Piano Found Near Summit of Mountain

Reyn

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 09:49 pm
Piano Found Near Summit of Mountain

LONDON (AP) - Volunteers tidying up Britain's highest mountain have found a piano near the summit, a conservation group said Wednesday.

The instrument was discovered at the weekend under a pile of stones near the top of the 4,418-foot Ben Nevis, according to the John Muir Trust, which owns part of the Scottish mountain.

"Our guys couldn't believe their eyes," trust director Nigel Hawkins said. "At first they thought it was just the wooden casing, but then they saw the whole cast iron frame complete with strings.

"The only thing that was missing was the keyboard, and that's another mystery," Hawkins said.

A cookie wrapper with an expiry date of Dec. 12, 1986, was found underneath the piano, suggesting it may have been there for 20 years.

Hawkins said he suspected the piano was carried up as part of a charity fundraising effort by a group who decided it was easier to bury it under a pile of stones, or cairn, than carry it back down.

"People have played rugby up there, and someone drove up a herd of llamas," Hawkins said. "It does attract a lot of wacky things."

Volunteers, who were also clearing trash left by some 120,000 people who visit the mountain every year, have broken up the piano and carried down the pieces.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 939 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Eva

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 10:02 pm
Maybe the piano got drunk and climbed up there by itself. Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 10:26 pm
I'm thinking the other story isn't involved here. Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 10:35 pm
Oh, I don't know. They both happened in England, didn't they? How do you know the man in the tree and the piano weren't drinking buddies? Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 10:51 pm
Eva wrote:
Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 11:05 pm
Was it a mountain or a hill?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 11:27 pm
Ben Nevis is near Fort William, in Scotland. It is 4,406 ft high.

http://www.gla.ac.uk/medicalgenetics/chighlands/morss_nevis.jpg

PIANO MYSTERY SOLVED.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1778495,00.html

.....however, this seems to be more likely.....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2188361,00.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 May, 2006 11:28 pm
Re: Piano Found Near Summit of Mountain
littlek wrote:
Was it a mountain or a hill?

Depends on where you live and how you usually call such there Laughing
Reyn wrote:
Volunteers tidying up Britain's highest mountain have found a piano near the summit, ...

Mount Ben Nevis (Beinn Nibheis):
- 1,343 m,
- one of 284 Munros (mountains in Scotland that reach an elevation of 3,000 feet (914.4 m) or more),
- 355 days a year cloud-covered, on average.

Photo from the 'Daily Record', Thursday May 18. 2006, page 26 of the print edition:
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/5747/zwischenablage023lg.jpg

But:
Quote:
Key to mystery of the Ben Nevis piano
THE mystery of a piano found on top of Ben Nevis was solved yesterday.

source: 'Daily Mail', Friday May 19, 2006, page 13, print edition.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 04:46 pm
Here's the text of the article in LordE's "timesonline" link:

Plot thickens over Ben Nevis piano
By Jenny Booth

A day after conservationists thought they had solved the mystery of why a piano is sitting at the top of Ben Nevis, there has been a new twist in the tale.

Kenny Campbell, a woodcutter from Ardgay in the Highlands, told The Times earlier this week how he had carried a 226lb musical instrument alone up to the 4,418ft summit of Britain's highest mountain, strapped to his back.

But now the conservation volunteers who found the piano buried under a pile of stones say that they believe the instrument is not the one carried up by Mr Campbell in 1971, but a piano hauled up the mountain by a group of removal men from Dundee in 1986.

Wrappers from a packet of McVitie's biscuits that Mike Clark and his team of Dundee removers washed down with a bottle of whiskyWe were absolutely knackered but happy we had achieved what we set out to do."

Mr Campbell did however manage to get into the Guinness Book of Records for his exploit. He told The Times that he dreamed up his epic solo feat to raise money for charity, but the training nearly killed him. His first attempt was in July. He strapped a 350lb piano to his back and started up the mountain.

"I got to a 1,000ft," he said. "It was too heavy. It was strapped to my back and I fell from a ridge, I fell down about 100ft and it shattered."

Mr Campbell however, was still in one piece and in August he made a second attempt, this time with an organ that weighed 250lb. "I got to 1,400ft before I tore a muscle in my arm," he said. Some would have given up, taking this misfortune as a sign that pianos were not intended to go up mountains.

Not Mr Campbell. That September he strapped himself to a third piano, weighing 226lb. This time he made the summit, whereupon he sat down and played Scotland The Brave.

"It was recorded in The Guinness Book of Records that I carried it up, but not that I played a tune," he said. "I'm not much of a pianist but I can manage that one."

Exhausted from the feat, he stumbled back down, leaving the instrument behind him. The money he raised went to the Imperial Fund for Cancer Research, which made him a lifelong governor in gratitude, but he found less gratitude among his countrymen.

"There was a row about the fact that I'd left a piano on Ben Nevis," Mr Campbell said. So he went back up, intending to carry it down. "All I could find was two planks from it," he said. "Someone must have done me a favour," he thought.

Today's revelation might have opened the intriguing prospect of duets on the top of Ben Nevis, if only volunteers could find Mr Campbell's instrument. But the conservationists have dismantled the Dundee piano and junked it.

Now it is the Dundee team which is wondering if they have blighted the environment. Mr Clark joked: "I certainly hope we will not be fined for leaving litter."

See? I just KNEW there had to be alcohol involved! Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 05:33 pm
You're right. Mischief and alcohol seem to go well hand-in-hand.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 05:39 pm
Eva wrote:

All the evidence is there, the piano, an empty whisky bottle. I think these other guys are just trying to get their names in the papers.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 05:50 pm
Ha! This should have been his first clue...that a piano doesn't belong up on a mountain, unless you can haul it up there another way...lol

Quote:
"I got to a 1,000ft," he said. "It was too heavy. It was strapped to my back and I fell from a ridge, I fell down about 100ft and it shattered."

And this would have been his second...lol

Quote:
Mr Campbell however, was still in one piece and in August he made a second attempt, this time with an organ that weighed 250lb. "I got to 1,400ft before I tore a muscle in my arm," he said. Some would have given up, taking this misfortune as a sign that pianos were not intended to go up mountains.

REYN
Quote:
You're right. Mischief and alcohol seem to go well hand-in-hand.

LOL! Thats the truth...

Still a good story...lol
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:04 pm
Am I missing something? How many people have brought a piano up that mountain? And why? Is it some Scottish thing?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:08 pm
Awww, its probably as equivalent as Oachitonians getting drunk and stealing goats to brbque..lol Its just one of them thang's...lol
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:14 pm
littlek wrote:
Am I missing something? How many people have brought a piano up that mountain? And why? Is it some Scottish thing?

Well, someone carried up an organ in 1971 or 1972, and a group of movers carried up a piano in 1986.

So yes, a Scottish thing I guess Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:16 pm
<nodding to nimh>

Shiver - goat stealing? I suppose that if everyone steals from someone else it all evens out in the end.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:19 pm
Quote:
Shiver - goat stealing? I suppose that if everyone steals from someone else it all evens out in the end.

Yea...lol, but pleaing the 5th now. I know nothing...lol :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 21 May, 2006 06:22 pm
Sure....sure......
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Piano Found Near Summit of Mountain
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 03:36:45