Odyssey Essay

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 02:38 pm
I am a freshman in high school and I have recently tried reading the Odyssey by Homer. When I cannot understand the poetic form, I turn to SparkNotes. I have to write an essay on how a character in the Odyssey is seen in a metaphor. My metaphor is how Odysseus' journey is similar to a garden. My symbols within this metaphor are as follows: Odysseus is the growing flower, Athena is the MiracleGrow that helps Odysseus on his journey, Poseidon is the weeds that are trying to kill Odysseus for revenge for Cyclops, and Zeus is the gardener that is watching over the entire situation. We need to have a specific situation, so my situation is the shipwreck by Poseidon and how Athena helped him onto the island. Also in my essay, I must include a theme and how my theme is seen in the real world. I need help on deciding on a theme. Thanks guys... -Rylan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 531 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 02:41 pm
Re: Odyssey Essay
rhomscheid wrote:
Athena is the MiracleGrow

Laughing This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while. I'll never look at Homer the same way. Laughing
I'm sorry, I know this was no help, but I couldn't resist.
0 Replies

rhomscheid

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:11 am
help
please help me, this essay is due soon
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 11:39 am
It has been far too long since I last read the Odyssey for me to be of any help. But surely someone here can offer some advice on it. Keep checking in.
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 01:08 am
hmmm
hmmm
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 01:37 am
Re: Odyssey Essay
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
rhomscheid wrote:
Athena is the MiracleGrow

Laughing This is one of the funniest things I've read in a while. I'll never look at Homer the same way. Laughing
I'm sorry, I know this was no help, but I couldn't resist.

Poseidon as weeds isn't bad, either, but it should be seaweeds. Laughing

rhomscheid, i wish you luck but i'm no help either.
0 Replies

xguymontagx

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 02:26 am
Themeds
It's been a long time since I read the Odyssey, but I will try to help.
There are two themes that I would probably use if I had to write your paper. I hope this post is useful to you.

theme one: Mortal man vs. the Gods (which is really like saying man vs. nature especially when you look at the things Poseidon does in this story.) At every turn Poseidon or some demigod is putting obstacles in Odysseus' way often in the form of using the weather against him. Often Odysseus is simply trying to survive against these elements or other beasts and monsters that threaten his crew.

Theme two: One overarching theme that the Homer and the Greeks loved was the concept of an individuals pride and being the best that one could be. Odysseus is already shown to be an exceptional person who is trying to retain his virtue.

Really the Odyssey could be seen as a contest between Posiedons and Odysseus' pride. Poseidon feels early in the story that odysseus has insulted him and overstepped his bounds within his territory. Odysseus continues to deny this until towards the end of the story when he makes amends with posiedon.

Odysseus pride can also be seen at the end when he kills all the men who are in his home trying to take what's his including his wife and kingdom. His wrath in someways towards those men is alot like the treatment he gets form Posiedon throughout the story.

also the story presents alot of reasons that the reader could see why Oddyseus would have pride in himself. Often in both the Illiad and the Odyssey you can see how exceptionally clever and intelligent odyssues is. Whereas physically he is shown many times to be of above average strength like when he is the only man storng enough to sting his bow or when he can thow a wagon whell much farther than someone else throws a norman discuss(actually on the discuss example don't quote me I think it was this story but I can't quite remember.

The actual theme I would use for this story may actually be a combination of this two themes.

I hope this is helpful to you.
0 Replies