Woman fined $173.50 for throwing lettuce from car

Reyn

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:21 am
Woman fined $173.50 for throwing lettuce from car

EASTON, Pa. - A woman asked a judge to toss her $173.50 fine for throwing lettuce out of her car, but he ordered her to fork over the green.

Dawn Higgins, who was cited Oct. 18 while parked outside a Wal-Mart near Easton, appeared in Northampton County Common Pleas Court on Thursday.

Higgins has said she took her daughters and a friend to the store, and they stopped at a McDonald's along the way. She said she pulled into a parking space to finish her meal but decided not to eat the half-dozen or so leaves atop her salad.

After failing to appear before a district judge on Dec. 22, Higgins discovered that she had been convicted in absentia and owed the state $173.50. She appealed, arguing that lettuce is biodegradable.

President Judge Robert A. Freedberg on Thursday found Higgins guilty after listening to her attorney pepper a police officer with questions about lettuce.

Higgins is mulling an appeal to state Superior Court "as a matter of principle," said her lawyer, Timothy Prendergast.

"Probably the most expensive McDonald's salad ever sold," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 843 • Replies: 7
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:27 am
I wish they'd just leaf her alone. This could be just the tip of the iceberg. Just where was this cop's head, anyway?
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
I'm surprised they were able to ketchup to her.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:33 am
I know that MCdonalds in Easton. Its in the very end of town where the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers and the canal meet. Its a neat spot but the Mickey D's is usually full of hookers who want to "give a happey ending to your lunch" I dont go there any more , place grosses me out.

Stupid dumass cops. Lettuce is a biodegradable substance, I woulda done the same. What if I woulda dumped the ice out of my Super size drink?

Reyn, ...dude... zat you?, your gonna scare the zhit outta the children
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:47 am
farmerman wrote:
Reyn, ...dude... zat you?, your gonna scare the zhit outta the children

Yes, indeed. It's showtime!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:50 am
Reyn kinda looks like Howie Mandel on crank.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:53 am
Damn you're one ugly mo-fo!

I didn't think dumping some lettuce on the ground would be littering.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 12:44 pm
Farmerman--

You're closer than I'd thought.

The incident was covered in the local papers when it happened. The follow-up story doesn't mention that when the cop asked her not to litter she cussed him out and tried to drive away.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Woman fined $173.50 for throwing lettuce from car
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:27:24