U.S. man seeks $1.6 mln in dead dog suit

Reyn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:41 pm
Is a dog worth 1.6 million dollars? What do you think?

U.S. man seeks $1.6 mln in dead dog suit

PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - An Oregon man has filed a $1.6 million "loss of companionship" claim against a neighbor who ran over his family's 13-year-old dog, Grizz.

Raymond Weaver ran over the golden retriever and cocker spaniel mix in 2004 with a pick-up truck, forcing the owner, Mark Greenup, to have the animal euthanized, according to a lawsuit by Greenup.

Greenup, whose claim is usually reserved for the loss of a spouse, says the dog provided each member of his family with solace, affection, friendship, love and protection.

Larry Dawson, the driver's attorney, said the dog's injuries were not serious enough to require euthanasia and wants the court to dismiss the loss of companionship claim.

"I've owned dogs and I love them dearly," said Dawson. "But they are by law personal property and you do not get noneconomic damages for personal property."

The case goes to trial on Tuesday in Clackamas County Circuit Court.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 602 • Replies: 9
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:21 pm
There is really a lot more to this story--

The man ran over the dog four times. During the back and forth over the dog the dog owner's children kept trying to pull the dog out from under the car, nearly getting themselves smashed in the process.

The man has already been convicted of cruelty to animals because of his actions.

Still, I think the case is ridiculous.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:29 pm
boomerang wrote:
The man ran over the dog four times. During the back and forth over the dog the dog owner's children kept trying to pull the dog out from under the car, nearly getting themselves smashed in the process.

Shocked Shocked Shocked WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH GUY?!? Outta run him over a few times. There are a lot of names I'd like to associate with this person (I use the term loosely), but I'd probably get kicked off A2K for the language.
Sadly, I have to agree that the lawsuit be thrown out. As attached as people get to their pets, they are just, legally, property. Damn shame.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:33 pm
"U.S. man seeks $1.6 mln in dead dog suit "

Couldn't he just dress in jeans and Tshirt, like everyone else?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:40 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
"U.S. man seeks $1.6 mln in dead dog suit "

Couldn't he just dress in jeans and Tshirt, like everyone else?

I just knew I posted this story in the wrong forum.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 03:46 pm
Quote:
When the case came to court, prosecutor Rusty Amos told a very different story, based on the accounts of Mark Greenup's partner, Therese Smetana, and the couple's two teenage daughters. Amos contended in court that Weaver ran over Grizz four times, breaking bones and inflicting other injuries so severe that the dog was euthanized.

Family members came running when they heard the commotion involving Weaver and Grizz. The two teenagers tried to rescue Grizz from under the truck and were almost injured because Weaver wouldn't stop moving, Greenup said.

"The girls were screaming, 'Daddy, Daddy, please, please, help' . . . while they were trying to pull him out from under there," Greenup said. "I'm affected for the rest of my life," said the 52-year-old logger.

Last spring, Clackamas County Circuit Judge Douglas Van Dyk convicted Weaver of first-degree animal abuse -- the intentional or reckless injury of an animal -- and of recklessly endangering another person, and sentenced him to 90 days in jail.

Full story: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/news/1148266525194030.xml&coll=7&thispage=1

I think the dog's owners deserve something and I think the man should pay a stiff penalty so that he'll think before he ever does something like this again. But 1.26 million is absurd.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 04:11 pm
Surely there must be a penalty for 'cruelty to animals'.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 04:22 pm
boomerang wrote:
I think the dog's owners deserve something and I think the man should pay a stiff penalty so that he'll think before he ever does something like this again. But 1.26 million is absurd.

Agreed.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:41 am
I haven't read the articles so perhaps my idea is out of line, but the suit re the dog is trespass to chattels (yes, animals are considered chattel). However, there should be quite a claim for intentional infliction of emotional distress. The dog would not be considered to have much value (it's a mixed breed, elderly and not a service dog), but the distress should be up there in settlement/verdict value.

What an awful thing to have happened.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 06:52 am
My dog is worth 1.6 Mil.

I'd have beat the **** outta my neighbor instead of taking him to court though.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » U.S. man seeks $1.6 mln in dead dog suit
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:29:28