common sense

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:16 pm
farmerman wrote:
I had a single shot 22 that could only fire 22 shorts. Id spend glorious summer days shootin rats at the dump where my uncle Stash lived (near Albaturkey). For my 11th birthday , I got a Winchester model 61 pump action 22. I was "THE RIFLEMAN" Rats feared me, and because it fired 22 long rifles, I was A damn good long distance shot.

I remember being up on the Sangre de Christos with Uncle Stash hunting lithium (lepidolite) for gemstones and wed gotten to know a bunch of the weird old folks who lived in the hills who ran sheep ranches. Boy, were those the times.

Yeah really, I graduated to a Remington 66.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:41 pm
farmerman wrote:
I remember being up on the Sangre de Christos with Uncle Stash hunting lithium (lepidolite) for gemstones and wed gotten to know a bunch of the weird old folks who lived in the hills who ran sheep ranches. Boy, were those the times.

I was sittin' at a drive-in near Chimayo in the Sangre de Christo, and i pulled out a Camel an' lit it up. This old timer (or so it seemed) had been sloggin' up the slope an' around the curve, leadin' two pack horses and a saddle horse, and followed by three, four sheep dogs. The pack horses were really loaded, includin' a couple a hundred pounds of dog food--you can buy that, and pinto beans, in 200 lb. bags at the feed stores.

Well, she wasn't exactly an old timer, just lean and slight because she was a woman just under the medium size. Her face was a lot like leather in color and texture, but i'd say she was not much past 40. She smiled slightly, a little embarrassed, and then said she didn't often seek folks smokin' Camels, and would i mind if she had one of my tailor-mades. So i gave her one, and she offered me her can of Bugler, just to be polite. I told her no thanks, so she reached up in the saddle bag and pulled out a can of Top and asked if i preferred that. I decided not to be difficult, and said that would be just fine. I then proceeded to show her a way of rollin' with gummed papers that she had never seen before, and we chatted a little.

She explained that she lived up in the Frijoles, which is a ridge line in the Sangre de Christo, a little north of Chimayo, and east of route 84 where it runs up to Taos. She apparently leased some of her land out, had a little investment income, and hunted small game, and kept a truck garden. She grazed her horses, which in those parts means she needed about 30 or 40 acres. She said she had an old truck, but didn't use it, due to the expense, and anyway, she had the horses. (I don't know if you've ever tried to rig a pack on a horse, but you have to be damned good to accomplish that--i'd never even think to try.) That was the early 80s, and i'd say she was livin' on only a few thousand a year. She bought flour, corn meal, salt, sugar, coffee and beans, dog food and some oats from time to time. She got just about everything else from her property--being game and food she could grow and preserve. Oh, and she had a tobacco budget--she had about a half dozen cans of Top and a half dozen of Bugler by her account, so i figured she was a heavy smoker, relatively speakin' . . . i think she had a good life, and damned few places left in the world in which she could live it undistrubed.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:58 pm
Setanta wrote:
farmerman wrote:

I was sittin' at a drive-in near Chimayo in the Sangre de Christo, and i pulled out a Camel an' lit it up. This old timer (or so it seemed) had been sloggin' up the slope an' around the curve, leadin' two pack horses and a saddle horse, and followed by three, four sheep dogs. The pack horses were really loaded, includin' a couple a hundred pounds of dog food--you can buy that, and pinto beans, in 200 lb. bags at the feed stores.

Well, she wasn't exactly an old timer, just lean and slight because she was a woman just under the medium size. Her face was a lot like leather in color and texture, but i'd say she was not much past 40. She smiled slightly, a little embarrassed, and then said she didn't often seek folks smokin' Camels, and would i mind if she had one of my tailor-mades. So i gave her one, and she offered me her can of Bugler, just to be polite. I told her no thanks, so she reached up in the saddle bag and pulled out a can of Top and asked if i preferred that. I decided not to be difficult, and said that would be just fine. I then proceeded to show her a way of rollin' with gummed papers that she had never seen before, and we chatted a little.

She explained that she lived up in the Frijoles, which is a ridge line in the Sangre de Christo, a little north of Chimayo, and east of route 84 where it runs up to Taos. She apparently leased some of her land out, had a little investment income, and hunted small game, and kept a truck garden. She grazed her horses, which in those parts means she needed about 30 or 40 acres. She said she had an old truck, but didn't use it, due to the expense, and anyway, she had the horses. (I don't know if you've ever tried to rig a pack on a horse, but you have to be damned good to accomplish that--i'd never even think to try.) That was the early 80s, and i'd say she was livin' on only a few thousand a year. She bought flour, corn meal, salt, sugar, coffee and beans, dog food and some oats from time to time. She got just about everything else from her property--being game and food she could grow and preserve. Oh, and she had a tobacco budget--she had about a half dozen cans of Top and a half dozen of Bugler by her account, so i figured she was a heavy smoker, relatively speakin' . . . i think she had a good life, and damned few places left in the world in which she could live it undistrubed.

Setanta, I do believe that at one time or another we might have been friends. We do have some common histories.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:04 pm
My family owned a single shot twenty two, mid 60s through early 70s. I rarely used it - may have fired it a time or two. I was no hunter, by inclination, I suppose. Once, my oldest sister took it out and shot some squirrels, rabbits and then a deer. As she approached the prone animal, it suddenly arose and charged her. Knocked the gun to the side, broke the stock. She was unhurt. The deer fell dead. We needed meat badly; she knew how to supply it. We kept that rifle, broken stock and all, for several more years. Hard to guess where it ended up.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:05 pm
That's a truly great story setanta.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:30 pm
A great story well written.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:43 pm
You can't live together
You can't live alone
Considering the weather
Oh my, how you've grown
From the men in the factories
To the wild kangaroo
Like those birds of a feather
They're gathering together
And feeling
Exactly like you

They got mesmerized
By lullabies
And limbo danced
In pairs
Please lock that door
It don't make much sense
That common sense
Don't make no sense
No more

Just between you and me
It's like pulling
When you ought to be shovin,
Like a nun
With her head in the oven
Please don't tell me
That this really wasn't nothing

One of these days
One of these nights
You'll take off your hat
And they'll read you
Your rights
You'll wanna get high
Every time you feel low
Hey, Queen Isabella
Stay away from that fella
He'll just get you
Into trouble, you know?

But they came here by boat
And they came here by plane
They blistered their hands
And they burned out their brain
All dreaming a dream
That'll never come true
Hey, don't give me no trouble
Or I'll call up my double
We'll play piggy-in-the-middle
With you

You'll get mesmerized
By alibis
And limbo dance in pairs
Please lock that door
It don't make much sense
That common sense
Don't make no sense
No more
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:00 pm
Great stories, Set, everyone

Loved yours, Set. Reminded me of the other one you posted recently, about the family who pretty much maintained a self-sustained life out in the country, also in NM or thereabouts, and seemed to have as good a life as anyone you'd met had.

I was thinking, that could never have happened in Holland, not last century anyway - the place is too small, no outer refuges like that left. But then I remembered a photobook I bought in Zutphen the other year, photos and accompanying articles that appeared in a local newspaper in Amersfoort in the 1970s. Its called "Just consider us an exception". Portraits of a series of exceptional, characteristic and/or erratic individuals, who kept up lives of often archaic style, somewhere out in the Gelderse Valley. Included a whole family who lived in a self-built hut/house in a ditch in the Veluwe forest, behind some proper, larger house whose owner had once, generation or two back in the 30s, come to an agreement with crisis refugees finding a place in that ditch, if I remember the story correctly.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Jun, 2006 09:32 pm
NOTE: The following is copyrighted material. All applicable international laws are to be observed concerning this material

copyright 2005... CM Sackett

AT THE DOOR...
"Was you… aiming for his butt?"

Now, even in the best of times that wouldn't have been very funny. But coming from a voice I'd never heard before, only inches from my ear, in the middle of a thicket where I just "knew" I was the only living thing for miles… it was down right cruel. And how in the world had he gotten so close to me without so much as the whisper of a sound in all these leaves and branches and brambles and briars? I spun around, powered a bit by reflex and a good bit more by embarrassed anger. And I was ready for anything.

Anything, that is, except him .

As my eyes began to lay hold of the body behind the breath on my neck, I saw a man looking intently past me (literally 4" from my shoulder) at my buck laying there on the ground, with my arrow still sticking out of his ham like an antenna on the quarter panel of an old Dodge.

His nose was sharp and short, kind of like you'd see on a pixie, or an elf in some Santa Claus print. His hair was as white as the first snow that would come the next mornin', and was standing up like shocked bundles in front of the short-billed "woolie" he had tilted back on his head. His eyebrows, just under a wrinkled forehead were every bit as hoary and thick and unruly as the tangle we were standing in.

As I took in the rest of his frame at that moment, I noted that his head was stretched to the end of his time-chaffed neck as he studied the scene (hmm, I can't help but chuckle now, thinkin' back on it… he looked like a turtle reaching for a treat…). His shoulders didn't even seem to fill out the faded CPO jacket he wore, but they were soldier-straight. And his arms were back, with his hands past his hip pockets like a skier getting ready for a jump. The man was honestly intent on what he was lookin' at.

And then, with that same intensity, he turned and looked me over.

Under those wild white bushies were the greyest eyes I'd ever looked into… pale and cool, almost like wet granite. In them, I saw a combination of curiosity (as crisp and genuine as that of any child), humor (not malicious, mind you, but damn mischievous nonetheless) and something else, that made me instantly glad I hadn't challenged him, sight unseen. Yessir, these were the eyes of a MAN. I hadn't had much practice at being one yet, but instinctively I recognized one when I saw him.

"You still ain't told me, son… is that where you were aiming?"
more at ozbow
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » common sense
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 08:30:51