Welcoming Chinese Students & Hands Across the Sea

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 01:03 pm
There are a lot of Chinese Students practicing English on A2K.

Some of these students need less practice than others.

Because A2K has been a place for me to learn and grow, I spend a certain amount of time every Tuesday trying to answer some of the student's questions. Of course other members do this as well. Setanta has been doggedly educational.

For several weeks I've noticed that when I answer a question, other people chime in--and meanwhile there are many, many unanswered questions.

I've wondered why. Then I realized that many A2k regulars browse "New Posts" rather than "Unanswered Questions" or "New Topics". Most of the questions are in the "English" forum and can be found in the English Forum Index.

Students are students--young, hasty, and oblivious to etiquette and netiquette. The Chinese government may censor Yahoo and Google in Mainland China, but A2K can provide an uncensored view of the English speaking world.

Perhaps I sound old-fashioned and corny, but when I answer their questions I feel quietly patriotic.

Join me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,602 • Replies: 40
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 01:17 pm
I try to answer when I can. When I get free time I wander on over to the Unanswered section and see what is around. If I can help, I'll stick in a paddle and row.
I have to admit, it sometimes seems like we are doing all the work for them, unless they are being told to seek their answers online like this. But I'm willing to help out.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 01:41 pm
I don't usually hang out in English since mine shouldn't be emulated. But I'll go have a look now and see if there are any simple ones.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 01:50 pm
I enjoy communicating with the Chinese students, and often will answer............if someone has not already beat me to it! Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:35 pm
T_s_a--

I have a feeling that these kids are not computer savvy. Certainly they are beginners on the English Language portion of the World Wide Web. As I remember Google arrived in China about a year ago. A year ago most of these kids wouldn't have had enough fluency in the English language to ask a question.

I'm also guessing that these kids did not grow up with a Personal Computer in the corner of the living room. If they were lucky enough to attend public schools with computers and with access to the Internet, they probably had very limited access time.

This week I've noticed that some students who asked questions last week and the week before are becoming more conversational. Some are even saying, "Thank you."

I've noticed that you've beat me to some threads. You might harbor impatience in the depths of your black soul, but it doesn't show in your replies.

FreeDuck--

You'll be welcome. Some questions are asked over and over--I suspect either they are homework questions or "suggestions" for conversational topics with English speaking people.

When I feel enormously benign, I Goggle for an answer and include the Web Address in my reply. Eventually some of them might be able to do their own research.

Of course, some "questions" are more a plea for conversation than for information.

Phoenix--

Of course you've been right there beside me on the beach, saving starfish after starfish. I notice that you've been getting some thanks for your help--and that some Chinese students are trying to communicate in living color.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:42 pm
Excellent.

Consider it done. ;-)
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 02:42 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
T_s_a--

I have a feeling that these kids are not computer savvy. Certainly they are beginners on the English Language portion of the World Wide Web. As I remember Google arrived in China about a year ago. A year ago most of these kids wouldn't have had enough fluency in the English language to ask a question.

I'm also guessing that these kids did not grow up with a Personal Computer in the corner of the living room. If they were lucky enough to attend public schools with computers and with access to the Internet, they probably had very limited access time.

This week I've noticed that some students who asked questions last week and the week before are becoming more conversational. Some are even saying, "Thank you."

I've noticed that you've beat me to some threads. You might harbor impatience in the depths of your black soul, but it doesn't show in your replies.

Heck, I wish I had grown up with a computer in the corner of my living room. I didn't have one until I was 18, and didn't get online until a year after that. My little school certainly didn't have internet access. We only had three computers, and the secretary and principal had two of them.
But it is nice to lend a hand once in a while, instead of just trading barbs as I usually do.
Incidently, my sould isn't black. It's a lovely shade of orange. I'll be darned if I know why, though. :wink: Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:22 pm
Shewolf--

Perhaps the Chinese Students will divert your mind from your adorable daughter and her growing independence?

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:24 pm
T_s_a--

Wasn't there a recent thread, "Orange is the New Black"?

Or perhaps you're Scots-Irish?

Or perhaps you just don't want to rhyme with anyone--only reason.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:27 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Wasn't there a recent thread, "Orange is the New Black"?

You're right. Maybe my soul is black after all. Ah, well. What can you do.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 03:36 pm
T_s_a--

Quote:
Maybe my soul is black after all. Ah, well. What can you do.

Congratulatie yourself that you're up-to-date?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:13 pm
I'm at the forefront of the fashion world. What a . . . boring place. Drat this orange soul!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:18 pm
Daaarling--

Arthur must suffer for Art.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:10 pm
I try to help out when I can, though I haven't been as diligent about it as others. But I feel like it's a good way of doing a "good deed for the day." It requires little effort but can be a great help to someone.

Still, if I may register just one grouchy comment: what is really starting to grate on my eyes are these incessant questions about breakfast.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 05:41 pm
I'm ready. It's nice to have some new souls around. Yeah, I noticed they are talking more now.

I admit: I was ignoring them for a while. I figured it was a flood and they might all disappear. Now that it is clear they're going to be around for a while....

Welcome All. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:31 pm
Shapeless--

I know what you mean about that "Good deed for the day" feeling.

Early on one of the innumerable Breakfast threads was featured in Food and Drink. I just post that link for any Breakfast threads I encounter.

I'm getting a very soft spot for the students who actually use the subject line for the subject. "Help" and variations of "help" aren't very informative. Neither is "?".

Constant dropping wears away the stone. Maybe the "stone" in China Language Students--maybe the flinty hearts of A2K.

Flushd--

Charge into Battle! Fight the good fight! Fribble the cross-cultural cross-purposes!

Unfortunately questions are posted on Monday night and Tuesday morning people start with the lastest postings--this means that the early birds catch fewer worms.

Suppose every English Language class in China discovers A2K?
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:39 pm
There are over a billion Chinese, and I note that their English, no matter how written, is a billion times better than my Chinese. I too will make an effort.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:44 pm
When I answer such a post I try hard not to give the wong answer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:46 pm
I still wish the teacher would post here, as it might be interesting to converse with him or her and to facilitate all this.

I tried to indicate on one of the breakfast threads that there was a forum where all these questions were going, and how he or she (I forget) could access it, but I guess it all just sounded grumpy from me. OK, yeh, there was some grumpy in there. But, I thought it would be nifty to teach them to navigate a bit.

All this reminds me, I wonder how JB is... he gained english competency by leaps and bounds, even journeyed to England...
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:03 pm
dadpad wrote:
When I answer such a post I try hard not to give the wong answer.

You make a good point DP. The problem is; there are too many Wings and Wongs in the phone book, and it is very easy to ring the Wong number. Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Welcoming Chinese Students & Hands Across the Sea
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:27:08