Canceling AOL

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 07:27 pm
How do I cancel AOL? I'm looking for a link or phone number to cancel my account but can't find either. Thanks for any help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,154 • Replies: 10
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:09 pm
The only way out is feet first....
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 08:49 pm
Cancelling an AOL account is a trip through A-O-Hell. Finding cancellation info on their website is a no-win proposition; if its there, its damned hard to find.

A phone # that MIGHT get you headed down the path you want to follow (US Only): 1-888-265-8008 - but don't get your hopes up to high too soon; if you do get through to a human, your cancellation request is gonna get all sortsa resistance.

There also is a FAX # to which supposedly you can send a cancellation request: 1-801-622-7969

Perhaps the best way is to send a Certified letter to:

America Online
PO BOX 17100
Jacksonville, FL 32245-7100

Use the following format whether faxing or using snailmail:

AMERICA ONLINE CANCELLATION REQUEST

(Insert date here)
Please cancel AOL billing account # (enter your AOL account number as shown on your AOL contract, bill, or statement) for:

Account Name: (Full name of contracting/billed party, as shown on AOL contract, bill or statement)
Home Phone: (Enter phone # associated with AOL account)
Alt. Phone: (List any phone #s you may have used to activate your AOL account)
Billing Address: (Your full address including any apt. or suite number, as shown on your AOL contract, bill or statement)
Screen Name: (Only the PRIMARY screen name with which you log onto AOL, DO NOT list any subsidiary screen names)
Answer to Secret Question: (whatever that is)
Last 4 digits of card or bank account debitted for monthly bill: (whatever that is - just the last 4 digits, DO NOT list the entire account#)

Signed: (Your signature)
(Your typed name)

Hand-sign the letter, above your typed name, keeping a copy for yourself, and attach the Post Office receipt for the Certified Letter fee - keep them in a safe place. Immediately, and physically in person if at all posible, contact the appropriate financial institution and request - in writing, and get written confirmation - that from that date forward no further payments from your account(s) be authorized to AOL or any of its subsidiaries. You probably will have to pay a fee for this.

From the date of your cancellation request, cease using AOL and/or any AOL-related apps, such as AIM or music services - just plain DO NOT LOG ON TO ANY AOL APP, SERVICE, CLIENT, OR FUNCTION. Using Add/Remove Programs, uninstall any and all AOL-related software. Using Windows Explorer, search for and delete or at the very least move and rename all folders with names beginning with or containing AOL, America Online, and AIM, and any other files named or containing the same. Be sure as well to disable then uninstall or delete any AOL-branded browsers, browser extensions, toolbars, media players, email and chat clients, search assistants, anti-spam, antivirus, anti-spyware, popup blockers, and download managers. Its a good idea to purge your registry and your .dll cache of any AOL-related entries as well, though that can be both tedious and tricky; there's gonna be a bunch of 'em. All in all, the easiest, surest way to get AOL's tentacles outta your 'puter is to back up your desired apps and data, your drivers, favorites, desktop settings, and non-AOL email, wipe your drive, reformat, and reinstall everything - except AOL's crap, of course - from scratch.

With all that done, get ready for the fun to begin; there's likely to be additional entertainment before the curtain finally closes on the show. You might find it worthwhile to become familiar with your local Better Business Bureau and your State's consumer protection and retail standards and practices divisions.

Good luck.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:39 pm
Dayum! Canceling the old MNBA credit card was easier than that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 09:39 pm
It always amuses me how difficult is seems to be to change from AOL to some other provider ... in the USA.

Just two clicks here (in Europe/Germany).

(As an aside: AOL is one of the best providers ... according to independent consumer bureaus here, especially due to easy handling, clear website etc :wink:
[Whioch certainly has a lot to do with different consumer laws.]
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 06:25 am
I just found this information.
Canceling AOL

We value your membership with the AOL® community. However, we are really sorry that you're considering canceling your AOL® account. It's our mission to build a service that lives up to the high standards of the online community. We hope you've enjoyed being an AOL member and that we can help you again in the future. For security reasons, AOL accounts cannot be cancelled either online or through e-mail. You can get your AOL account cancelled either through phone, US mail or fax.

To Cancel Your AOL® Membership Over the Phone
To cancel your AOL account over the phone, all you need to do is call up AOL® Member Services at 1-888-265-8008. You can speak to our representatives to get your account cancelled. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

To Cancel Your AOL Membership Though U.S. Mail
You can request the cancellation of your AOL account through the U.S. mail. Just send your request to:

AOL
PO BOX 17100
Jacksonville, FL 32245-7100

To Cancel Your AOL Membership Though Fax
If you prefer sending in your request through fax, please send it to us at 1-703-433-7283.

Notes:

If you choose to write or fax us, please include a brief note stating the nature of your request, the primary billing contact's full name, phone number, address and handwritten signature.
In addition to that, for account security purpose please provide any one of the following:

The master screen name of the AOL account
The last four digits of the current method of payment (for your security, please include only the last four digits)
The answer to the account security question of the master screen name.
Cancellation will take effect within 72 hours of receipt of your request and AOL will send you a written confirmation. Please note that AOL LLC reserves the right to charge and collect fees, surcharges or costs incurred before your cancellation takes effect. Thank you for using AOL.
Related Articles:
Access to Your Backup Files Upon Cancellation of AOL® Service
Cancel My AOL® Account Because of Online Privacy Concerns
Cancel the AIM® Service
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 07:35 am
Thanks for posting that, VM - looks as though I hafta update my info; the FAX # has changed sometime in the past year or so. Other than that, seems everything else is still the same as I suggested. Be sure to let us know how it goes, and if you run into problems removing AOL's software from your machine, just holler.

Remember - completely cease using AOL and any AOL services, apps or clients from the date of your cancellation request, and instruct your financial institution to deny any further payments from your account(s) to AOL.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 07:54 am
timberlandko wrote:
Thanks for posting that, VM - looks as though I hafta update my info; the FAX # has changed sometime in the past year or so. Other than that, seems everything else is still the same as I suggested. Be sure to let us know how it goes, and if you run into problems removing AOL's software from your machine, just holler.

Remember - completely cease using AOL and any AOL services, apps or clients from the date of your cancellation request, and instruct your financial institution to deny any further payments from your account(s) to AOL.

I intend to notify my bank not to except anymore requests for payment from AOL. If they give me a hard time I will also file a complaint with the Maryland Attorney Generals office of Consumer Protection.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:00 am
You can check out any time you like,
but you can never leave.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 08:46 am
BBB
This is good information. I'm thinking of canceling my AOL because of poor service.

BBB
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 12:18 pm
All this makes me want to cancel just to annoy the hell out of them.
And I don't even have anything AOL on any of my machines.
Twisted Evil
0 Replies