Bulky man barely injured as car rolls over him

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:47 pm
Bulky man barely injured as car rolls over him

BERLIN (Reuters) - A 440 pound German man discovered that being overweight can be good for your health -- if you get run over by a car.

German police said the extra body mass prevented the 30-year-old man from suffering potentially fatal injuries when a Volkswagen Polo drove over him after he braked suddenly on his bicycle at a crossroads and fell off in front of the car.

"It certainly helped him in this case," said Sven-Marco Claus, a spokesman for police in the western town of Gifhorn on Monday. "Someone smaller would probably not have been so lucky."

The man dislocated his hip, which local doctors put back in place, but otherwise suffered only scratches and a bloody nose from the underside of the vehicle, police said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 516 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Eva

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:27 am
Hand me another eclair, please! Make it two!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:02 am
People keep getting bigger; cars keep getting smaller.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:29 am
He weighs 440 pounds and yet can still ride a pushbike Shocked
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:33 am
I find it more amazing that he weighs 440 and one of these http://www.bvsom.co.uk/images/car.jpg was able to run him over.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 11:54 am
Someone smaller would probably have avoided the accident altogether.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:04 pm
I wonder if the airbag managed to open?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:07 pm
Wilso wrote:
He weighs 440 pounds and yet can still ride a pushbike Shocked

No kidding.

Poor fat bastard was just out doing his cardio, trying to get down to a slim 410 or so, and he gets run over by a VW. Of course, that VW must have been totalled.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 03:46 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Someone smaller would probably have avoided the accident altogether.

Accidents are not always based upon body size or weight. Recently, I had an ACCIDENT. Why? Because I momentarily became distracted. It had nothing to do with my weight which although at times has been beyond the recommended standards, was not in that range at the time of the accident. Plainly put, it was an accident. It would have happened even if I had been a mere stick figure of a creature who could have slipped through the space between two pieces of wood in a picket fence. I find it absolutely disgraceful that you would attack a person based upon their weight, keep in mind due to various metabolic conditions, and other medical reasons (including prescription medications) a person may not be in as much control of their weight as you would think they should be. Certain persons have difficulty gaining and maintaining weight whereas others have a similar difficulty in shedding pounds.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:45 pm
Sturgis,

Being the husband of a wife who is over-weight (and trying hard to lose), I am fully aware of the nastiness folks can heave in others' direction.

In this case though, I don't believe DD was trying to denigrate heavy people in general. He was reacting in the story to:

"Someone smaller would probably not have been so lucky."

And I feel it could of / would of / should of / possibly be possible for a thinner / lighter / however you want to put it / person to move out of the way. Maybe not.

Most of the stories posted in this forum are subject to heavy punning and making light of in general. It doesn't mean that I (or anyone else) who subsequently make comments are prejudiced in any way to the contents of said stories.

Having said the above, the H.I. forum is not for "the faint of heart" who can't see the humor in a lot things. Do things get out of hand occasionally? Yeah, probably, but no more so than the R & P forums, where things get personal. Stuff said here is not personal, although not "politically correct".
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 08:41 pm
Thanks, Reyn.

No, I'm not attacking fat people. But saying that it's a good thing he was fat is just ridiculous. The way I read it, he fell off his bike.

Good grief.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Bulky man barely injured as car rolls over him
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 08:27:36