0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:18 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:23 pm
Tico wrote:
Is Miller's post (above you) a disconnect or am I missing something? It doesn't really matter.

There ya go ... that's one of the core princples. Now, clap your hands and stomp your feet, marking spirited cadence while chanting the following inspirational cheer:

It Just Doesn't Matter!
It Just Doesn't Matter!
It Just Doesn't Matter!

(Thanks for the cheer goes to Bill Murray and his wonderful movie, Meatballs Laughing)

Quote:
Silly. But there it is.

By George, I think she's got it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 03:53 pm
Tico wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
...There are very few relative newbies on this thread. It would be interesting to know how THEY are perceiving this site, as someone who never knew what was.

I don't think you'll get any response, Phoenix. The last 10 pages or so have devolved to the personal byplay of the regulars. It's kinda like watching a well-scripted and well-written comedy skit. It's fun, but you can't expect the audience to break into it.

Why not jump in and give it a try?

Believe me, you will be welcomed.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 11:07 pm
Tico, whatever happened to badboy Lastman who transplanted his pubic hair on his balding pate?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 7 Jun, 2006 11:20 pm
Oh you mean, the "ringworm kid"?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 12:37 am
Re: Is A2K Losing Some of its Luster?
nimh wrote:

Yeah, just thought it was odd that the top sites wouldnt grow along with the total volume - you'd think that the new internet users use the top sites in roughly equal proportion to the old users, and that they would thus grow along in comparable measure with total internet traffic.. (unless like I was speculating, its a language thing, but the top Chinese sites werent showing a systematic increase on Alexa either..)

Alexa's calculations are all ratios. For example, the reach ratio is a number per million internet users.

So yahoo, for example with about 28% reach of internet users would have an alexa reach rank of about 280,000.

This is why I said that you won't find any evidence of a growing internet on Alexa. Think of it as a market share measurement and for sites to go up in the ranking they not only have to be growing in traffic but growing in the total share of internet traffic.

So a site's traffic can actually grow while the alexa rank diminishes even if the alexa statistics are accurate.

Quote:

Craven de Kere wrote:
As to the internet growing, I don't get why you are trying to measure that through the alexa stats. Nothing they have in their free statistics will show you that growth.

Silly question perhaps, but is there actually any kind of place where they'd collect some sort of stat on err, total internet volume/site visits? Even just extrapolating from sample data or something? Or is that simply technologically impossible because of the sheer scope?

It's about as possible as much other statistical calculations you reference in political research.

I don't know of a single easy resource to get what you want. When I need data I've used agencies like Nielsen and comScore but I've never needed to know that particular statistic.

Extrapolation of some kind would be needed to get a total user number, as the internet's protocols and architecture really only can count computers visits and such (so you could, in theory, find ratios of human traffic vs machine traffic and ratios of unique humans to traffic and use the total).

Thing is, most such extrapolation from sample data would need to already know the total. Alexa and Neilsen use sample data and get the total externally as far as I know.

The only place I know that they may be getting it from would be the itu ( http://www.itu.int ). I see media outlets and sites like this http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm quote statistics all the time, but I haven't run into any such citation that tells exactly how they reached their numbers.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:40 am
Once upon a time, all the women on this site used to love me. Now they love kicky <SIGH>

Yeah, some of the luster is indeed gone

<BIGGER SIGH>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 04:47 am
Prince- There, there. Some of us still love you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:45 am
Nonsense. I never loved Kicky. It's always been you, G.

Well, you and Francis, that is.

Okay, you and Francis and Dys.

Make that you and Francis and Dys and Joe Nation.

And...oh, a couple dozen others.

But never Kicky. (Sorry, K, but you're too whiny.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 10:48 am
the prince wrote:
Once upon a time, all the women on this site used to love me. Now they love kicky <SIGH>

I've met ya both.

Who's the one I keep begging to come visit again?

Not that there's anything wrong with Kicky. He's just not Sparky Cool
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:04 am
Eva wrote:

And NOW, my dear, NOW I'm going to post some really good photos!

:wink:
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 11:21 am
Don't worry, Walter. You're one of the "couple dozen." :wink:

And I know I'm not photogenic. No need to prove it any further. You probably got a dozen photos of me with my eyes closed, weird expressions, lighting that makes blondes look sick, etc. I've only been happy with about six or eight photos of myself in my whole life.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 01:00 pm
Eva wrote:

Crying or Very sad [Reyn runs away, as he's not on the list] Sad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:26 pm
Thats the problem with posting lists... ;-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 03:27 pm
Re: Is A2K Losing Some of its Luster?
Craven de Kere wrote:
Alexa's calculations are all ratios. For example, the reach ratio is a number per million internet users.

[..] Think of it as a market share measurement and for sites to go up in the ranking they not only have to be growing in traffic but growing in the total share of internet traffic.

Oh Duh. Yes, of course. <insert slapping-own-forehead smiley). Yes, that makes sense..

Craven de Kere wrote:
So a site's traffic can actually grow while the alexa rank diminishes even if the alexa statistics are accurate.

Yes, if theyre accurate thats what happened to our site recently, apparently :-(
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 05:38 pm
I love you all.......ommmmmmm......

nearly
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 8 Jun, 2006 09:52 pm
Reyn wrote:
Crying or Very sad [Reyn runs away, as he's not on the list] Sad

What?! Don't be silly, of course you're on the list!

nimh wrote:
Thats the problem with posting lists...

Nimh didn't make it, though. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 9 Jun, 2006 12:28 am
Like Olga said.....lustre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The basic, overwhelming problem with this site is the lack of decent discussion on CRICKET!

Cricket - that most intellectual of occupations! More absorbing, entrancing that the combination of religion, war and Bush-hating (although that is a special category!)

Cricket - develops character, patience, humility, numeracy, agility co-ordination, and several other good things....

One of the great cricket challenges of the past 200 years is approaching - and where's the discussion! Where's the analysis?

See!!! No wonder the site is going to hell! It's all the fault of the Murricans (like most else!)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/11/2024 at 08:20:01