Psychologist to be mother at 63

Reyn

Reply Fri 5 May, 2006 08:52 pm
So what's your feeling on a woman this age giving birth? Is it her "right"? Is it selfish? Is it wacko? Or is it just fine?

Psychologist to be mother at 63

ROME/LONDON (Reuters) - A 63-year-old British hospital consultant is set to become one of the world's oldest mothers after undergoing fertility treatment, the Italian doctor who treated her said Thursday.

Patricia Rashbrook, a child psychologist from Lewes, East Sussex, was given in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment last October, Severino Antinori told Reuters.

Antinori, who said he was "excited and proud" about the treatment, gained notoriety in the early 1990s when he helped a 62-year-old Italian woman give birth following fertility treatment with a donated egg.

Italy has since introduced some of Europe's most restrictive laws on assisted reproduction and Antinori said he had carried out the procedure on Rashbrook in an unnamed former Soviet republic.

"The case of the English woman gave me great joy," he said, adding that the treatment was successful at the first attempt, using a single embryo.

He said Rashbrook, whom he last saw in November, was "perfect" for the treatment, because although she was 62 at the time, she had a biological age of about 45.

"She came here with her husband, the couple love each other, she is very slim, blonde and in perfect condition, she fits all the criteria for maternity."

"She should live for at least 20 to 25 years -- we are not giving birth to an orphan," he said.

Rashbrook's 61-year-old husband, John Farrant, told the Sun newspaper that his wife was seven months pregnant.

"We are of course both very happy and looking forward to the birth," he said.

"Obviously at our age it is quite a daunting prospect."

Farrant is Rashbrook's second husband and she has a 26-year-old daughter and a 22-year0old son, the paper said.

In a joint statement the couple said: "We wish to emphasize that this has not been an endeavor undertaken lightly or without courage."

"A great deal of thought has been given to planning and providing for the child's present and future wellbeing, medically, socially and materially."

Many fertility clinics in Britain will not provide treatment for women past the normal age for childbirth.

In 1997, Welsh woman Liz Buttle became Britain's oldest mother at the age of 60. Media reports said she had obtained fertility treatment after lying about her age to doctors.

Last year, a 66-year-old Romanian, Adriana Iliescu, became the world's oldest mother when she gave birth to a baby girl after IVF treatment.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 532 • Replies: 7
No top replies

flushd

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 09:19 am
I'm........conflicted!

Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 09:25 am
I don't think it was a good idea, but, now it's done, hopefully all will be well for them.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 10:13 am
At 63, when that child is 18, she'll be 81 ....... or dead!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 10:50 am
Reyn wrote:
So what's your feeling on a woman this age giving birth? Is it her "right"? Is it selfish? Is it wacko? Or is it just fine?

Personally, I think that she is off her gourd. It would not be something that I would have done. Saying that, I also believe that she certainly has the right to have a child if she wants. Was it wise for her to do so? I dunno. I don't know the woman. Will she die before the child reaches his/her majority. Who knows? Life is capricious. I have known of young women who died leaving little kids behind.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:27 am
It would depend on the person.

Motherhood aside, 63 is not at all old anymore.

I'd have to read what her health is like, does she exercise, etc.
Like phoenix said, young mother die too.

If she is young minded enough to want a child, it doesn't seem she would be outdated in her ideas in rearing a child.

If she has the money, she can get help if she needs it.

In this case, I don't really see a reason to be against it, unless further info was provided to the contrary.

Who knows? She could live to be 100.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:36 am
But surely being a parent of a teenager when you're in your 70s is a formidable job!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 7 May, 2006 11:47 am
yeah, you're right....

however, you could have been 18 or 20 and have a baby for no good reason than it's the thing to do, or you got knocked up. I think there's many people under or around 40 who have no business being a parent of a child at all, let a lone a teenager. Yet, there they are, and they had the right.

Let's assume she knows what she's getting into for a moment. I'd think by the time her child enters the teen age years, they'd have their act together a whole lot more than your typical teen.

Not being serious here...but if had the choice to be the child of some 22 year old stripper living in a trailer park, or a 63 year old phychologist, I'd pick the old lady.

I'd never have to lie about what my mom did for a living, and my guy friends who did know wouldn't be fantasizing (as much) about my mom.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Psychologist to be mother at 63
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:24:59