Why sleeping at work is good

Reyn

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:22 pm
Why sleeping at work is good

Ever felt like sleeping on the job?

Rather than crumbling into unsightly heaps on their desks, Sydney workers may soon have access to a comfortable and legitimate place to nap at their offices.
MetroNaps Australia is this week launching its sleep pods in the foyer of the ABN AMRO building, on the corner of Phillip and Bent Sts in the city.

Busy workers are invited to stop in and put up their feet for 20 minutes to relax and rejuvenate in style.

Nappers' privacy is secured by the darkness of the dome-shaped pod, which lets them drift into a light sleep to the sound of relaxing music on a pair of headphones.

It is a pastime that people in Copenhagen and New York are already starting to enjoy.

With Access Economics figures showing a $1.7 billion productivity loss in Australia due to sleep disorders in 2004, MetroNaps' Australian directors Alex Silva and Brendan Torazzi are promoting their sleep pods as a human resource tool.
"Our main focus is to emphasise the increase in productivity reaped through proper rest," Mr Silva said.

"A nap will improve mood levels, information processing abilities and production levels of staff."

Following an efficient 20-minute nap at noon yesterday, futures broker Mark Bryant said the time out was well-spent.

"I found especially the music and blackout effect helped clear my mind to be able to refocus," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,108 • Replies: 8
No top replies

eoe

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:38 pm
I always napped after lunch when I worked 9-to-5's. I don't know about other industries but in large department stores where I've worked, there were specific areas off the cafeteria with big comfy chairs and ottomans and if you could snare one, it was naptime. And when I had my own office with a door, it was nothing to close that door after lunch and take a little siesta break. Hell, I've even slept in bathrooms at work. Rolling Eyes

Now I work from home and rarely nap during the day...go figure.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:49 pm
eoe wrote:
Hell, I've even slept in bathrooms at work. Rolling Eyes

Hmm, I'm trying to picture this. Wouldn't it be easy to hit one's forehead on the floor? Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 16 May, 2006 09:55 pm
Nah. You never fall into that deep of a sleep.

But the point of the thread is, after a nap, you're ready for the second half of the workday. I was always rejuvenated and ready to tackle the rest of the day.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 18 May, 2006 02:07 am
Can somebody send this to my boss??
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 04:59 pm
Here's a little tip...if they catch you nodding off, just open your eyes and say, "Amen..."
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 31 May, 2006 05:00 pm
funny, i just woke up. I still have the keyboard imprinted into my face...
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 06:02 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
funny, i just woke up. I still have the keyboard imprinted into my face...

Quote:
Here's a little tip...if they catch you nodding off, just open your eyes and say, "Amen..."

I've done BOTH! I used to have a nice little cubicle at my old job where I used to nod off. It was in the corner and perfect for that sort of actvitiy. The worst is when you have to jump up and actually talk to someone/go to a meeting and you've got keyboard marks on your face. That's a little difficult to make them go away too quickly.

The marketing/pr place that I work now though has an open floor-plan, so its pretty difficult to catch some ZZz's. I'll figure something out though, eventually. The bathroom idea is good. I know I have a few friends of mine that do that...

Hmm..the brain is thinkin!
0 Replies

LoveMyFamily

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2006 10:31 pm
Reyn wrote:
eoe wrote:
Hell, I've even slept in bathrooms at work. Rolling Eyes

Hmm, I'm trying to picture this. Wouldn't it be easy to hit one's forehead on the floor? Laughing

I have done that so many times (not hitting the head on the floor BTW). I just lower the toilet seat and the cover and sit and doze off. I have already mastered the art Smile
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Why sleeping at work is good
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 01:32:50