Pregnant weather girl prompts complaints

Reyn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 02:42 pm
Well, that's just plain stupid! I guess there would be complaints if someone happened to be over-weight, too? Mad

Pregnant weather girl prompts complaints

Television viewers in Switzerland are campaigning for a heavily pregnant weather girl to step down.

Dozens of viewers have written to the Tele-Zueri station to complain about blonde forecaster Jeannette Eggenschwiler.

But Ms Eggenschwiler, from Zurich, says despite being eight months pregnant she enjoys her work and is not ready to take maternity leave.

"They seem to find watching a pregnant woman on TV embarrassing, and some have even attacked me personally calling me 'perverse'," she said.

"Being pregnant is one of the most natural things in the world and I'm not going to hide it. I'll go off air when I'm ready."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 809 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 03:01 pm
Strange. I thought that Switzerland was a particularly civilized country. In the US, we got over the bias against pregnant women on TV when Lucille Ball was pregnant with her son Desi, in 1953!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 03:03 pm
Although it was never clear how Lucy got pregnant when she and Desi slept in twin beds!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 03:04 pm
Yeah, but don't forget that these are the same bunch that stole gold, jewels, and money from trusting Jews that deposited with them during WW2. Mad
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 03:08 pm
Switzerland was the home of John Calvin and Ulrich Zwingli's "Godly Republic" in Geneva, which executed unruly sons and adulteresses in accordance with Leviticus. This does not surprise me at all. Tight-assed Protestants are the same the world over.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 05:18 pm
I had to come back to post after I'd clicked away from this thread. Would it have been ok if she had been brunette?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 06:09 pm
Hair colour should have nothing to do with it.

What does it matter if the person was pregnant, over-weight, skinny, or whatever? Can they do the job should be the only criteria.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 07:19 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Although it was never clear how Lucy got pregnant when she and Desi slept in twin beds!

Absense makes the heart grow fonder?

Twin beds were sooo fifties. A slight surcease, perhaps, for mates of snorers...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 06:19 am
Not only did married couples sleep in twin beds on TV and in the movies, there was usually a night table between the beds.
In 1953, in the movie, "The Moon is Blue", there was a word that was uttered that changed films forever. The word was, "pregnant", which had not been uttered in film since the rise of the Hayes office.

You might want to see the original NYT review of the film:

Link

If you could get to view it, you would be amazed at how civilization has changed since the 1950's. That film was considered shocking at the time. Shocked
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 07:41 am
Reyn wrote:
Yeah, but don't forget that these are the same bunch that stole gold, jewels, and money from trusting Jews that deposited with them during WW2. Mad

Well...I worked for the Independent Committee of Eminent Persons which investigated the disposition of these assets, reporting in 1999 on each bank...at least, I managed the investigation at one bank in Zurich.

It's not entirely fair that they stole everything. In many cases, records were kept which would have allowed rightful descendents to claim, if only they had known that the money was there. Of course, knowledge of the deposits of some victims of the Nazis often died with them.

However, having spent several months living and working there, I can agree that the Swiss are a strange lot. The older generation is often highly traditional and so wedded to the idea of neutrality that the younger generation is rather more rebellious (e.g. visible facial piercings are more common than in any other Western European country I've seen, there is far more graffitti than one would expect of such an affluent country and their laws on cannabis are close to those of Amsterdam).

In any case, this is a country in which the last Canton to allow women to vote in regional elections did so in 1971 Shocked

Not all "civilised" places are alike! Responding to a heavily pregnant woman on TV is par for the course in this kind of environment, I would say.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 07:44 am
Its crazy.Maybe pregnant women should be banned form listening to the weather report!!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 08:23 am
Yes, undoubtedly pregnant women should remain cloistered in seclusion from conception until childbirth. Or maybe they could wear a chador.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 09:13 am
I love "the bump" it makes me feel all protective.

there should be more of it.

Hey anyone wanna practice.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pregnant weather girl prompts complaints
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 02:26:40