Women's buying habit

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 01:29 am
It seemed most women like go shopping.On the contra,most men hate shopping.What do you think of women's buying habit? Is it good or bad? If your girl friend or wife ask you to go shopping with her, will you go?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,408 • Replies: 59
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 04:42 am
Some things trancend race creed or color, women and shopping is one of these.Laughing

In the west we sometimes call it "retail therapy" women help themselves to feel good by buying things.

Western women say there is a difference between "Shopping" and "buying" is this so in china?

Many weatern men will enjoy reading your words and laugh.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 04:51 am
I'm a woman, and I don't care much for shopping in general.

I think it would be interesting to know how many women prefer shopping as a fun activity or not.

I think the women who do are just more noticeable, since they are physically out there.

Question to our posters, men and women....

Do you enjoy shopping?

Y or N?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:04 am
I realise I was making a generalisation chai I just thought it was too compliccated to discuss the stereotype issue.

For me its not a case of enjoying or not........ its more like a flow chart.

Do I need something? if yes > ............go buy it.

If no dont.

Occasionally it may take 2 trips to the hardware store but usually the first trip is to see what might be suitable for a particular job, then home to measure up and compare the job to the solution. Then buy.

My wife says there is a difference between "shopping" shopping and "buying" shopping. Shopping with girlfriends can mean coffee/social as well as looking at things in the stores and not always actually buying.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:11 am
I dont like general shopping.If I need something Il go out and buy it.

An interesting question is why women shop to make themselves feel better?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:11 am
Oh no, I knew what you meant dadpad. no offense taken.

I just always wonder about stuff that people assume are popular because a select vocal and visible sector is out there doing it.

getting off track for one moment...sometimes when I'm out walking on a trail in the woods for a couple hours, I'm maybe cross paths with, oh....50 people? All enjoying the same quiet activity. May not seem like a lot, but if they were all together in one place, they'd equal more than everyone sitting around in a Starbucks or music store.

Clumps of people are more visible, but many more are scattered.

OK - hit the play button.... Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:23 am
I think the stereotype is this stupid belief that we have to look good to impress others hence we go out and buy the bestest most expensive outfit so others can look at us anbe envious.

There is alot in the papers about footballers wives just going out and shopping.
If they stayed in and weaved baskets the papers wouldnt be interested so they focus on the shopping.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:31 am
also interesting I think..........In the animal kingdom humans females are one of the few females to "tart" up to attract male attention. usually it is the male growing beautifull plumage/colors to attract a mate.

If i had my way I would ban all magazines targeted at women/girls.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:58 am
I enjoy shopping sometimes. I like seeing the new colors for the season, the new designs and fashions. I also like seeing the different displays and creative pairings of things I wouldn't otherwise have put together myself.

I don't have to buy something just because I am in the mall. But, as long as I'm there to relax and enjoy myself, I might as well get one Lindt white chocolate truffle and a regular Starbucks coffee with a hit of vanilla.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:35 am
squinney wrote:

I don't have to buy something just because I am in the mall. But, as long as I'm there to relax and enjoy myself, I might as well get one Lindt white chocolate truffle and a regular Starbucks coffee with a hit of vanilla.

you know, this is probably the difference between an introvert and extrovert.

I'm not shy, but I'm an introvert...the thought of going to the mall to relax and enjoy is an oxymoron.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:43 am
In Bangkok a few weeks ago, I wanted to buy my fiance some casual clothes. Nothing fancy, just jeans, T-shirts, everyday sort of stuff. We went to a department store, and were walking around the women's department. Now, there was one section, that had the type of clothes we were looking for. We walked past it 3 times before I finally stopped her, and asked her WHY we kept walking past the section that we needed to shop in. Obviously she wanted to look around. In the end she decided that we would return to the hotel, and I would give her some money, and she would go to the markets by herself.

She came back with a handbag. Rolling Eyes
At least she gave me the change.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:45 am
I love shopping and buying. Sometimes youjust shop, meaning you go, look around, try some riduculously overpriced outfit on just because, have some coffee or ice cream and just talk with your friend (s). This can turn into buying. Or you can simply need something, go to the store and buy it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:53 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Or you can simply need something, go to the store and buy it.

That's how a man shops. I know exactly what I want before I even leave home. I go straight to the right department in the right shop, pick up the item I want, pay for it, and get out as fast as I can.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:06 am
Quote:
That's how a man shops. I know exactly what I want before I even leave home. I go straight to the right department in the right shop, pick up the item I want, pay for it, and get out as fast as I can.

I must shop like a man then, because thats what I do. Enter store....gather target....leave. I detest the mall, and Wal-Mart is basically for groceries....

The only time I enjoy "shopping" is if I'm taking a weekend day to do nothing more than browse old flea markets, whether I buy anything or not. Thats enjoyable.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:15 am
Not me. I can spend a lot of time wandering around looking at everything. I'll go to stores just to look at stuff, not even to buy anything. I love going to the mall.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:43 am
I love the mall like I love the zoo. It's fantastic for observation, no particular interaction required.

Most malls these days have some sort of fancy play area for kids, so we've gone to the mall a lot without spending a dime, on a rainy day for example -- just go, sozlet plays, I sit and watch. Fascinating, I love it.

That said (as its own thing), I also adore shopping. I'm all about bargains, and the way I find them is to do an occasional sweep of my favorite stores. If there is nothing that 1) I need, 2) I like, and 3) is on sale, I won't buy -- but I keep going back for sweeps until there is something (and if it takes too many sweeps, it's off my favorite store list). This goes for everything from boots to sheets. I'm usually only really interested in stuff that is more than 75% off. My idea of a perfect shopping day is to go to someplace that is having a huge sale, rifle through a bunch of huge polyester muu-muu's, and find a perfect cotton dress in my size marked 90% off, only one there.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:51 am
sozobe wrote:
I love the mall like I love the zoo. It's fantastic for observation, no particular interaction required.

Most malls these days have some sort of fancy play area for kids, so we've gone to the mall a lot without spending a dime, on a rainy day for example -- just go, sozlet plays, I sit and watch. Fascinating, I love it.

That said (as its own thing), I also adore shopping. I'm all about bargains, and the way I find them is to do an occasional sweep of my favorite stores. If there is nothing that 1) I need, 2) I like, and 3) is on sale, I won't buy -- but I keep going back for sweeps until there is something (and if it takes too many sweeps, it's off my favorite store list). This goes for everything from boots to sheets. I'm usually only really interested in stuff that is more than 75% off. My idea of a perfect shopping day is to go to someplace that is having a huge sale, rifle through a bunch of huge polyester muu-muu's, and find a perfect cotton dress in my size marked 90% off, only one there.

Soz, you need to go to the Suan Lam Night Bizarre in Bangkok. I do believe you would die of joy!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:55 am
I'm with Chai - I'm not shy, but I am an introvert. I also am way to busy to enjoy shopping and use it as a form of entertainment. Strangely my husband is more a shopper than me. Although I am more likely to spend more time to shop - I like to compare prices and see what the best value is. Whereas my husband is more an impulse shopper, and spends more money shopping. He usually likes to go with me and help me pick out clothes. Fortunately for the most part he does have good taste - it is very useful when you need to get another size and he loves me to come out of the dressing room to model the outfits.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:00 am
Wilso wrote:
Soz, you need to go to the Suan Lam Night Bizarre in Bangkok. I do believe you would die of joy!

This is very possible! I loved the flea markets when I lived in London, Portobello Road, ahhhh... (at the very end, after the tony parts, especially...)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:03 am
You know, I'm almost 100% sure I've never tried something really expensive on, just to see what it would look like. Confused

Actually, I do enjoy looking at home furnishings, but that's so I can get ideas for my home.

And nowadays, you can do kind of stuff online, or looking at a magazine.

Wilco....your story made me chuckle, but actually I've done something kinda sorta like that. Not the passing the area I know I'm going to buy in, but bringing home something I didn't set out for.

At some point, I had to loosen up on my ideas of what I was going to shop for.
I used to have such a specific picture in my mind of what I wanted, as far as clothes, no way was I going to find that.

I go clothes shopping twice, maybe 3 times a year. I reevaluate my wardrobe in the early spring and early fall....then go forth on a Saturday after I've had a good breakfast and I'm a really good space. I have to remind myself, "stay on task"

If, when I first get to the store, I try something on that doesn't fit right, I'm tempted to just throw in the towel. But, over the last few years, I've become better at knowing before trying on if somethings going at least be in the ballpark fit wise.

If the stars align, and I find, let's say pants that are flattering, I get every color I think I'll wear that year, and call it good. To me, pants are pants.

Blue jeans, don't get me started. I, like many women have broken into tears over them.....I finally figured out just this winter than a certain style of Tommy Hilfigers fit me.

Shoes - I know I can put on some Franco Sartos and they'll fit.
Handbag - I have this fabulous one for winter, Brahman, that is both black and brown leather....I'll have this bag for years. I love it. It was expensive, but in the long run cheaper than buying "less than"

Anyway, I do try to stay on task, but if I'm distracted, it's usually for a "must" have like a classic blazer, or classic handbag or shows that I know I'll take care of and keep for years.

I'm just not trendy, it's too much work.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Women's buying habit
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/09/2024 at 07:16:28