Zoos: Pro or Con?

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:49 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

I have read that people are much more willing to contribute money to save animals from extinction that they have seen at a zoo.

My own experience is similar, I've been to the San Diego zoo more times than I'd like because she's contributed so much to them that she has a lifetime pass with as many guests as she wants.

The San Diego zoo is also a conservationist headquarters, and just about the whole world consults with them on captivity breeding etc.

That being said, I think zoos are boring and wish the animals were free when I see cheap and dangerous "zoos" around the world (which often just mean a park with some cages of animals bought illegally). The animals are treated horribly, are not interesting (because they are half-dead) and the whole thing is quite dangerous ("lion eats kid" headlines tend to be from lesser zoos).
patiodog

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:14 pm
Interesting thing to pop up again.

Only new thought that I have is that if you are anti-zoo for the sake of the animals, then you must be vegan, right? Because a dairy cow is a damn sight worse off than just about any zoo animal I've ever seen. And, damn it, I like me the cheese...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:40 am
@patiodog,
Haven't read this whole thread yet but had to look up Sound: Rahsaan Roland Kirk and John Cage. It's a 24 minute film, in english with french subtitles in this you tube video. So nice to have it available with a click of the mouse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c74SycuwgdM

Thanks, dawg.

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 11:51 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:
And, damn it, I like me the cheese...

You sure live in the right place...!

(Got a craving for actual, fresh cheese curds the other day. If they exist in Ohio, I haven't found them yet.)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 01:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well I can vouch for the San Diego zoo, and everyone (visiting tourists from Europe) I've sent there, comes back being overly excited about the experience. I believe that our zoo is the only one outside of China who successfully mated Panda bears and we've had four cubs so far born in captivity at the San Diego zoo.

I usually don't get any pleasure out of seeing animals at a zoo setting, but
our zoo has so much to offer and goes through great length of giving the
animals a somewhat natural habitat, it's been always a nice experience going there.

jcboy

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2015 06:55 pm
@CalamityJane,
We took the kids to the San Diego Zoo today. They do provide a natural habitat for the animals. The kids had a blast; it was Alicia’s and Alex Martins first time at a Zoo.

We are exhausted, they both tired out and had to stop and rest, little Alex Martin had to be carried and then fell asleep in my arms.

All in all it was a fun experience.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2015 12:30 pm
@jcboy,
I am glad you went! Next stop should be Sea World Smile
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 06:26 am
@sozobe,
Think overall they're good. Without zoos, aquariums, and the like most people would never see these animals in person making their hunting and exploitation easier since no personal connection of experience with them. So in effect, better to sacrifice a few for public awareness and education than not but have people shurgging indifferently about whaling say.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 02:43 am
Hi All,
Thanks for this, really interesting thread. I've been asked to write a proposal to turn London Zoo into a theatre space and plan a guided audio-walk with a narrative that people listen to on headphones. I was wondering what the general consensus was on zoos. I think some people still have issue with the captivity but I agree with the conservation work. My production would help raise awareness about the illegal wildlife trade, so I consider it an ethical thing to do. What does anyone else think?
pq x
sozobe

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 02:36 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
I fully expected this would be about Harambe when I saw there was a new post!

When I read my old posts here I still am mostly in agreement -- I think I've edged a bit more anti-. I think the vast majority of zoos should not exist, and where I get more conflicted is re: the "good" zoos I mentioned earlier. Worked at one for a long time, and it would be so sad if the Columbus Zoo closed. I love it, and our rescued/ in the process of being rehabilitated manatees.

Your proposal sounds really interesting, PQ! What would the narrative be that people listen to?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 02:44 pm
@sozobe,
I think zoos are fine based on how the animals are treated and handled. That's the only way most will be able to observe wild animals and birds not found in the US. I think circus' is another matter entirely.
I've been on several African safaris including a night one, and they're amazing experiences because we traveled in open vehicles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 02:55 pm
I'm sure I posted on the older thread, having been involved peripherally in zoo design and having it taken over by Disney et al, but I haven't gone back and read it yet.

I wasn't the original designer re our group plan or a designer at all for it (my later business partner made the design), but I got to get in on a meeting or was it two.
Dress up time, just to get to listen.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 02:56 pm
I'm sure I posted on the older thread, having been involved peripherally in zoo design and having it taken over by Disney et al, but I haven't gone back and reread it yet.

I wasn't the original designer re our group plan or a designer at all for it (my later business partner made the design), but I got to get in on a meeting or was it two.
Dress up time, just to get to listen.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2016 03:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I see that wasn't the thread I was remembering. Eh.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 10:38 am
@sozobe,
Hi Sozboe, sorry for late reply.
Yes it would be cool. What do you think of London Zoo?
Well, I am initially thinking of doing something which utilizes London Zoo's links to conservation parks in places like Kenya and Cameroon and asking to interview conservation workers. The most obvious narrative will be from the poacher's or forest workers perspective, however I've got a feeling that won't work because the constraints on the performance (walking around the enclosures with a load of other people) may mean realism just feels clunky, so I am thinking about doing it from a different perspective. Maybe the perspective of an object such as a gun, a shoe a tusk or a handbag, I don't really know yet. Any thoughts?
0 Replies