Bogus Noble Is Missing American, Kin Say

Reyn

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 10:11 am
Bogus Noble Is Missing American, Kin Say

LONDON (AP) - A mystery detainee who allegedly created a bogus identity as an English nobleman by assuming the name of a dead baby is actually an American who went missing from Florida more than 20 years ago, his relatives say.

The man being held in a jail in Kent, England, goes by the title of the Earl of Buckingham but he is really an Orlando native named Charles Stopford, his father, Charles, and sister Rebecca Davis say in a documentary to be broadcast Sunday on Sky One television.

The relatives said they saw photos of the fake lord on the Internet along with a story in The Times this week and concluded he is Stopford.

http://ak.imgfarm.com/images/ap/BRITAIN_MYSTERY_DETAINEE.sff_NY118_20060506135143.jpg
This handout image made available in London by the Kent Police, shows the passport of a man whose real identity is still a mystery, but who masqueraded as an aristocrat for 23 years and who was jailed for 21 months at court in Canterbury, England, Tuesday Nov. 8, 2005. The man, who calls himself Christopher Edward Buckingham, assumed a false identity - that of an eight-month-old baby who died in 1963. As part of his deception, he also adopted the disused title of Lord Buckingham along with the accompanying heraldic coat of arms.

"When I first saw his photo, I cried and I was excited because I was 100 percent positive it was him," Davis said in an excerpt of the documentary aired Saturday.

The elder Stopford said he has no idea why his son suddenly vanished from Florida in 1983.

But one of the man's brothers, Wesley, told The Times that the detainee had been convicted that same year of possessing explosives after he tried to blow up the car of his boss at a fast-food restaurant in Orlando. He was put on probation but spent 60 days in jail after he violated the terms. Shortly after that, he disappeared.

"Charles always had an obsession with the English," his father said.

Davis said she had believed Stopford was simply traveling around Europe all these years.

"I remember him saying that he loved the thought of traveling. He wanted to travel Europe," she said.

British media have dubbed the man "The Real Jackal" - an allusion to Frederick Forsyth's novel "The Day of the Jackal," which made famous the trick of using information from a baby's tombstone to create an identity.

In this case, the detainee was arrested in January 2005 as he tried to enter Dover, England, from Calais, France, across the English Channel. Police ran a passport check and saw that the person with his name was supposed to be dead, The Times said.

He is alleged to have taken the name of Christopher Buckingham, who died in 1963 at the age of 8 months, and used it to obtain documents to live as a British subject.

For the past decade he has been calling himself the Earl of Buckingham, a title that has been extinct for more than 300 years, The Times said.

The man served nine months in prison over the false passport incident. But after completing the sentence, he has remained in jail because he refuses to reveal his true identity, the paper said.

"As far as we are concerned, he still claims to be Christopher Buckingham," Kent police spokeswoman Kelly Betts said.

The fake earl apparently speaks with a perfect British accent, she added.

He has two English children by a woman he is now divorced from, and all three are said to be stupefied by news that he is not the man they thought he was.

The Times said police in Kent have sent fingerprint and DNA samples to the United States to try to determine the man's identity.

Police spokeswoman Betts said she could not confirm this. She did say British authorities were working with American embassy officials to determine whether the man really is Stopford.

"We are following up a number of leads to find out who he is," she said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 10:23 am
A further development. It was found that not only was the identity wrong, but so was this photograph. It has now been released who the real culprit is:

http://lrg.zorpia.com/0/1714/10971144.79440d.jpg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 10:31 am
http://www.freebiefix.com/lmao.gif
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:15 am
Reyn, you are the fastest click in the West.

I just finished my morning paper and immediately sped here to post, but again, I have been thwarted.

Reyn, the man who never sleeps.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:28 am
Thank you Reyn, that was wonderful!

Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:41 am
Laughing Ah, you guys are welcome! I must say I really enjoyed posting this one.

Who would have thought he was really an American, eh?

Now, we must have reaction and explanations from our good friend...... :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:47 am
OUTRAGEOUS!

I will state here and now that I have NO American in me whatsoever!

Well, that isn't quite true, actually. It only happened the once, it was a long time ago, and even now I'm not sure whether there was an American involved.
Whoever it was, he spiked my drink, was wearing coveralls and smelt of Wernerscnitzel and large rodent.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:54 am
The fake passport dodge this joker used is quite old, and has been used for many, many years. I believe the technique first was developed before the Second World War. One needs only visit a graveyard or two, and find the tombstone of a child or infant of the appropriate gender--born at about the same time as the intended recipient, who died within a year or two of birth. Then one goes to the local equivalent of the Bureau of Vital Statistics and secures a birth certificate (this was espeically easy in the days before drivers' licenses had photos on them--even now, getting a fake DL is not hard), with which one then secures the necessary passport.

Intelligence services have used this dodge for so long that you can find it mentioned casually in "spy" literature. I think the guy was an idiot to have claimed to be a member of the peerage, because it would draw undo attention. But i also thinks it's hilarious that he worked the dodge for more than twenty years.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:58 am
This guy sounds like a royal pain!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 08:59 am
Well said, Set.

This whole thing also gives us GENUINE nobility a bad name.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:02 am
Oh yeah, as though something like this could bring the Peerage into more disrepute than their own antics do . . .

(insert appropriate eye-rolly emoticon here)
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:07 am
I see no need to duke this out here.

Let's count ourselves lucky they caught this guy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:08 am
Go take a pill, Earl.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:11 am
I wonder if they checked his finger-prince?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:18 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
OUTRAGEOUS!

I will state here and now that I have NO American in me whatsoever!

Well, that isn't quite true, actually. It only happened the once, it was a long time ago, and even now I'm not sure whether there was an American involved.
Whoever it was, he spiked my drink, was wearing coveralls and smelt of Wernerscnitzel and large rodent.

I'm sure it's another case of mistaken identity. Probably one those doppelganger things. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:19 am
blacksmithn wrote:
I wonder if they checked his finger-prince?

You're in rare form today! :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:20 am
Methinks we are in for some right royal punning on this one.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:22 am
Well, it's earl-y yet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:24 am
You jokes are baron of humor . . .
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 8 May, 2006 09:28 am
I deny such a be-knighted state! My puns are without peer.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Bogus Noble Is Missing American, Kin Say
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:17:49