This might sound Stupid...

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:58 pm
I'm not sure if I should be putting this thread in the Philosophy and Debate section, but I'm going to anyway....

I've been reading through some of the subjects in this section of the forum for the past couple of days and the things I'm reading are mind blowing. I think I might be in love with philosophy. I was just wondering if anyone could recomend any books that I could buy? Some intro to philosophy kinda books. I live in Canada (I don't think that matters) so I was checking out Chapter's website, but all the books seem kinda pricey. A lot of them were over 100 dollars, and a few were as high as 300 dollars! I'm not sure if this is to be expected, or if I'm just searching for something rediculous. I'd like to find a book that talks about random ideas and concepts, famous philosophers, etc. Kind of like an intro guide to philosophy.

If anyone could help me, It would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,239 • Replies: 12
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 04:05 pm
check out wikipedia and search for philosophers, philosophy, etc this should give you an overview of the philosophers and their philosophies
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 04:06 pm
Read all of this and you'll be off to a great start!
http://www.willdurant.com/home.html

Or start disagreeing with everybody here and see what happens! You'll not be thought of any less, as long as you are thoughtful and polite and congruent and open minded.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 04:12 pm
also, welcome to the board, another canadian, good, there are too few of us around
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 04:17 pm
Right, welcome. All three of us that have posted so far here are Canadian. Synchronicity is afoot!
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 05:56 pm
Brian-

The books of Sir Henry Rider Haggard are quite cheap and they contain all the essential philosophy you are ever likely to need.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:19 am
One word:

Nietzsche
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:21 am
And, of course..my man Schopenhauer, and Wittgenstein has some cool **** to say as well. Wittgenstein will leave you looking at written and verbal comunication in a whole different light.
Also, Albert Camus is good (for french existentialism)

I am particular fond on the philosophy of Anton LaVey as well..but that certainly isn't for everybody Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:01 am
Will and Ariel Durant are a good start. Plato is good, too, very, very comprehensible and the origin of a lot of modern Philosophy.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 07:53 am
Check out these threads:

Link
Link2
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 02:41 pm
oh dear, canadian is it? that makes all the difference.

afraid you can't be helped.

good luck.

but try this little ditty. excellent bathroom reading for the constipated,......"the Blue and Brown Books" Ludwig Wittgenstein, excellent and simple (and at $15US is whole of a lot less than $300) it will make you think, about thinking.

stay away from Plato, he'll rot your brain out.

btw: you'll fit in fine with the rest of your buddies from the Great White North around here.

http://sctv.org/characters/mckenzie/bobanddoug.jpg
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 03:24 pm
Oh man, look at all them doughnuts, eh?
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Tue 30 May, 2006 02:14 am
Quote:
And, of course..my man Schopenhauer, and Wittgenstein has some cool **** to say as well. Wittgenstein will leave you looking at written and verbal comunication in a whole different light.
Also, Albert Camus is good (for french existentialism)

Intriguing. What sort of stuff do they talk about DrS? I have never heard of a book written entirely about philisophy, which is odd coz ive heard of a lot of stuff.
0 Replies