Michigan Bakery Sells Hoffa Cupcakes (photos)

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 10:02 am
Does this strike you as a wee bit odd to any of you, or is it just me?

Michigan Bakery Sells Hoffa Cupcakes

MILFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - Cupcakes aren't usually a best-seller at the Milford Baking Company. But since the addition of a plastic green hand emerging from the chocolate-flavored sprinkles and frosting meant to resemble dirt, the bakery can't make enough of the desserts.

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/HOFFA_SEARCH_COMMUNITY.sff_MIGM105_20060524171154.jpg
Cashier Laura Hosbach, 19, prepares an order for a customer at The Milford Baking Co., Wednesday, May 24, 2006, in Milford, Mich. The store is selling cupcakes featuring plastic hands posed in a rising-from-the-grave manner as a macabre reflection of the ongoing local investigation seeking the remains of Teamsters boss Jimmy Hoffa.

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/HOFFA_SEARCH_COMMUNITY.sff_MIGM106_20060524174718.jpg
Laura left, prepares a cookie order for Kailey Higgins, 7, at The Milford Baking Co., in Milford, Mich., Wednesday, May 24, 2006, as cupcakes with hands protruding from them sit in the foreground. As the search for the remains of Jimmy Hoffa intensified on a farm near Milford, residents of the small Michigan community that is home to the search were having a little bit of fun with it. Store manager Elaine Aittama of Highland Township says that they have sold roughly 500 of the cupcakes and have had to order more of the decorative hands to keep up with demand.

In the week since dozens of FBI agents, police and others invaded this small community 30 miles northwest of Detroit to search for the remains of former Teamsters chief Jimmy Hoffa, local businesses are taking advantage of the national spotlight aimed at them.

With humorous signs, specially made T-shirts and themed meals, business owners are poking fun at the search while trying to attract more customers.

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/HOFFA_SEARCH_COMMUNITY.sff_MIGM108_20060524171238.jpg
Main Street Art store manager Suzanne Gilbert of Highland Township, right, places an order Wednesday, May 23, 2006, for customers Kelly Cubel, center, and her daughter Stephanie Cubel, 14, of Milford for t-shirts that read, "THE FBI DIGS MILFORD DO YOU?" in response to the ongoing Hoffa investigation.

About 500 of the 95-cent cupcakes had been sold as of Wednesday afternoon, with orders coming in from all over the Detroit area. One businessman even waited outside the bakery at 5 a.m. so he could treat co-workers, and an FBI agent ordered three dozen to take to those working at the dig site, co-owner Laura Helwig said.

While basketball-shaped Detroit Pistons cookies also are a popular item, the Hoffa cupcakes are the best single-day seller ever at the bakery, Helwig said.

The bakery has ordered an additional 700 green hands with the expectation that demand will remain high. The FBI has said the search, which began May 17 at the Hidden Dreams horse farm, is expected to last a couple of weeks. The FBI on Wednesday intensified its search for Hoffa's remains, using an excavating machine to knock down a barn.

"I never dreamed it would take off like this," Helwig said as she put icing on a batch of Pistons cookies. "We're just trying to have fun with the whole thing."

Another local business, Main Street Art, has sold 50 to 75 T-shirts with an ironed-on decal that reads: "The FBI Digs Milford, Do You?"

Main Street Art owner Leslie Watson said she has received orders for the $15 shirts from as far away as Virginia and Florida.

"We thought there would be interest here, but not nationally," Watson said. "We're just trying to keep up."

Business owners are quick to say they're not trying to offend but want to have a little fun with the media hoopla.

Lu & Ruby's Bar & Grill offers a $12.95 Hoffa Steak Salad "buried under field greens with mushrooms and edible flowers."

The local Dairy Queen changes its large white sign daily with new sayings. On Wednesday, it read: "Old McMaster Had A Barn EE I EE I O," referring to Rolland McMaster, a Hoffa associate who owned the farm at the time of the former Teamster leader's disappearance in 1975.

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/HOFFA_SEARCH_COMMUNITY.sff_MIGM102_20060524171341.jpg
A sign in Milford Township displays a humorous message relating to the ongoing local investigation into the whereabouts of the remains of Teamsters boss Jimmy Hoffa, Wednesday, May 24, 2006, in Milford, Mich.

"We've been having a great time," Dairy Queen manager Joyce McNulty said. "People tell us they can't wait to drive by daily to see the new signs."

Across the street at Bakers of Milford, a restaurant and banquet hall, general manager Angelo Nardoni said his business also was having some fun with the situation.

On Wednesday, its sign read "Hoffa Mile Down The Road Experienced Diggers Wanted" on one side and "Welcome To Milford Have A Hoffa Day!!" on the other.

"The whole town is abuzz," Nardoni said. "But if it's got to be somewhere, why not here?"

Although some members of the community are focusing on the goings-on at the farm, Milford Township hasn't changed much to Lynnette West, a 65-year-old resident of nearby Highland Township.

As she shopped downtown Wednesday afternoon, West said most residents were busy with planting flowers and preparing for the annual Memorial Day parade.

"I wish they'd find him," she said. "I just think it's a waste of money though."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 821 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:18 pm
C'mon, this is a great story!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:21 pm
You're right. I missed it when you posted it. Where'd you dig this up? It was buried in the archives, I'll bet.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:19 pm
Human being seem to have a need for festival, not just for established holidays, but for seizing a momentary event and turning it into a socially binding experience.

I wonder how the green-hand cupcakes would have played just after 9/11? They probably wouldn't be popular in mining towns.

Still, festival is festival and the macabre flavor can be a triumph over death as well as an in-your-face, shock-the-world.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:29 pm
HA! Laughing

I think that's GREAT!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:32 pm
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
You're right. I missed it when you posted it. Where'd you dig this up? It was buried in the archives, I'll bet.

Absolutely not. It's a current one.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:35 pm
I hope they're working in teamster locate the body. Hopefully, it won't take much labor.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:35 pm
Reyn wrote:
tin_sword_arthur wrote:

Absolutely not. It's a current one.

Those were PUNS, dang it all! Sure they were bad, but geez. Rolling Eyes :wink:
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:36 pm
Personally, I find your puns striking.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:38 pm
Thank you. And I hope you didn't have to picket you brain too hard to get them.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:40 pm
No, I just had to organize my thoughts.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:41 pm
Ah. Had to get them working in union, huh?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:45 pm
At first, my reasoning was a little Wobbly. But now they all walk the line. CIO a lot to my ability to remain clearheaded.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:53 pm
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
Those were PUNS, dang it all! Sure they were bad, but geez. Rolling Eyes :wink:

Oh, I see, the penny drops now. Laughing
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:56 pm
Well, you can pick the penny up and put it in your pocket. I've run out of puns, good or bad, for this thread. Cool
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:56 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
No, I just had to organize my thoughts.
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
Ah. Had to get them working in union, huh?

Yeah, that's what I had in mind! Good work, fellas (as in goodfellas).

No, I'm not a wiseguy. Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:17 pm
Laughing

blacksmithn wrote:
At first, my reasoning was a little Wobbly. But now they all walk the line. CIO a lot to my ability to remain clearheaded.

(at all the other ones too ;-))
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 05:42 pm
Digging slows search for Jimmy Hoffa
Digging slows search for Jimmy Hoffa

May 25, 5:05 PM (ET)

MILFORD TOWNSHIP, Michigan (Reuters) - FBI teams on Thursday sifted by hand through dirt from a chest-deep hole in the ground in an intense search for the body of labor leader Jimmy Hoffa three decades after his disappearance.

Wearing Evidence Response Team T-shirts and hard hats, FBI agents directed a work crew that used heavy equipment to rip up the concrete floor of a horse farm barn demolished a day earlier.

Investigators then worked by hand to sort through soil under the foundation of the barn and could be seen photographing and videotaping potential evidence around a hole marked off with yellow crime scene tape.

Orange work cones marked what had been the perimeter of the barn on the Hidden Dreams Farm near Detroit.

The investigation was triggered by a tip from Donovan Wells, 75, a federal prisoner serving time for marijuana trafficking who lived on the farm at the time of Hoffa's disappearance.

A former lawyer said Wells offered the information to the FBI 30 years ago. Now, he has offered it again in hopes of securing a reduced sentence.

The farm was previously owned by Hoffa associate Rolland McMaster. It is about 20 miles 32 km from where the legendary Teamsters union boss disappeared on July 30, 1975.

No trace of Hoffa has ever been found, and no one has been charged in the case.

Wells, who has reportedly passed a polygraph test, told his lawyers that he saw men burying what appeared to be a body with a backhoe on the farm a day after Hoffa vanished.

Hoffa was last seen outside a Detroit-area restaurant where he was to meet New Jersey Teamsters' boss Anthony "Tony Pro" Provenzano, a member of the Genovese crime family, and a local Mafia captain, Anthony "Tony Jack" Giacalone. He had called his wife to say no one else had shown up for the meeting.

He disappeared just as he was to embark on a campaign to get reelected to his post as president of the Teamsters sparked a nationwide investigation.

Hoffa was declared dead in 1982, and numerous books about his life have pinned his disappearance on mobsters who murdered him because they did not want him interfering with their close ties to the union.

http://imgfarm.com/images/reuters/full/2006-05-25T210437Z_01_NOOTR_RTRIDSP_3_ODD-CRIME-HOFFA-DC.jpg
A team of investigators work to recover crime evidence connected to the 1975 disappearance of Teamster's Union leader James R. Hoffa at a horse farm in Milford Township, Michigan May 18, 2006. FBI contractors tore apart a barn on a Michigan horse farm on Wednesday, looking for the body of Jimmy Hoffa as they pursued a long-neglected lead in the labor leader's 1975 disappearance.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Michigan Bakery Sells Hoffa Cupcakes (photos)
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:29:32