'Explosive' underwear gift sparks bomb scare

Reyn

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 02:58 pm
'Explosive' underwear gift sparks bomb scare

TOKYO (Reuters) - Two bags with a note warning they would blow up if opened triggered a bomb alert at a Japanese university -- before explosives experts found they contained women's underwear and a chocolate cake.

Police evacuated Kyushu University's pharmacology department in southern Japan early Tuesday and called in the bomb squad after a staff member found a white paper bag with a note that said "To Yoko, if you open this it will explode" and a pink plastic bag marked "This one too."

The paper bag contained the cake and the plastic bag the underwear, a spokesman for Fukuoka prefectural police said.

Two female students of the department had meant the parcels as a birthday present for a friend, writing the note because they thought it would stop anyone from touching the bags. They left them in the post room Monday night, emailing their friend to tell her to collect them.

The friend, however, forgot.

The police spokesman said the two were being questioned about the incident but it was too early to say if they would be charged.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 364 • Replies: 8
No top replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 03:02 pm
Explosives, women's underwear, chocolate cake . . . throw in some duct tape and you have an episode of MacGyver.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 9 May, 2006 04:16 pm
Heck, I can be wearing underwear (no not women's) and have explosions.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:23 am
Still, no matter the banter, there is a much more serious issue underlying this post. Japan isn't exclusive in taking such drastic measures, after all.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:32 am
Any plain, boring old underwear, when draped around my loins, always ends up containing a lethal weapon. Whether it explodes or not, depends on the circumstances.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 04:38 am
najmelliw wrote:
Still, no matter the banter, there is a much more serious issue underlying this post. Japan isn't exclusive in taking such drastic measures, after all.

Naj is right, of course. There are other visionary world leaders that are bold in their measures. President Bush has made a promise to bring peace and democracy to Iraq so that no underwear bombs will ever be seen there. So far, Mission Accomplished!
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 07:16 am
Can I list my underwear as a chemical weapon?
LOL
What I mean is, that the tension is so high nowadays in first world countries, that the police have to take drastic measures for every package they find... And the fat majority is hoaxes, thank goodness.

Still, this costs money, and breeds fear.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:23 am
Underwear, chemical weapon, tension, package and breeds should never be in the same post.

I think you are now on the US No Fly List.

(Ooops. Check your zipper)
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 10 May, 2006 08:31 am
Speak of underwear reminds me of all the planning that underpins our President's bold and forceful plan to achieve victory in Iraq!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 'Explosive' underwear gift sparks bomb scare
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:31:09