Shopping for a reliable vacuum cleaner

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:03 am
Im sorry for such a vague post, but I have to run to a job in about 20 minutes.

This evening I need to begin hunting a good working vacuum for less then 50 dollars for work.

i was wondering if anyone could give me their experience with a vacuum , if you paid less then 50 for it?
How is it working?
Is it easily carried around?

Im going to be using it for my cleaning business so I would prefer one that will comfortably fit along side my car seat in a Corolla.

thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,042 • Replies: 39
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:26 am
Less than fifty...that's going to be hard, and small stuff that works well always costs more than larger stuff - the miniaturization charge.

My Dyson could suck the bra (and maybe the tits) off of Pamela Anderson from across the room, but it costs $400.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:28 am
Check the local goodwill stores.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:47 am
I got a Bissell bagless from Walmart for $58. Had it for a couple years and still works great.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:58 am
Shewolf,
Go down to the Linens and Things on Brodie Lane.

You know how you always get those coupons in the mail or in the Sunday paper for 20% off one item at Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens and Things?

Well, both those stores accept each others coupons.

I recently bought a Bissell Lift Off from LNT and I have to tell you, I've never had such a good vacuum in my life.
I just looked on line, and it's $180, with the coupon $144. It's an upright vacuum. I know this is over your budget, but the reason I love it is....

1. You can turn the brushes on or off for floors or carpets.
2. It's bagless, it really sucks well, so check it after every room, you won't believe how much it picks up.
3. - This is the best part....there a little catch on the unit, that when you release it, the body of the vacuum comes off, and you can carry this much lighter piece around to clean corners, upholstry, ceilings, blinds, etc.

The attachments are really easy to take on and off, you don't have to fight with it.
http://lnt.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p2271971reg.jpg
As you can see, it's a sporty little red model. Really easy to manuver.

I did also see this Bissell online for $80, $64 with the coupon. That's pretty cheap. It's bagleess too. Go look at them both and decide which one meets your needs.
http://lnt.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/p2272756reg.jpg

Oh, both of them are 12 amps.
Whatever you do, don't buy a used vacuum. You're just buying someone elses crap.

BTW, I've got a question re those Dysons....what do they mean when they say the "never loose suction"?

do they mean during one vacuuming session, or over time?

Wouldn't it just be a matter of cleaning out your traditional vacuums hose, etc. to get back the suction?

I really don't understand.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:01 am
I was going to recomend Dyson too.The one called a 'Henry'.Weve got one and lets say it sucks but in a positive way.

I think if your using it for a business you should invest in a good vacuum.

We had a free vacuum example at our house,the guys vacuum was so amazing.
He put sand into th ecarpet, rubbed it in.We used our vacuum till we thought all the sand was gone then he used his, he emptied the bag and there was soooo much sand in there.
I think it was around £2,000 tho.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:03 am
Dyson was the first bagless vacuum (at least in design). It never loses suction because of that. I imagine if you never emptied the collection container it would though.

All other bagless vacuums are basically copies of Dyson's design. He won at least one lawsuit over it as well.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:04 am
Have you looked on craigslist?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:04 am
The second Bissell-- the blue one-- is the one I got for $58. I've got no complaints about it, it does what I bought it for.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:06 am
I agree with mg

A decent vacuum is really an investment for you.

Are you going to be doing this housecleaning long(ish) term?

I ask, because I'm a bit of a freak about clean carpets, and I recently got a good deal on a steam cleaner too.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:59 am
shewolf, you know this is a business expense -- I'm figuring it's probably deductible off your taxes if you itemize. So save the receipt. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:03 pm
I agree with others that you should look at it as an investment. I know money is tight, but get the very best vaccum you can afford.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:43 pm
Ok, long post , and I am hoping I am catching everyone in it. hehe

The reason I absolutly have to keep it under 50 dollars THIS month..
( key word THIS )
is because we just paid 580 dollars that we were not expecting to , to get JIllian into day care.

I have exactly 58 dollars in my business account.
Honestly, the money isnt there. It isnt all about not wanting to spend more, believe me, if I could right now,.. I would.

inn 2 months time, I may be able to, but right now this is what my budget allows.

AND- i have to have it by Monday. So, waiting and saving for it isnt an option.

The reason I need it is because, someone I know rents out a few of her duplexes. She asked me , well.. . OFFERED me a job as her move out/ clean up person. But she wants to see what I can do first.
understandable.
SO.. I need that vacuum. ANd I need it to last at minimum 4 months, if not longer.
If it turns out to be a really kick butt, easy to use vacuum, I wont upgrade until it breaks down.

No, i did NOT know I could write this off as a business expence?? Shocked Very Happy

That kicks butt.
I am going to hold on to that reciept with my life.

That blue bissell bagless? What is the 'name' or .. style of it?
That looks up my alley right there..

I have been looking at Goodwill and Salvation army for almost 4 days now.
All I see are cleaners that are about 10 years old, or sometimes none at all.
A few were sort of eye catching, until I turned them on.
I want to go that route because can afford to replace them used if they break down. But it is looking more and more like I will not be able to find a good working one in time.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:20 pm
Check vacuum cleaner repair people. Often those business are part of a retiree's hobby life and the proprietor satisfied to break even.

They might be in the yellow pages.

Also frequently sewing machine repair people also tinker with vacuum cleaners and have second-hand machines for sale.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:20 pm
Time constraints kind of suck, but the gig as the moveout/movein cleaning lady sounds promising. It would mean stable and somewhat predictable work for you. Can you get something off of craigslist that will hold you over until you can afford something better? I got my vacuum (not great but adequate) for 30 bucks off of my sister-in-laws company bulletin board. Does hubby have access to classifieds where he works?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:23 pm
Here ya go, shewolf. http://austin.craigslist.org/hsh/157055348.html
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:25 pm
Another. http://austin.craigslist.org/hsh/156935946.html
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:27 pm
Shocked

wow.. your good FD.

that is even the side of austin I live in... Cool
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:29 pm
Just saw Noddy's suggestion -- it's a damn good one if craigslist doesn't work out. And I know you know this but I'll say it anyway, try before you buy.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 01:33 pm
Shewolf--

Save all receipts--vacuum cleaner, soap, furniture polish--all receipts. Keep track of your gas mileage. If you have a business expense, the business expense is tax deductable.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Shopping for a reliable vacuum cleaner
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 11:32:32