Legless man told to pick asparagus

Reyn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 05:01 pm
Legless man told to pick asparagus

An unemployed German man with no legs has been told to get a job picking asparagus.

Winfried Gutschwager, 47, said he was outraged when he received a letter from his local job centre saying they had found him a job harvesting asparagus.

"My disability was clearly recorded when I went to sign on for benefits. They simply have no respect for anybody," said the Berlin man, who lost his legs to diabetes last May.

Job centre spokesman Andreas Kanter, 51, apologised saying: "It was an unfortunate mistake due to the fact the client's records had not been updated."

It is not the first time the German welfare office has come under fire for its treatment of people with disabilities.

Last year a woman with no arms and no legs was told she could not get full handicapped benefits because she was not disabled enough.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 683 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 05:13 pm
That's typical. Somerville motor vehicle registry had me recorded as retired AND preagnant. I'm neither. I hope.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 05:39 pm
Theres welfare reform for you. Hartz IV at work..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 06:15 pm
Isn't anyone else sick and tired of the legless getting a free ride?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 06:49 pm
seriously, have they got no shame?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:07 pm
Like the bumper sticker says: "NO LEGS, NO SHAME"
0 Replies

soul collector

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 07:35 pm
funny you mention that
on tv last night they were telling of some one who cant walk or talk that unless he got a job they would cut his transport finance off.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:26 pm
Where are those guys when there's plenty of pun material here!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 10:45 pm
I tried to think of one, but I was stumped.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Legless man told to pick asparagus
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 06:14:07