Neurotic, Trivial Question of Great Personal Importance

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:06 am
Since I live in a rural area, I have free access to PA InterLibrary Loan. I request a book, the request meanders through the system and eventually the requested book winds up at the local circulation desk.

For the last two weeks pickings have been very slim and I've been emptying my To Read Shelf.

Yesterday there were 19 books waiting for me at the circulation desk. ILL books circulate for three weeks and cannot be renewed.

PROBLEM:

I'm going to NYC this weekend. Usually I slip a paperback from my To Read Cache for the bus and a book for bedtime reading into my purse and suitcase.

I was raised to believe that Library Books, Borrowed Books and volumes of the encyclopedia never leave the house (except, of course, to be returned).

Dare I ignore this basic Parental Message and take some ILL library books on vacation with me?

Please, be gentle. Be kind. Be patient.

I await your answers with trepidation and hope.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,648 • Replies: 29
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:08 am
Sure!!

We do it all the time (stock up on library CD's and sometimes books for sozlet before taking a trip), a bit nerve-wracking but no disasters yet.

Go for it!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:11 am
You will burn in Hell for eternity ! ! !

Which doesn't mean you're not a nice woman.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:15 am
As long as you don't lose or damage the books, you should be fine. And even if you do, it wouldn't be a disaster- you may have to pay to replace the book, but that's not too harsh.

Library Policemen are no longer authorized to shoot to kill. I think they just use Tasers nowadays.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:23 am
Dont take them.

This will force you to go on a meandering search of the place you stay for that out of the way, back alley type, secondhand book store where you will discover a treasure trove of literary classics....and a small but select group of bibliophiles including one young (ish) man whos countance you find diasarmingly attractive and intelligent.........

Be still my pounding (Holiday fantasy romance) heart
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:29 am
Quote:
I was raised to believe that Library Books, Borrowed Books and volumes of the encyclopedia never leave the house (except, of course, to be returned).

Noddy- When I read this post, the first thing that came into my mind was the label on bedding...............DO NOT REMOVE THIS LABEL, UNDER PENALTY OF LAW!

Noddy dear, you strike me as a very careful person. Barring some wild eyed mugger accosting you for your library book, I doubt that there would be a problem. Take a book to the Big Apple, and enjoy! Very Happy
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:42 am
Oh, go crazy! Take the book and live life on the wild side!

Personally, I've taken library books out of the state and out of the country. I'll wager that the contract with the library only states that you'll return the books undamaged and in a timely manner. It surely doesn't mandate where you may or may not take them during the time you have them in your custody.

And even if it does, it's only illegal if you get caught...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:59 am
I am not an attorney, but I believe that books are not covered under the Mann Act! Laughing

I can't remember where it was, but one library that I frequented in the past used to give a longer return time during the summer. The idea was, that if you were going away for the summer, you could take along books that you could return when you came back.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 10:45 am
Oh, good grief. I would even let Noddy take my two rarest Heinlein books across state lines.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:47 pm
My little wings are flap-flap-flapping--image to evoke falcons, not incipient angels. Actually, I'm flap-flap-flapping more like a wren than a falcon.

I now own a pair of white linen trousers--although I have yet to eat a peach while wearing them.

Emboldened by assurances that malign fate (being busy elsewhere) is probably not going to zap my luggage, I just may abandon another childhood taboo.

Soz--

If a supervised two, three, four year old can manage...

Set--

Burn in hell? While you're confiscating diverting reading material right out side the "Abandon All Hope" arch?

Equus--

Have you priced books lately?

Dadpad--

I had a wild period of self-indulgence last month and my To Read Cache is stacked as well as shelved. I have no room for wild abandon on that bookcase. Romance between the treasure shelves will just have to wait.

Phoenix--

Your confidence heartens me.

Blacksmithn--

Your outlook is practical. Murky, swirling, emotional depths just aren't your cup of tea.

Roger--

I spurn your bedraggled Heinlein paperbacks. I have my own bedraggled Heinlein paperbacks.

Thanks all.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:51 pm
Might I add this caveat: only if you don't read in the tub.

That's what magazines are for.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:58 pm
DrewDad--

Advice noted, but I no longer read in the bathtub. I use the time for contemplation/medication/instensive scrubbing.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:42 pm
Go for it!

Live a little!

And, while you're at it, go bend, fold, spindle and mutilate some goddamn smegger....and take THAT tag off your mattress!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:53 pm
Dlowan--

I just removed a semi-prestigeous tag from a new shoulder bag. I am a woman of substance, not a passive billboard.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:59 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Dlowan--

I just removed a semi-prestigeous tag from a new shoulder bag. I am a woman of substance, not a passive billboard.

That so doesn't count!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:01 pm
roger wrote:
Oh, good grief. I would even let Noddy take my two rarest Heinlein books across state lines.

There are no rare Heinlein books.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:05 pm
Roger, I grok in your fullness.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 04:26 pm
Information wants to be free, so keep a close eye on the little buggers, in case they try to escape.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 06:36 pm
What was the Heinlein Novel which had a small glimpse of thousands of Chinese settlers through a gateway between Earth and some unknown planet?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 11 Jun, 2006 04:50 pm
Neurotic, Trivial Question of Great Personal Importance
Live it up! Be daring! But remember - the Librarian from Hell will get you if you lose them...
0 Replies