Welcoming Chinese Students & Hands Across the Sea

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 08:40 pm
Tryagain--

I'm afraid these kids aren't even up to "Knock-Knock" word play--although if you could get some simply puns across they would probably circulate around the CUMT campus for years and years.

Dadpad--

You are a wicked man.

Osso--

Sometimes I want to talk to the teacher. Sometimes I want to serve the teacher a Western Breakfast with homemade, egg-based mayonnaise
that has been left a room temperature for 36 hours.

If this is a 12 week course, surely they will gain some proficiency in navigating A2K--even if the information won't be on the final.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 08:45 pm
I dunno, noddy, that they will gain any navigating savvy, if we don't nudge them to it somehow. Not that I'm all so internet savvy, but I'm ahead on this one, re most of the students.

If they ever review the responses...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 08:53 pm
It looks like some of them only have access once a week, as I noticed a few responses today to some of last Monday/Tuesday's questions.

A few of them seem to have mastered returning, and continuing the discussion and/or saying thank you.

When I think of my early internet days, and in particular, my foray into a German vampire site, I think the ones who return are doing very very well.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 09:00 pm
Osso--

Absolutely--they need nudging to learn and grow and flourish.

They need nudging one by one by one....

EhBeth--

You're another tactful warrior, accumulating stars in your crown.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 07:13 am
A lot of 'em are very sweet. They're young folks, and yes, it seems that a lot of them are using the computer lab and probably only once or twice a week. I've seen a lot of thank-yous, plus a lot of questions that turned pretty thought-provoking.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:01 am
Some kids whose questions I answered have said "thank you"--and some kids who have evidently been lurking have also said "thank you."

Obviously an advanced English Class met last night.

A2K International?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:17 am
I've done a few of these this afternoon. I think we almost need a new forum for Chinese students learning English.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:31 am
I try to answer as many as possible where I feel I have some help to offer.
an example of this is there a couple of unanswered posts pertaing to football and the world cup. I do not feel qualified to make comment on soccor.

I just hope those that dont get a reply will not be dissolusioned or feel rejected in some way.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 08:54 am
TA-DAAA!

Light dawns!

Part of the term grade for this English Class will be based on a speech--in English--about the differences between Eastern and Western breakfasts.

At least two students are humbly sorry for having forced me to provide a link.

I don't think Chinese Universities "understand" the turmoil of late adolescence. I think either you keep your grades up or you go back to the rice paddy--or more likely the garment factory.

Wilso--

Have you noticed that first thing this morning there were more than 60 unanswered questions from China. Four hours later, I'm forced to look for unanswered questions. Every little bit helps.

Dadpad--

I'm not going to talk about sports of any sort to anybody. What are the differences between Eastern and Western People Who Do Not Love Sports?

Happy thought. Suppose all these kids graduate and go into business in successful enterprises. These enterprises all want to expand into the Western markets and they all elect to advertise on A2K.

What is "pipe dream"? Also pie in sky?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:17 am
dadpad wrote:
I try to answer as many as possible where I feel I have some help to offer.
an example of this is there a couple of unanswered posts pertaing to football and the world cup. I do not feel qualified to make comment on soccor.

I just hope those that dont get a reply will not be dissolusioned or feel rejected in some way.

I've answered several of those, by providing a link to FIFA's World Cup Germany web site. In one case in which it was pertinent, i was careful to point out that i don't follow international football, and can't personally comment.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:23 am
Sheesh! Every time I go to the English forum, all the questions have already been answered. Looks like you've got enough helping hands now.

Now all we need is more questions....
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:25 am
EYE eye cap'n
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:26 am
I was going to suggest that you click on "Unanswered"

http://www.able2know.com/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

But it seems like they've all been cleaned up from there, too!

Good goin', people!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:29 am
I feel......"excess to requirements".

[Reyn looks around wondering what to do next]
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 09:57 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2080975#2080975
this was an interesting exchange.

reyn Eye was refering to your avatar modifications which i had not noticed before.

why dont you see if you can find an HI story about chinese personages
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:04 pm
Reyn--

Never fear, they'll be back next Tuesday and Wednesday.

Set--

Touching, isn't it, that they are young and humble enough to assume all Westerners have Universal Expertise?

Dadpad--

I got some Chinese characters for the linking site. Very humbling.

SEEK AND YE SHALL FIND:

I asked one of the more fluent students for information and learned that CUMT is in Xuzhu in Eastern China.

A English Language Google link:

http://www.fallingrain.com/world/CH/4/Xuzhu.html

A compendium of links:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Xuzhu&num=10

I classify this as ENTHUSIASTIC FLUENCY:

http://elysium.na-systems.com/

I'd never heard of Xuzhu--and this is just one university. Look out, world, here they come.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:06 pm
Aw Hell, they ain't but a few more'n a billion of 'em . . . i ain't skeert . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:48 pm
Set--

You're an old fashioned swashbuckler.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 12:52 pm
There's a long joke among the Canadians about a half dozen Newfies who propose to invade the United States, and send a letter to that effect to the President. He writes back to tell them how many thousands of tanks he has, how many thousands of aircraft, and that he has more than two million people in the armed forces.

They write back and tell him they're callin' the invasion off, because they couldn't feed that many prisoners . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:54 pm
Set--

You transplant well.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 02:22:30