Police Get Calls About Bikinis, TV Remotes

Reyn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:12 pm
Police Get Calls About Bikinis, TV Remotes

REXBURG, Idaho (AP) - Law enforcement agencies depend on citizens in the community to be their eyes and ears. But officials in this southeastern Idaho town aren't sure how to respond to reports of skimpy bikinis, lost TV remotes, menacing squirrels, and a report of a neighbor's shrub trespassing.

"You try to help, you don't want to seem uncaring," said Randy Lewis, a captain with the Rexburg Police Department.

Those kinds of calls come in daily to the police, including one where Lewis ended up using a lasso to capture a hissing badger running loose in an apartment.

"What a mistake," he said. "It about drug me off."

Even though many calls don't fall within what police normally do, officers still respond to complaints of loitering ducks and children who won't mind their parents.

Lewis said the Rexburg police probably get more of those types of calls than larger departments.

"We don't have a high frequency of serious crimes, though we do have murders, rapes, child molestations and bank robberies," Lewis said. "Thank goodness they don't happen every day."

Rexburg Police Lt. Ron Larson said he thinks many of the calls are caused by residents not knowing the difference between civil and criminal offenses.

"It might not have anything to do with the police, but they don't know who else to call," he told the Post Register.

Most of the unusual calls come during the summer, he said, and already the department has fielded calls about mean notes taped to trash bins and reports of residents receiving offers of being hypnotized over the phone.

Lewis said the hypnotist calls could be coming from students at Brigham Young University-Idaho as part of their homework.

But a university official said he is not aware of any class requiring that type of assignment.

Meanwhile, Rexburg police will continue to take the calls in stride.

"We don't want to discourage anyone from calling in," Lewis said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 326 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:41 pm
Humans can be such freaking morons.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:46 pm
You see these types of stories on Cops now and again. I can recall one episode where the police were called to a house for a ghost that was bothering the people living there.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 01:58 pm
what about that woman who called 911 because burger king couldn't get her order straight?

I seem to remember the operator asking her what she want her to do about it.

the person said he wanted the police to come over and straighten things out.

Humans can be such idiots.

Can you imagine being REALLY smart, like the guy who came up with the string theory, having to deal with this stuff going on around him every day?
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:03 pm
Or the 911 calls to check the time of day or to ask for a wake up call - there have been whole books written on the stupidity of some 911 callers.
Chai, since I like to sleep at night, I try not to think about what it would be like to have to deal with those people. :wink: I just thank my stars that there are people out there dedicated enough to deal with it and keep working.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 23 May, 2006 02:32 pm
I'd last about a day as a cop. Once I used up the pepper spray, I'd just HAVE to shoot some friggin' idiot.

Cat stuck in a tree? BAM! There ya go.

Junior won't mind? BAM! Problem solved.

Fire on 5th and Maple? Sorry, can't help ya. That's the FIRE Department. BAM!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Police Get Calls About Bikinis, TV Remotes
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 12:24:30