U.K. 'gallows-maker' exposed as hoax

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 01:09 pm
Seems to me what this fellow needs is a brain transplant, or maybe a lobotomy.

U.K. 'gallows-maker' exposed as hoax

MILDENHALL, England (UPI) -- A man who sells pet food in England that attracted national attention in Britain with his claims he was making gallows for Libya has been exposed as a fraud.

David Lucas, 45, attracted reporters to his pet food shop in Mildenhall, outside of which stands a gallows Lucas built to show his support for capital punishment.

He claimed he was selling them to the governments of Libya and Zimbabwe for as much as $22,000, The Times of London reported Thursday.

More than 30 British newspapers, along with the BBC and Sky News covered his story, which has fizzled out since his business partner, Brian Rutterford, came forward.

"It is a hoax that has got completely out of hand. I know David well, work closely with him and I know he has built one set of gallows -- the one that remains outside his shop on my land," he said. "The rest is rubbish."

Rutterford said Lucas had been keeping up the rumor because he likes talking to the media about capital punishment, the report said.

"If he was building gallows for foreign governments, I think I would know about it," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 242 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:11 pm
He just wanted to be a Celebrity--or a World Authority.

If you don't go after your fifteen minutes of fame, no one is going to bestow notoriety upon you.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 03:32 pm
I'm wondering if it's as much as 15 minutes these days. I think inflation has eaten away at that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 04:12 pm
Reyn--

I just finished a book on middle class lavish weddings. Nowadays some people feel they are entitled to a full day and more in the spotlight--and are willing to pay thousands of dollars for the experience.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 04:18 pm
Well, it just goes to show you that folks with lots of money aren't always the sharpest knife in the drawer.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » U.K. 'gallows-maker' exposed as hoax
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 01:22:49