To pirate or not to pirate?

scrimp212

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 12:30 pm
a WEP key is a mix of letters and I think numbers that a wireless router creates and every computer that connects to that router must validate itself with that key. Otherwise, it will not be able to connect to the router.

Plus, here's my take on wireless networks. If the person who has a wireless network and didnt take the time to turn ON the security features and leaves their network unsecured than its fair game for anyone to connect to it. I disagree with doing anything malicious to their network, but then again if your afraid of someone doing that to your network then secure it. It only takes a few minutes to do :-)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 04:16 pm
scrimp212 wrote:
... I disagree with doing anything malicious to their network ...

Hey - ya take a free ride, ya go where the ride goes.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:42 pm
timberlandko wrote:
On the other hand, try to tap into my wireless network, and, depending on my mood, you could wind up getting very surprised ... and very inconvenienced ... I can be real mean to a computer I can connect to, if I wanna be Twisted Evil

but would it be legal for you to take matters into your own hands in such instances? just curious. i confess i borrowed someone's wireless for a day recently, when the alternative was a dialup that kept hanging up, but i tried to minimize the impact to the owner of the network, and wasn't aware that it constituted theft.
0 Replies

scrimp212

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:48 pm
yitwail wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
On the other hand, try to tap into my wireless network, and, depending on my mood, you could wind up getting very surprised ... and very inconvenienced ... I can be real mean to a computer I can connect to, if I wanna be Twisted Evil

but would it be legal for you to take matters into your own hands in such instances? just curious. i confess i borrowed someone's wireless for a day recently, when the alternative was a dialup that kept hanging up, but i tried to minimize the impact to the owner of the network, and wasn't aware that it constituted theft.

Think about it this way....
What if u had to run to the store real quick, but ur car wasnt working or running at all. U see that your neighbor's car's doors are unlocked and the keys in it....would u take it to the store (given u didnt know your neighbor)?

This situation might not be as blatant as my example, but its about the same. If I knew someone was on my wireless network w/o my authorization...i would react the same as timerlandko

Its not hard to check to see who is on your network either, but like I said before...if a person didnt take the time to secure their wireless network then im sure they wouldnt know how to check whether u were on their system or not.

Plus, having a wireless connection in addition to a broadband connection the owner will never even notice the bandwidth your using b/c of limited speed that wireless connections have (wireless a, b & g)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 05:56 pm
Ignorance is no excuse under law. Now, as for what I might or might not do to a would-be wireless trespasser's machine - well, some of the options I might excercise would be less intrusive than might some others; as I said, pretty much depends on my mood - I prolly wouldn't wipe somebody's drive, but I might.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:10 pm
duly noted. again, scrimp or timber, if you'll indulge my curiosity, is there any reason besides magnanimity or ignorance for not securing a wireless network? mine is secured, by the way.
0 Replies

scrimp212

Reply Mon 12 Jun, 2006 06:35 pm
yitwail wrote:
duly noted. again, scrimp or timber, if you'll indulge my curiosity, is there any reason besides magnanimity or ignorance for not securing a wireless network? mine is secured, by the way.

Speed....its actually a bit faster for both the wireless network adapter and the router to communicate on an unsecured network. The reason being with each request from the network adapter contains the WEP key string that is examined by the router and authenticated then granted access to perform the request. The regular user will not notice the difference since its a very small one.

Only other thing I can think of is if u have no neighbors within a 100+ feet radius of your house Cool
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:28 pm
Scrimp is scary! Great (scary) avatar.

So...... life is still hell. I called verizon to rant and got "there's nothing we can do to make it go faster)." Then, today (4 days ahead of the latest finish-date), they send me an email saying that it's connected. The excitement soon died when I realized that I can't connect. I have borrowed my sister's computer (mine died last friday and is at camp in temple texas having some RnR) and I need to physically connect to the dsl box and load a disc in order to configure the blighted thing. My sister's child-sized laptop has no disc reader, no dsl-puter cable (for physical hookup). What a ridicu--- (beggars can't be choosers)--.

So, now I wait for Dasha to get home and use her 'normal' laptop or I figure out where to download the drivers and any other software on the web using the patchy connection I'm (not pirating) using.

Can you tell that I'm on the edge? I can......
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:35 pm
Oooh, this is all very familiar from when we moved. There were a series of "there, all taken care of... d'oh!!!" setbacks, infuriating.

Hope it gets resolved soon.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 08:38 pm
Thanks, Soz.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 09:07 pm
<sipping well deserved beer>

<swearing>

<wiping sweat from brow and stretching neck>

<swearing more>