Signing up for Runescape - Unsecure?

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:08 pm
So, my son loves Runescape and plays it with his collection of friends from around the U.S. and the world.

He asks me to sign him up for a membership so he can better communicate with his member buds. These are kids that I know, and I know their parents, so that isn't my primary concern.

When I tried to sign him up, they're asking me for credit card information, and the site isn't secure. No lock, no https... what the hell?

Anybody here a member? Thoughts? Reservations?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,208 • Replies: 11
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:20 pm
Not a gamer, so no direct experience w/Runescape, but if a site wanting any sorta personal info - let alone financial info - has a signup page that ain't secure, my interest evaporates like ether on hot metal.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:26 pm
Exactly. But here's the thing. When I go to their signup page, there is no lock or https...but when I try to leave, I get that IE popup saying "You are about to leave a secure connection...". What the heck? Is it secure or not? How would you know?

SBC/Yahoo has the same thing on their sign in page now, with the disclaimer "Why this is secure". I go to lengths to get back to the old secure page to get in.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 08:40 pm
Craven, are you there?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 06:51 am
Bump. Can anyone explain this?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:25 am
Is there a contact number you could try calling to see why the page appears to be unsecured? I wouldn't trust an email address, anyone can set those up for anything with just about any name.
In my experience, unless there is a lock on the lower right of the screen and the address of the page starts with "https", it's not secure.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 06:28 pm
Signing up for Runescape - Unsecure?
No lock, no https = no credit card info in my book.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 06:30 pm
Ditto

Joe(big ditto)nation
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:45 pm
It is possible to have secure and unsecure items on the same page.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Sun 28 May, 2006 10:56 pm
I think Runescape can probably be trusted.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 12:08 am
it is not uncommon to have both secure and non-secure elements on a given page. It also is not uncommon for legitimate concerns conducting business over the internet to provide an alternate, not-web-based, secure means for conducting financial transactions. Personally, while I expect an endeavor conducted, authorized or otherwise endorsed by Runescape could be trusted, I generally won't even give a website I do not know to be trustworthy so much as a legitimate email address. That said, I suppose that if there is a [email protected], I owe someone an apology.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 29 May, 2006 03:20 am
And do you live at 123 Main Street with me or 1313 Mockingbird Lane with the lovers of early TV?

My mother's maiden name is Jones. She didn't know that and there is no record anywhere confirming it. It is, however, amply recorded in the files of many major shopping websites.

Joe Nation
123 Main Street
East Wheatfield, Ohio
eieio

(It's hard to find on a map)
0 Replies