My Next Toy

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:32 am
I can't believe you're getting bashed for calling it a toy. People take sh!t so literally. Whatever, not even worth a response.

I've always wanted to shoot a handgun, just never had the opportunity. Of course I mean in a range, not shooting dogs for sport.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:35 am
cjhsa wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:
I used to refer to my guns as toys as well..

<sigh>

It was perhaps a bad choice of a word. I never play with guns, I treat them with ultimate respect.

Do you still have them?

actually i wasn't saying you used a bad choice of words at all. Laughing
i was just making the point that I used to say that as well.

No, i don't have them any more ... thats why I say 'used to'

I had 22 LR
44 glock
9mm
30-6
and a sawed off double barrel shot gun. Wich almost broke my shoulder.
Shot it twice
kept it for looks because it scared the **** out of me. Laughing
Needless to say, it was sawed down incorrectly , and had an illegal barrel length.

Sold them all about 7 years ago.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:39 am
shewolfnm wrote:

Including the illegal shotgun??? The police will be knocking on your door shortly.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:41 am
Agreed that people shouldn't overreact to cjhsa's calling his gun a toy. He's just trying to provoke a reaction, as per usual...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:44 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

Including the illegal shotgun??? The police will be knocking on your door shortly.

No. not that one.
It was taken to a police station.

I bought and sold them all legally. ;-)
Dont worry..

The shotgun was "fixed" by a younger friend of mine at the time who thought it was cool to saw the barrel off.
He didnt know legal limits, nor did he understand the power of a shotgun.

When i took it to the police dept in NM , I explained just that , and since it was registered in my name, ( im sure I skated by on this) I wasnt given too much flack..
just a lecture, and a note in their books about who I was and what I brought in.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:46 am
D'artagnan wrote:
Agreed that people shouldn't overreact to cjhsa's calling his gun a toy. He's just trying to provoke a reaction, as per usual...

I don't think so.

People do consider their guns "toys," but that doesn't mean they don't respect them. It can be a hobby like anything else.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:50 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

I don't think so.

People do consider their guns "toys," but that doesn't mean they don't respect them. It can be a hobby like anything else.

That's the same thing I took out of it. He's calling them "toys" in the same way that others refer to their cars or boats or whatever as "toys", not to suggest that they should be or are played with in any irresponsible manner.
I understand some here think cj's a "gun nut". Maybe he is, and maybe he isnt. But give the guy a break. He was just talking about his latest purchase.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:51 am
Well, if he's a gun nut for enjoying his toys, then I am too for having enjoyed them when I owned them as well.

Nuts A-hoy!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:52 am
I wasn't trying to promote any reaction other than a normal A2K response to any thread that gets posted here.

Besides, I'm just dreaming for the most part. My wife would probably kill me with her bare hands if I brought one home. Wink
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:57 am
Between my parents and I, this is our aresenal.

.22 Colt pistol
.38 "Lady" S&W
.22 Browning LR (really nice)
.22 Marlin LR (the plinker)
.410 single shot shotgun
.16 Browning "Sweet Sixteen" humpback
.12 Browning humpback
38-55 Savage antique rifle
32 Winchester Special carbine
32 Winchester Special rifle

Wow, 10 guns, all with unique purpose. Does that make us gun nuts?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:59 am
I'm sure you will get a resounding yes on that, cj. I don't like guns, myself, and would never own one, but to each his own.
By the way, don't be surprised to hear about your choice of the word "arsenal", too, no matter how well it describes a group of ten guns.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 10:59 am
Aren't they a soccer team?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 11:15 am
What I really need to add to that list is a Beretta Optima II 12-gauge that accepts the new 3.5" shells, and a modern deer rifle that is easy to find cartridges for. Those three deer rifles are all antiques and finding ammo is difficult (especially for that 38-55 Savage). Heck, my 16 is hard to find ammo for too.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 11:54 am
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
In cj's defense, many hunters carry a pistol as a sidearm, a backup weapon in case whatever they shoot doesn't die and they don't have time to reload. If your rifle or bow gets knocked out of your hands by an animal you've shot attacking you, you still have a second weapon to use that's a lot more effective than a knife.
I have an uncle who's life was saved by his sidearm when a bear he shot with his bow came at him. Instead of trying to fit and fire another arrow, he and his hunting buddy pulled their sidearms and dropped the bear (VERY large handguns, if you are wondering).

Why shouldn't the bear have an equal fighting chance?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:00 pm
Intrepid wrote:
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
In cj's defense, many hunters carry a pistol as a sidearm, a backup weapon in case whatever they shoot doesn't die and they don't have time to reload. If your rifle or bow gets knocked out of your hands by an animal you've shot attacking you, you still have a second weapon to use that's a lot more effective than a knife.
I have an uncle who's life was saved by his sidearm when a bear he shot with his bow came at him. Instead of trying to fit and fire another arrow, he and his hunting buddy pulled their sidearms and dropped the bear (VERY large handguns, if you are wondering).

Fine. Give the bear a gun and count off ten paces.
I'm not sure how to equal it up, since without the gun, the bear has the advantage over the human. And even with the gun, the bear isn't exactly at a loss. Have you ever seen a bear after it's shot? They aren't happy. And it takes a lot to put them down. If you don't get that kill shot on the first try, you have about 5 seconds to try again before the bear decides you might make a good scratching post.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:01 pm
tin_sword_arthur wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
tin_sword_arthur wrote:

Fine. Give the bear a gun and count off ten paces.
I'm not sure how to equal it up, since without the gun, the bear has the advantage over the human. And even with the gun, the bear isn't exactly at a loss. Have you ever seen a bear after it's shot? They aren't happy. And it takes a lot to put them down. If you don't get that kill shot on the first try, you have about 5 seconds to try again before the bear decides you might make a good scratching post.

Qustion. What is the purpose of shooting the bear in the first place? Fun??
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:03 pm
Maybe to teach him to keep his paws of your pic-a-nic basket.

Damn you, Yogi!
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:04 pm
Hunting. Sport hunting, the same reason people hunt deer or fish. Population control, food, etc.
Ask an actual hunter, though, to get a real answer. I never have, and never will, hunt. I'm going by the stories, photos, and movies my uncle used to show us.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:18 pm
Humans have no choice but to be stewards of wildlife. Part of that is population control, in the form of hunting. Hunting in north America is strictly regulated to ensure survival of all species. Some may argue that these regulations favor game animals over non-game animals, and I can understand that.

My solution would be to make them all game animals. Smile

While I hunt and fish for fun and relaxation, I don't kill stuff other than rodents that I don't make full use of.

I probably wouldn't shoot a bear except in self defense. If I did manage to kill one, I'd keep the rug and give away the meat - no thanks.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My Next Toy
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:21:57