US Anthem in Australian

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:47 am
What language do they speak in Oz?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:59 am
As good or better English than most, Setanta. That was a quick attempt at an Australian slang version of the first verse of The Star Spangled Banner. Actually some of the slang is probably passe - but it is more genuine than what edgar was quoting. (For example, outside of movies of the fifties', no one has ever used the term "ruddy cobber"). I submitted this verse, intending to ask him for his comments.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:05 am
I'm sorry, but i cannot accept a bald contention that the Ozzians speak English without proof.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 09:30 am
Setanta - The language is called Strine. I regret I can do little about your inability to accept a bald contention (or even a hairy one) other than laugh, long and hysterically. (Remember those wonderful cartoons in MAD Magazine?)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edgarblythe wrote:
Slogging on alone . . . (Where's a real Outback man, like Gus, when you need him?)

If you are interested edgar, herewith some comments which may, or may not be helpful:

edgarblythe wrote:

Can a ruddy cobber see

'ruddy' was used mainly as a euphemism for 'bloody' when Mum and the kids were in earshot way, way back. It is much more commonly used by the Poms (British).

'cobber' was a long while back too. (Probably pre-WWII.) It has been replaced by 'mate' for quite some time.

edgarblythe wrote:

On a fair dinkum morn

'fair dinkum' means 'true, the real thing, honest-to-God, you have my oath on it'.

edgarblythe wrote:

What we jolly well saw

Terribly British, old chap!

edgarblythe wrote:

As we waited the billy boil

it would have to be 'waited for the billy to boil'

edgarblythe wrote:

And the bloody red glare

'red bloody glare' sounds more like it.

edgarblythe wrote:

Oer the jumbuck's short hair

'jumbuck'. Apart from growing up knowing that a jolly jumbuck was a sheep because they were the words of 'Waltzing Matilda' I have never heard the word used by anyone that wasn't singing at the time.

'short hair'. Never, never, never would that phrase be used within a hundred miles of a sheep. WOOL.

edgarblythe wrote:

Made a jolly good show

Again purely British.

Sorry if I seem to be knocking your efforts, edgar. It is meant to be constructive and helpful. Actually, I rather like the Star Spangled Banner, as anthems go, although it is very awkward poetry. At least it is not wishy-washy like ours!

Of course, I admit to being very naive, and if your intention is just to take the mickey out of us, well, enjoy! That's precisely what mickeys were created for, isn't it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:05 am
All was meant in good fun. I don't profess to know any Australian when being serious, just wanted some ruddy cobbers from down under to make the billy boil.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:22 am
For what it's worth, I looove your version, lezzles.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 11:40 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I'll wager all my worldly goods that not one person out a hundred knows more than the first verse, and damn' few know that. And, as a general rule, it's only the first verse that's sung at such patriotic events as baseball games.

I always thought the last two words of the National Anthem were "Play ball!"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:07 pm
George, you are funny. Don't you know the anthem in Latin? Razz

Hey, M.A. I will take all those worldy goods now as I know all four verses by rote.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:22 pm
Letty wrote:
...Hey, M.A. I will take all those worldy goods now as I know all four verses by rote.

<shock>
<awe>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 12:27 pm
Awe shocks, George. (shuffles feet and blushes)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 03:37 pm
Letty wrote:

Hey, M.A. I will take all those worldy goods now as I know all four verses by rote.

We know you're one in a hundred, Letty. Now, if you can find 99 others. . .
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:27 pm
Lezzles and dlowan - great stuff!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:35 pm
Laughing

<clap, clap, clap!>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 06:53 pm
Very good. Now I want them to do Sakura in Australian.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:40 pm
It's a bloody awful idea. Shits me to tears, quite frankly.

But then again, if George W Bush asks us to change our anthem to yours, I'm sure we'll do it.

(oops, it was funny...and now I've gone a gotten all political !!!)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 07:53 pm
Seems like there are no major anthem nutcases on this thread...so, can I ask a question?

JUST WOTTHEHELL is the problem with the damn stupid anthem in Spanish supposed to be?

I seriously cannot fathom why it is a problem.

Can someone take a serious moment to enlighten me on this one?

Clueless in Oz.

Oh, and what is "Sakura"?

Have we ever shown you guys the words to our gormless national anthem?

My favourite bit is:

"our land is girt by sea">

Well, no duh, it's a ******* ISLAND for bogs' sake!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:02 pm
Who knows why the boneheads get riled up about the anthem in Spanish. It is totally "unsingable" in the first place, and Francis Scott Key went out of fashion as a poet more than 100 years ago--we're stuck with it, but a great many Americans would prefer America the Beautiful, or just about anything other than the idiotic anthem we've got. I suspect the conservatives are outraged because the anthem in Spanish is an affront to all the White Anglo-Saxon Protestants cherish, but they'll never admit it.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:05 pm
Can't help you with that dlowan.

Maybe you know why one the biggest football teams in this country (AFL - Lions) uses the FRENCH national anthem as it's team song ?!!?!

That's just...bizarre...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:08 pm
Sakura is the Japanese anthem.
As for the US anthem in spanish, I love spanish music, even though I don't speak the language.

Sakura sakura
Yayoi no sora wa
Miwatasu kagiri
Kasumi ka kumo ka
Nioi zo izuru
Izaya izaya
Mi ni yu kan
Saita sakura
Mina mi te modoro
Yoshino wa sakura
Tatsuta wa momiji
Karasaki no matsu
Tokiwa tokiwa
Iza yukan
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 08:48 pm
Perhaps the brouhaha over the US Anthem in Spanish would not have gotten off the ground if it weren't for the coincidence of the release of the song coinciding with the current flap over our immigration problems. Anything that smacks of sympathy for people who prefer a language other than English is anathema to the neocons right now. There was a time -- really! -- when a foreign language translation of the Anthem would have been considered a compliment. Back in the early part of the 20th Century it was rendered into Yiddish to some acclaim. But right this minute the question of Hispanophones is ticklish in the extreme.

(Above for dlowan's edification.)

(Not to mention edjamacation.)

(Not to mention that it's a quarter to 11 p.m. here and I'm less than fully alert.)
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 09:31:19