Highest Fall Survived Without A Parachute

Reyn

Reply Sat 27 May, 2006 08:47 pm
Highest Fall Survived Without A Parachute

Vesna Vulovic, a flight attendant from Yugoslavia, survived a fall from 10,160 m (33,330 ft) when the DC-9 airplane she was traveling in blew up over Czechoslovakia (now Czech Republic), on January 26, 1972. A terrorist bomb was thought to be the cause, and no other passengers survived. Vesna broke both legs and was temporarily paralyzed from the waist down.

Vesna remembers nothing, but later learned that a former nurse, Bruno Henke, saw Vesna's legs sticking out of the fuselage. Bruno cleared Vesna's airways before rushing her to hospital. Three days later she awoke from a coma in a hospital in Ceska, Karmenice.

She says, "I was so lucky to have survived! I hit the earth - not the trees, not the snow, but the frozen ground." Strangely, the first words she uttered, "Can I have a cigarette," were in English!

Luckily, she suffered no psychological trauma, and no fear of flying. Prevented from returning to her job, she forged a new career in administration. "I was able to fly over the world for free," she says. Her experience has helped her form a philosophical attitude towards life. "I believe we are masters of our lives - we hold all the cards and it is up to us to use them right."

http://org.zorpia.com/0/1817/11632241.750158.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,231 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 10:07 am
If she was still in the aircraft when it struck the ground, she was in a plane crash and is not a survivor of a parachuteless fall.

Joe(no silk involved except her stockings)Nation
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:01 am
I don't really know where to find it, but i've seen a video of a many falling a thousand feet or more when his parachute failed to open. He landed in a back yard (i believe this happened in Florida), and like something out of a cartoon, the shape of his body was left in the lawn, which was water-logged, and therefore had broken his fall without killing him. He had many broken bones, but survived. I really don't know where to start, but if i can find anything on it, i'll post it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:10 am
Here's the incident for which i saw a video:

Quote:
Cypress Gardens, FL: In June of 1975, Arch Deal made a skydive as part of a promotional stunt for Channel 8 News. His parachute failed to open and he fell 3,000 feet into "loose soil" in an orange grove. Spectators found him there alive thirty minutes later. Deal returned to skydiving and has made 4,500 jumps since his accident, many of them as head of the Miller Brewing Company's skydiving team.

This can be found at The Free Fall Research Page, which has several other interesting stories to report.

From the same folks, here is the Unplanned Free Fall? page.

Wikipedia has the following:

Quote:
At least three airmen survived free falls of around 20,000 ft (6,000 m) without a parachute in the Second World War; Lt. I.M. Chisov was a Russian bomber pilot, Sgt. Alan Magee an American gunner on a B-17, and Sgt. Nicholas Alkemade a British gunner on a Lancaster bomber. It is estimated that a person free falling horizontally reaches a terminal velocity of around 120 mph (200 km/h) after a fall of just 1,000 ft (300 m), so the additional 19,000 ft (5,700 m) doesn't make these falls that much more dangerous, apart from the lack of oxygen at high altitude. All three men lost consciousness during their falls, and two of them landed on terrain covered in deep snow, which was probably a significant factor in the survivability of the falls.

The article then goes on to mention the lady Reyn has referred to. It also has lots of neat, convincing looking mathematical sh!t which ought to convince anyone as mathematically illiterate as am i that these jokers know what they're talking about.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:16 am
Setanta wrote: "the lady Reyn." Reyn's just as masculine as you nor I. I think.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:31 am
Stop pickin' nits, EB . . . it's beneath your dignity . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:34 am
Reyn ain't gonna like being called a knit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 11:36 am
I wonder if he's a double-knit--in lime sherbet green with white belt and white shoes . . .
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:40 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
If she was still in the aircraft when it struck the ground, she was in a plane crash and is not a survivor of a parachuteless fall.

No, this is what happened [from that Wiki link Set provided]:

Quote:
She remained strapped into her flight attendant's seat in the tail section of the plane, which remained attached to the washrooms. The assembly struck the snow-covered flank of a mountain.

Hence "Henke saw Vesna's legs sticking out of the fuselage", I suppose.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 05:32 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Setanta wrote: "the lady Reyn." Reyn's just as masculine as you nor I. I think.

That's okay, Edgar. I won't be baited into a bunch of confrontational back and forth B.S. here.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 05:35 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Highest Fall Survived Without A Parachute
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 10:50:06