OK

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:47 pm
What's your favorite band, and why? favorite song, and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 641 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:50 pm
The Archies, because they are groovy, and the song is Sugar Sugar, because you can dance to it.
0 Replies

theonenamedsantanaof89

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 08:54 pm
very nice. my favorite band is staind, but i dont have a favorite song
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 09:20 pm
Welcome back santanaof89.

Too hard to narrow it down to one band, which genre?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 12:58 am
Not to mention 'which mood?'
0 Replies

theonenamedsantanaof89

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 03:46 pm
um. ill give two genres, pick either one. 70's rock, and.....90's. rock. it doesn't matter which mood.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:27 pm
ooh. tough.

In the 70s the bands were probably Led Zep and Pink Floyd (Skyhooks get a honourable mention for a two year period). Favourite song - right now, probably Kashmir - LZ.

At the time though I loved Stairway to Heaven and everything on Floyd's Dark Side OTM, Wish You Were Here and Animals.

Will have to do some more research though. I'm not sure there's much I intentionally pull out and listen to.

90s - hmm, much tougher (there hasn't been as much time to weed out the classics. Loved Pearl Jam's first three albums then lost interest. U2's Zooropa and Achtung Baby still stand up. Trouble is, by the 90s I was the complete taste polymorph. And often I'd find one song I'd really like by a band I had no time for. So albums of consistent magic tend to stick out more than songs. I loved Morphine's Cure For Pain and Grant Lee Buffalo's Fuzzy. There was also Stabbing Westward's Darkest Days. And it got a lot harder to tell what was rock any more.

Will know sit back and agree with anyone mentions stuff I forgot.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:44 pm
the 70's for me are best defined by "the rise and fall of ziggy stardust and the spiders from mars" and "wish you were here" (never really got into DOTM until later)

the 90's are an endless stream of one hit wonders, standout bands would include they might be giants, the flaming lips and guided by voices
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:55 pm
I didn't mention Bowie because he wasn't a band - but I own everything up to Tonight, then maybe a couple of random albums after that, picked up second hand.

He was the closest I got to being an actual fan (never liked him too much live though, weird).

Favourite song though! Gord!! Believe it or not probably Sweet Thing/Candidate from Diamond Dogs. Might change if I think about it some more...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 08:09 pm
only saw him live once, on the serious moonlight tour in support of let's dance, my least fave album

good show though, carlos alomar on guitar, so you can't go to far wrong

diamond dogs would be a strong second choice for fave album, tied pretty evenly with the man who sold the world for some reason, well specifically black country rock, i love that song
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 09:16 pm
I liked Low and Heroes as well. Ziggy and Hunky too.

And Aladdin Sane and The man who sold the world were his two rockiest. He really was cross-genre.

You could play the start of 'Width of a circle' and know one who didn't know the album would guess it was Bowie. Mick Ronson had an ear and a sound that was unique. I think I really like Prettiest Star of Aladdin Sane a lot too - don't know why....

I'm gonna have to pull the vinyl out.
0 Replies