Best American Fiction of the Last 25 Years?

plainoldme

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2006 08:19 am
Did anyone list Charles Frazier's Cold Mountain? Great book that inspired Tim O'Brien's great recording which may have been called Down from the Mountain. Terrible movie with the horribly miscast Nicole Kidman.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 01:18 am
Did you mean Cold Mountain or Gold Mountain?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 02:06 pm
Why would I have meant Gold Mountain?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2006 06:30 pm
I had the pleasure of meeting Charles Frazier soon after his book came out. We talked a bit about the music and the musicians in his novel.

He was just what you'd expect, a gentle self-effacing young teacher who, though he had worked hard on his writing, was very much surprised at the public's warm response to it.

His parents, he reported, were not the bit nonplussed by all the accolades, they expected such things to happen to someone who writes a novel. "Landsakes!"

I very much agree with your take on the movie, very bad, but not as bad as Barbra Streisand's complete ruination of Conroy's Prince of Tides.

Joe
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 4 Aug, 2006 09:11 am
Joe -- When my daughter was an au pair in France, I flew over to visit her. Part of flying means that you get to see movies you would never have watched under any circumstances. The movie on the eastbound flight was The Mirror Has Two Faces, directed by Streisand.

Now, I would not have watched it except for the fact that my seat mate was a young Jewish woman from South America with whom I had shared a few hours of interesting conversation. She was excited about the movie because she loved Streisand. Since my her attention was taken by the film, I tried to watch it as well. Fortunately, for me, my headset was broken. I tried it for awhile, then gave up. I glanced occasionally at her screen, then slept.

On the flight home, I had a very interesting conversation with a man who was reading Call It Sleep. Since we were the same age -- that was about 10 years ago, so I was around 49 -- I asked why he was reading the book now. He told me that he was in a book group with his law school classmates and this was the choice of the month.

Interestingly, he ran the embargo against Iraq. We would have gone on talking but we hit some turbulence and all passengers were ordered back to their seats to be belted in.

The movie playing then was Michael, a picture starring John Revolta (a nickname I thought I made up) as an angel -- the theme of the 90s (just love pop culture!!!!). I dislike Revolta as much as I dislike Streisand and the movie was about halfway through. I didn't bother to tune in but I couldn't help seeing the movie as it was presented on much more visible screens on this plane.

I was struck by the soundless picture's realism which was in contrast with the stiffness of Streisand's movie. The actors in Michael moved easily and there was a naturalness in their expressions.

All this is in response to your comment about Babs and Prince of Tides. The woman can not direct, and, thankfully, she seems to have given it up.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 02:52 am
In the Striesand movie, I think it was called "The Mirror has two feces"
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Aug, 2006 06:54 am
Typo?
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 01:09 am
Its not a typo if you saw the Foul mouthed Striesand in that clinker!!!

Because she is irredeemably ugly, she should stick to singing. Her attempts at acting are a source of embarrassment for the audience and should be for her, also.

The most frequent question asked of her in School was:
Is that your nose or are you eating a banana?

Her ugliness is, I believe, the reason why she chose to portray herself in this movie, as a liberated woman who proves her independence and moral authenticity by using the F word ten or eleven times.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 05:55 am
BernardR wrote:
Because she is irredeemably ugly, she should stick to singing. Her attempts at acting are a source of embarrassment for the audience and should be for her, also.

I don't really think she should stick to that either.

Of all the American novels I've read, I've always found Philip K. Dick's to be quite good. I've read five, "A Scanner Darkly" (which I hear has been made into a movie), Valis, "Time out of Joint", "The Simulacra" and "The Penultimate Truth".

And I just can't decide which one is best.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 06:49 am
BernardR wrote:
Its not a typo if you saw the Foul mouthed Striesand in that clinker!!!

The most frequent question asked of her in School was:
Is that your nose or are you eating a banana?

Her ugliness is, I believe, the reason why she chose to portray herself in this movie, as a liberated woman who proves her independence and moral authenticity by using the F word ten or eleven times.

How could any man marry her?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:17 am
Such wonderful displays of intellection and gentlemanly behavior the world has never known . . . until this thread!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 11 Aug, 2006 10:25 am
Indeed. It's especially edifying when two puerile posters egg each other on...
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 01:57 am
Miller- As you may be aware, Striesand's son is gay. He is the product of the Striesand- Gould marriage.
Her son's status has embittered B. Striesand. She is now an Anti-war activist.

She is to be pitied--An aging and ugly yenta who has been abandoned
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 12:07 pm
BernardR wrote:
Miller- As you may be aware, Striesand's son is gay. He is the product of the Striesand- Gould marriage.
Her son's status has embittered B. Striesand. She is now an Anti-war activist.

She is to be pitied--An aging and ugly yenta who has been abandoned

The first marriage was to a Jewish man, the 2nd to a Chrisitan?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2006 12:09 pm
Bernard, have you read any of the critiques of Tennessee Williams
by Harold Bloom.
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Sun 13 Aug, 2006 12:58 am
No, Miller, I have not but I have noted that Harold Bloom has edited many of Williams's collections. Bloom lists Williams in his Canon, which is high praise. I must confess that I find Williams a bit too precious in Glass Menagerie and, only barely interesting in Streetcar. My favorite plays are those written by George Bernard Shaw!!! His Dream sequence from "Man and Superman"(performed many times on the stage) has no peer for me!!!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:37 am
I took an entire course on Shaw in graduate school. In eleven weeks, we read ten plays and their introductions and wrote two papers. A graduate student in theatre characterized the professor, who hummed and hawed a great deal, as pronouncing Shaw's name with three syllables, "Sha - ah - aw." It was true.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:04 pm
Bernard, have a favorite Miller or Williams play?
0 Replies

BernardR

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:19 pm
Yes, Miller, My favorite play of Arthur Miller's is "A View from the Bridge". I must confess that I was brought up in a similar type of envronment>
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 25 Aug, 2006 05:42 pm
Bernard, what about Williams?
0 Replies