common sense

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:44 pm
As I guess some of you fellow posters know I spent much of my childhood living in Suadi Arabia/Beriut Lebanon but I was often sent home to the US of A where I lived with my grandparents on a small farm in southern colorado. When I was there (on the farm) my grandmother and meself would make 2 trips a week into town to visit my great grandfather (Charles Rea) we would bring him a tin of Prince Albert tobacco and he would hand me a glass jar (Ball) with a glass lid and a wire contraption to seal it closed, hand me a dime and send me to the Palm Garden Saloon for a jar of beer. If I had earned the 52 cents cost of a 50 count box of 22 ammo I would stop at the hardware store and get a box for my Monkey Wards 22 single shot rifle (given to me on my 12th birthday) Life wasn't so easy then but it was more honest.
The Dys.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,024 • Replies: 28
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:46 pm
Have you got Prince Albert in a can?

Well, you'd better let him out then.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:52 pm
jespah wrote:

kiss my grits, bimbo!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:23 pm
jespah wrote:

Is your refrigerator running?

Well, you'd better go catch it!

Ahh, the practical jokes of yesteryear!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:38 pm
The trouble with "common sense," Dys, is that it's too damned common.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:41 pm
Of course that does not apply to YOUR common sense, Dys. That is downright strange, I'm happy to say.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:42 pm
So, did Prince Albert's cans come with a muslin bag of tabacky in them?
I'm avoiding the obvious pun... common cents, you know. I seem to remember having a can like that and putting pennies in it..
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:03 am
I used to buy Buttercup Snuff for Exola Hamilton several times a week.

She started dippin snuff when she was 8 while working in a cotton field, her sister showed her how. At the time I knew her, she was in her 90's.

Some people didn't want Mrs Hamilton to have her snuff, saying it was bad for her.

I said...If Exola wants Buttercup Snuff, then Buttercup Snuff she'll have!!!!

She liked me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:11 am
Chai Tea wrote:
I used to buy Buttercup Snuff for Exola Hamilton several times a week.

She started dippin snuff when she was 8 while working in a cotton field, her sister showed her how. At the time I knew her, she was in her 90's.

Some people didn't want Mrs Hamilton to have her snuff, saying it was bad for her.

I said...If Exola wants Buttercup Snuff, then Buttercup Snuff she'll have!!!!

She liked me.

You are obviously an enabler.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:42 am
I would also smuggle in extra hearing aid batteries to Viola Maniscola.

Viola could never remember my name, and always called me Ginger.
She worked 20 some years as a toll booth collector on the New Jersey Turnpike, near the airport.

You know, like on the opening credits for the Sopranos, the one shot that says "NJ Turnpike"?

I'll tell ya, Viola had seen it all.....

I'll always remember her melodious voice, the result of 20 years of breathing in exhaust fumes of 18 wheelers, softly calling out to me....

"GINNNNNNGER.....GET ME SOME MORE HEARING AID BATTERIES.....I LEFT THE GODDAMN THING ON ALL NIGHT....AND I NEED SOME NEW DUNGEREES!

THESE DAMN FLOATERS IN FRONT OF MY EYES ARE DRIVIN' ME CRAZY!!!!"

She was so cool.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 05:49 am
lady tea, you are a dingbat. ( I may learn to like you)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:06 am
When we lived in our first house, we had a 90+ year old man living next door. He weighed about 85 lbs. He was a hoot! Meals on Wheels would bring him two meals every day, but he never ate them. Instead, he'd give us $20 to get him some unfiltered Chesterfields and a bottle from the "happy store," as he called it. When we'd ask why he never ate the meals, he'd stare at the pitiful little cardboard box of milk on the tray and say, "When was the last time YOU ate a nutritionally balanced meal?" Point taken.

I suppose we were enablers, too. At least we brought him part of our dinners pretty frequently. He found it hard to turn down home cooking. But...he lived to be 98 on that diet of cigarettes and whisky. Outlived three wives, in fact.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:10 am
Why is ever-body discussin' other people's cans in this thread? I'd say, the only person who had any business with Prince Albert's can was Queen Victoria.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
Eva wrote:

I suppose we were enablers, too.

It's not enabling at that age, it's giving them their due :wink:

I figure by that time, you can have any damn thing you want!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:33 pm
I remember a woman who was 117. She was a black woman missing her calves from infections she got doing field work.

Preach from the bible she held in one hand after 1/2 bottle of Jim Beam

Beat you with the other hand when that bottle was gone.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 12:47 pm
I knew a black lady like that too....

She'd move forward in a wheel chair, just using her heels to jerk forward the chair an inch at a time...all the while singing gospel, or when she tired of that singing "Ida's moving up, Ida's moving up" one day I watched her as she neared a wall.....wondering what she'd do then. Her toes hit the wall, she sat for about 15 seconds, but started pushing herself the other way, singing "Ida's moving back....Ida's moving back"

The aides always had a time with Ida....she was a tough old crow....one day an aide had gone into her room, stealing herself so she could clean Ida up.....

A minute went by, and suddenly you hear Ida...

HEY LAWD!!!.........I SAID HEY LAWD.!!!!.......DIS HERE NIGGA'S TRYIN' TO TOUCH MY PUSSY!!!!!!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:04 pm
AAAAAAAAAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

oh holy ****...

AHAHHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 01:25 pm
yeah, I knew you'd like that one....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 04:11 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Eva wrote:

I suppose we were enablers, too.

It's not enabling at that age, it's giving them their due :wink:

That's exactly how we looked at it, Chai. If anybody makes it past 90, I say they should get whatever they want.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 04:46 pm
I had a single shot 22 that could only fire 22 shorts. Id spend glorious summer days shootin rats at the dump where my uncle Stash lived (near Albaturkey). For my 11th birthday , I got a Winchester model 61 pump action 22. I was "THE RIFLEMAN" Rats feared me, and because it fired 22 long rifles, I was A damn good long distance shot.

I remember being up on the Sangre de Christos with Uncle Stash hunting lithium (lepidolite) for gemstones and wed gotten to know a bunch of the weird old folks who lived in the hills who ran sheep ranches. Boy, were those the times.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » common sense
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 08:29:04