvellously subversive to be answering some of those questions when you look at it that way Cool
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:28 pm
You're right about the dirt floor scenario, Noddy.

My friend the teacher had accomodation that comprised of a small room with a bed in it, a tiny room with a sink (tap/faucet was out in the yard) and an even smaller room (on the outside) that had a hole in the dirt floor where number one's and two's were deposited.

No shower, no bath. Temperature was averaging 90f during the day, and by day two she threw caution to the wind, stripped naked in her "kitchen" (big clear window to heavily populated yard) and washed herself from the sink. Now...things must have been desperate for her to do this....she's ENGLISH for god's sake!

One compensation was that she was in Xian, where this is located. She always visited it on her days off.............

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/shaanxi/xian/terra_cotta_army/index.htm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:38 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
No shower, no bath. Temperature was averaging 90f during the day, and by day two she threw caution to the wind, stripped naked in her "kitchen" (big clear window to heavily populated yard) and washed herself from the sink. Now...things must have been desperate for her to do this....she's ENGLISH for god's sake!

When i was stationed in Inchon, in Korea, i had a "yobo." That comes from a corruption of yobosay-oh, a phonetic transliteration of "hey you!" in a polite inflection ("ya, ya" is the impolite version), and referred to a business girl who would keep house for you in a cheap apartment for a pittance (in this case $50/month--at a time when the Koreans were still poor and farmers who did well made $100 per annum, paying all their taxes and bills in kind with rice). It included other services as well, upon which i will not elaborate.

She made meals for me, did my laundry and assured that i had a clean, pressed uniform every morning. When i took off a pair of new, clean socks, the pair i'd have the next morning would be clean, and old, faded and worn--i looked upon it as an incidental expense, and made a point of stopping by the Quartermaster Clothing store to pick up a few new duds now and again.

We had running water, though, in our expensive penthouse apartment in the Chinatown section of Inchon. (I figure she paid about $15 to $20 a month for the place, and kept the balance.) It ran out of a tap on top of the roof, next to the door of the apartment. In order for me to bathe, on weekends when i hadn't been by the barracks to shower, she would take a large tub, strip me down outside in front of God and everybody, and then pour buckets of water over me from the tap (a true luxury, other residents nearby would find excuses to step over from other roof tops to chat and possibly take advantage of the convenience). The first time this happened, the little old Korean and Chinese ladies stared for a while, and made comments on my sexual equipment. That lasted all of a few minutes; thereafter, no one paid the least attention, as that was how everybody did it, and the only thing extraordinary in anyone's view was the luxury we had of a tap just outside the apartment door.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.19 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 05:26:59