Another Yahoo problem

Letty

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 06:08 pm
When I was checking the updates from A2K, I received a message from Yahoo saying that someone had checked in to my account under another name.

How can someone do that without my password?

EDIT (Moderator): Moved from Computers to Internet
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,078 • Replies: 9
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 06:28 pm
Pretty much "they" can't; your account is accessible only with your password. Odds are the message you thought was from Yahoo! was a Phishing scheme, aimed at identity theft. If the message presented a link urging you to to "click now" or "click here" or some variation thereof, in order to "log into and verify your account", thats certainly what it was. Yahoo! had nothing to do with it - it originated from a scammer/spammer, who simply spoofed the Yahoo! stuff to get you to do what the spammer'/scammer wanted you to do. I hope you did nothing, other than perhaps deleted the message.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 06:35 pm
No, timber. that wasn't the case. The message appeared and automatically shut off Yahoo instant messenger. I tried to write a brief message to the managers, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I use the IM to get alerts for updates to A2K, so I hate to shut it off, but I think that is what I will have to do.

Thanks, buddy.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 06:36 pm
Can you come close to quoting exactly what the message said?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 07:05 pm
Well, I'll try. I was checking my updates and quite suddenly the small Yahoo box popped up and said:

Someone has accessed your Yahoo account with a name that is not yours. (paraphrased). Then IM automatically shut down. It's still not on and I intend to leave it that way.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 07:56 pm
The other thing is it could be spyware or virus that is causing a popup box to occur while running yahoo.

It certainly doesn't sound like a normal message from a reputable service.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 08:07 pm
Thanks, parados. I am too tired right now to consider anything. Don't think it's a virus as I do a virus scan all the time. I often think it's a war between Yahoo and Bill Gates.<smile>

Goodnight.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 6 May, 2006 10:38 pm
It certainly fits the model of IM phishing, and its nothing new to Yahoo Messenger; over 250,000 hits on "Yahoo Messenger" Phishing

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j113/timberlandko/YahooPhish.jpg

If I were to lay a bet ....
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 05:31 am
Thanks, Timber and all. I just got rid of Yahoo messenger. Anyone else having to log in each time?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 08:11 am
I rid my computer of all vestiges of Messenger long ago.
0 Replies