25 people suffer bumps and bruises in English cheese chase

Reyn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 09:35 am
25 people suffer bumps and bruises in English cheese chase

Twenty-five people were injured in an annual cheese-rolling competition, where daredevils chase giant cheeses down a steep slope in western England, organisers said.

Dozens took part in the bizarre event at Cooper's Hill in Brockworth, Gloucestershire, before a crowd of some 3,000 laughing and cheering spectators.

They raced for 200 metres (656 feet) down the slope after the wheel-shaped Double Gloucester cheese, decorated in a blue and red ribbon.

Many slipped, somersaulted and tumbled their way to the bottom during five bone-crunching races over two hours.

Of the 25 people hurt, 12 were spectators, one of whom was hit by one of the hard, dinner-plate-sized cheeses used in each race.

Only two people were taken to hospital for further assessment, however.

The organisers said the number of injuries was comparatively low.

"We usually average around 30-40 people who need treatment," said Jim Jones, operations training manager for St John's Ambulance.

"The most serious injuries this year appear to be a dislocated finger and a possible fractured ankle," he told Britain's domestic Press Association.

The wet weather helped protect the racers, as they were able to slide down the slope rather than tumble head-over-heels, said organiser Richard Jefferies.

"It's been a very successful year," he added.

Among the winners of the five races was Chris Anderson, 18, who knocked himself out to claim the title.

Afterwards, the dazed window fitter said: "I just ran, fell and hit my head. I feel sore but it was definitely worth it."

First prize in each race is a big circle of cheese.

People from as far afield as Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden and the United States travel to the hill every year to take part in the cheese roll.

The unusual event has been celebrated for centuries and is thought to have its roots in a heathen festival to celebrate the return of spring.

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/afp/20060529/capt.sge.bjc66.290506154355.photo00.photo.default-512x315.jpg
Competitors fall down the slope at Cooper's Hill, Gloucestershire during the area's annual Cheesrolling event. Twenty-five people were injured in an annual cheese-rolling competition, where daredevils chase giant cheeses down a steep slope in western England.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 664 • Replies: 8
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:09 am
Ah, but the glory of being the first to roll ones cheese down the hill first is worth the pain and suffering! Could you imagine telling your grandchildren about the time you rolled your cheese? The children will gaze upon you with wonder and astonishment! Such an honor!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:12 am
The winning prize isn't worth jack!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:33 am
anyway you slice it, the contestants weren't very sharp.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:50 am
Last year, I seem to remember a few broken bones.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 11:55 am
but not you, or you'd remember. maybe you just had a concussion, is that why you're not sure? Razz
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:03 pm
There's a thread on it somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:10 pm
Re: 25 people suffer bumps and bruises in English cheese cha
Reyn wrote:
Of the 25 people hurt, 12 were spectators, one of whom was hit by one of the hard, dinner-plate-sized cheeses used in each race.

i bet that wheely grated on the guy who got hit.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:19 pm
the last competition
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 25 people suffer bumps and bruises in English cheese chase
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 10:46:26