James Joyce Estate Sued

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 09:01 pm
Stanford professor sues Joyce's estate By LISA LEFF, Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO - A Stanford University professor on Monday sued James Joyce's estate for refusing to give her permission to use copyrighted material about the "Ulysses" author and his daughter on her Web site.

In the lawsuit, Carol Shloss, an acting English professor and Joycean scholar, challenged the estate's assertion that she would be infringing on its ownership of Joyce's image by quoting his published works, manuscripts and private letters on her scholarly site.

Instead, Shloss accused Joyce's grandson, Stephen James Joyce, and estate trustee, Sean Sweeney, of destroying papers, improperly withholding access to copyrighted materials and intimidating academics to protect the Joyce family name.

Stephen James Joyce is not named as a defendant in the suit, but as an agent of his grandfather's estate.

Shloss was traveling Monday and unavailable for comment, according to her lawyer David Olson.

The dispute centers on Shloss' research for "Lucia Joyce: To Dance in the Wake," her 2003 book that posited James Joyce's mentally ill daughter was the muse behind "Finnegans Wake," his last novel. Published in 1939 and filled with Joyce's trademark puns and impenetrable prose, "Finnegans Wake" traces human history through the life of an Irish everyman and his family.

Lucia Joyce, who first was committed to a mental hospital at age 25, died in 1982 at age 75. Shloss maintains in her book that Lucia Joyce's inspiration is woven throughout "Finnegans Wake," but says in her lawsuit that the Joyce family has labored to excise any public or academic mention of the woman.

"People have destroyed documents about Lucia Joyce for over 60 years, apparently due largely to the stigma that previous generations attached to young women who had suffered emotional trauma," Shloss said in the suit, filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco.

Shloss, who said she spent 15 years working on the book, relied on Lucia Joyce's medical records, European archives that contained records on her life and Joyce's papers in university collections to support her theory, the lawsuit states.

Olson said copies of the suit will be sent to Sean Sweeney's address in New York and to the estate's law firm in Ireland. A phone number for Sweeney was not immediately available and phones rang unanswered late Monday at the Irish firm.

Before the book was published, publisher Farrar, Straus and Giroux removed several supporting citations from Shloss' tome to avoid a lawsuit, according to Olson. Shloss wants to post that information as an electronic appendix to answer several critics who charged that "To Dance in the Wake" was interesting, but thin on documentary evidence, Olson said.

"It's painful once you've written something ... that you think is complete and good, to have it hacked up," Olson said. "There is a desire to bring it forth in the way she originally intended."

Shloss prepared the Web site last year but never made it public because she worried about being sued, Olson said. Among the items excised from the book are quotations from "Finnegans Wake" she thinks support her thesis, as well as letters between James Joyce and his daughter, according to Olson.

Shloss wants the court to declare she's entitled to use information the estate controls under laws that allow authors to quote copyrighted works if they do it in "a scholarly transformative manner."

"We think the estate of James Joyce has been particularly egregious in misusing its copyright," Olson said. "You shouldn't try to use copyright to try to take editorial control of someone's work."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 10:46 pm
Oy! Interesting.

Brings to mind the excised Branwell in the Bronte family portrait...or the excised Rosemary in the kennedy myth...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 04:44 am
I'm torn here. Family privacy should be a given. But, scholarly history must also be served. I wouldn't know where to draw the line.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:17 pm
I thought the underlying questions would be interesting enough, even non fans of Joyce might join in.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:28 pm
This has nothing to do with privacy, it is an attempt to manipulate the historical record. All the interested parties Lucia, James Joyce, their parents and siblings are dead. What is left is simply a group of people who want to present a certain image of the past and assign everything else to the memory hole.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 06:35 pm
I believe the Martin Luther King, Jr. family is having the same sort of problems.

Look at Anne Frank's father re-making her diary for his own dignity.
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 05:44 am
history
How accurate is most history anyway?

Acquiunk I don't think you statment about all the interesting parties being dead is completely accurate.

it would be if we were talking about people ten generations ago. but we aren't the article states it's joyces grandson trying to protect joyces sister.

I knew my grandfather and his siblings quite well and though most of them are deceased, I still wouldn't want things published or printed about them that my family or they temselves if they were alive would find embarrasing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 11:00 am
I've just finished an excellent article in The New Yorker dealing with Stephen James Joyce's energetic protectiveness about his grandfather's estate and his family privacy.

Here's a link:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/060619fa_fact

Ben Jonson wrote of Shakespeare, "He was not of an age, but for all time."

I majored in English when the New Criticism was very fashionable. The New Critics eschewed biolgraphical information and historical context and concentrated on the text of the work to be studied.

Biographical criticism as a way of understanding an author and his work never went completely out of fashion. Stream of Consciousness writing is particularly well suited to biographical criticism. Further the fuzzy distinctions between lunacy and sanity are particularly interesting in Joyce's work.

Madness in literature is "interesting". Madness in the "real" world has a certain social stigma.

From The New Yorker article I gathered that Stephen James Joyce might have been a very sweet toddler. By maturity he had developed a contentious spirit and extreme possessiveness about his grandfather's literary estate.

I suspect the man would rather have been a literary genius than a caretaker of literary genius. On the one hand he's protecting his family's privacy. On the other hand his selective destruction of Joyce papers distorts family history and reality.

Fifty years from now, James Joyce will still be read and studied and the grandson of James Joyce will be covered in disparaging footnotes.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 11:08 am
Yep, I was just coming here to note that article.

Very informative backstory to this whole thing.

The destroying of material is particularly disturbing. I'd like to think that he just said so and actually squirreled it away, but who knows.

I thought this is kind of the center of it:

Quote:
As Joyce told one of his translators, "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality."

It is also not easy for scholars to decode Joyce's puzzles without addressing his personal life. Joyce frequently said that he drew his events from the newspapers and his observations from his life. "I'm like a man who stumbles," he once said. "My foot strikes something, I look down, and there is exactly what I'm in need of." In "Finnegans Wake," Joyce describes a character whose work is written "over every square inch of the only foolscap available, his own body."

Good observation about Stephen James Joyce's preference for being a literary genius himself, I agree.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2006 01:00 pm
I would favor confiscating such material to preserve it from destruction. I know. You can't.
0 Replies