Horrifying Fiction

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:05 pm
A-ha. That helps me focus something. The three of us (me boomer dlowan) have talked a lot about tolerance for ambiguity -- I think reading fiction helps foster and develop that tolerance.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:17 pm
Oh and I think you should write that story, dlowan.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:36 pm
Oh! What a coincidence! I hadn't read the non Rwanda story when I last posted!

Bu tit does not really go into Lloyd's mind, except peripherally.

That is a very interesting story.

Someone asked if she goes back to Lloyd....I think most definitely no, she reconnects to life.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 08:37 pm
sozobe wrote:
A-ha. That helps me focus something. The three of us (me boomer dlowan) have talked a lot about tolerance for ambiguity -- I think reading fiction helps foster and develop that tolerance.

Oh... I so hope that is true!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:29 pm
dlowan wrote:

Someone asked if she goes back to Lloyd....I think most definitely no, she reconnects to life.

Right, the point is that some sort of spell is finally broken, and she doesn't get back on the bus (to go see him); she doesn't need to.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 01:51 pm
Soz wrote:

Quote:

Absolutely true--even when the "readers" are toddlers who have been read to.

Both the eye and the mind must be trained to recognize complications and gradations of color, physical and symbolic.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 11:06 pm
So...anyone interested in reading and discussing Updike's "Terrorist", speaking of what we were speaking of?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 02:46 am
I used to have a strong thirst for horrifying fiction. Certain themes and experiences in particular.
I ate and ate and ate the stuff up.

I believe, now, that I was seeking to understand something elemental to my own pain and horror inside. I was collecting material, and finding a place to freely explore feelings/ideas/shock. It was a relief. It felt good. These are the types of things most people do not like to speak about, or know how to - eh, it's simply not pleasant conversation to most. Yet, even in terror and horror there is wonder. A part that is fascinated - by what is happening, by oneself.

Eventually I started pouring out my own stories and 'art' : horror comes easily to me. As a genre, I suppose. Maybe it's simple home-therapy. Getting the bad stuff out and synthesized somehow.

Now, I still enjoy reading a good (or pulpy even) horrible fiction. There needs to be a 'spark' an idea, a new world, or something that hooks me in though.

I suppose I may be rather jaded or guarded, bc few things move me to feel horrified (in books and fiction and movies etc.). It takes a special something or other.

Reality is sicker than fiction! Much more disturbing. Sad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 05:17 am
Much of the best fiction is taken from true life.
0 Replies