Sgt Pepper

kev

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:22 pm
I just watched the tribute to George Harrison and on it Eric Clapton said that he hadn't acheived his Sgt Pepper yet meaning that he didn't think that he had reached the peak of his profession.

Why does anyone regard this piece of crapiola Sgt Pepper as anything other than a waste of the price of a take out curry?

It has to be the most amateurish piece of junk in music history.

Why do so many people worship this tripe?

and incidentally I think the Beatles wrote some of the greatest rock songs of all time, but this has to worst thing they ever did.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 827 • Replies: 8
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:26 pm
I disagree with you. I love that album.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:36 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I disagree with you. I love that album.

I know from past posts that you do Edgar and I respect your opinion.

If your avatar is current by the way you must be looking after yourself you look younger than ever Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 09:49 pm
That pic is about two years old. Thanks.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:09 pm
I'm not a huge Beatles fan...I lean more toward the style of the Rolling Stones, just more my taste. I really can't stand the "I Wanna Hold Your Hand", "Baby You Can Drive My Car" stuff....I actually like the Beatles solo work better...yep, I'm a Wings fan.

But, I do recognize the greatness of the band as a whole, the writing team of Lennon/McCartney has yet to be matched. And the fact that they had a major influence on those that came of age in the 60's, can not be taken lightly. And with that said....

....I would consider "Sgt Pepper" to be a weak album, there are only two songs that I can listen to, and usually not in their entirety..."Lucy In The Sky" {mainly for the drum work} and "When I'm Sixty-Four". If I run across them on the radio, I might listen to, or even sing along for a few bars...then usually hit the seek button.

-----

Yeah Edgar, much better pic than the previous one.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:08 am
Sergeant Pepper is held in high esteem generally because it broke the mould of how albums were made. ie the album finally became more important than the single.

A lot of music historians also consider it the point at which 'rock n roll' became 'serious music', that is to say, 'had artistic worth'.

And it's one of the first 'concept' albums. (The concept, originally, was about writing about the lives as kids...).

Strangely Strawberry Fields would have been on the album but to keep CBS happy they released it as a single - and in those days singles weren't included on albums - the logic being the public had already bought the single so putting it on the album was double dipping. How innocent were the times.... Penny Lane was in the same boat.

Personally I think it's in the top half of their output, but as a whole I can't listen to too much of their work (as a band or solo) in one go. They were very gifted in the melody department, and the song construction department.

And it was originally going to be called 'Doctor Peppers...' but they thought the good doctor would sue them - he tried to anyway because even Sergeant was too close....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 12:23 am
I like Sgt. Pepper - and liked it, when it came out (although, I've been more a Stones than a Beatles fan in those days).

[Strawberry Fileds was one of my TOP favourites as well Penny Lane - but I didn't tell anybody, then :wink: ]

Jimi Hendrix' version (played in Stockholm, 1967), shows, IMHO, how impressive this album has been ... on some, at least.
0 Replies

Les Paul

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 01:19 pm
yti
Sergeant Pepper's is just a song..................... why do people take such offense at one song (no matter what song that may be).

The Beatles wrote many songs that were and are considered tripe (Maxwells Silver Hammer, Yellow Submarine, Etc).

But then think of songs like:

Something
A Day in the Life
While my Guitar Gently Weeps

I could go on forever.

The point being that, one mans tripe, is another mans treasure.

In other words:

Different horses................... For different courses.

We are all different............... Like what you like and let others do the same....

Peace.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 01:54 pm
Well, kev won't answer: he died in January.
0 Replies