6-legged cat to get $2,000 operation

Reyn

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 09:49 pm
6-legged cat to get $2,000 operation

EDMONTON - If cats always do land on their feet, there's one freaky feline who has an added advantage.

Willoughby, an affectionate orange tabby being cared for by a private shelter operator in Edmonton, has six legs - and a few extra toes.

"Seeing is believing," says Marjorie Hervey, founder and president of the Hervey Foundation for Cats.

She picked up Willoughby last week from city animal control after he was found wandering a south Edmonton neighborhood earlier this month.

"This is something that's really genetically wrong," says Hervey. "It's really weird. I've never seen anything like this and I've seen thousands and thousands of cats."

The year-old cat somehow manages to get around with four front legs. Two of the legs are fused together on one side from the shoulder down to the paw. The other two front limbs, which are much shorter, will likely have to be amputated, Hervey said.

"He can move them but he can't walk on them. Primarily he walks on the one side."

Hervey plans to schedule the short-haired cat for cosmetic surgery, which she estimates will cost about $2,000.

The city pound held the young cat for about a week before Hervey took him in at her no-kill shelter west of Edmonton. No one has come forward to claim him.

But Hervey is certain he was someone's pet because he's been well looked after and is healthy.

..........just in case you think I'm making this up..........
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,897 • Replies: 15
No top replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:03 pm
Now, how hard could it be to get a picture online.....? geez.

<not you Reyn, them>
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:13 pm
Goodness gracious me! Surprised
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:24 pm
No kidding, lil'k. Besides, if they'd run a photo, they'd get more than enough donations to cover the surgery.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:35 pm
I can only imagine what that cat must look like. I can't believe they don't show a picture. Shocked Thank God someone is willing to take care of that baby.

I think the oddest thing I have seen on any cat that I've come in contact with are the polydactyals. Those thumbs are just so cute!

http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/9249/gaylord2il.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:39 am
littlek wrote:
Now, how hard could it be to get a picture online.....? geez.

<not>

I tried to find a photo to no avail. In fact, the only article available was the one I posted. Sad
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:49 am
Roberta's cat Mikey and our cat Paddy have polydactyly - they both have an extra toe on each foot - Paddy has a thumb. Those fused extra limbs are a more extreme version of the same thing. If you look up polydacyly in cats you'll see images.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/vivien/paddy/1epaddy5.jpg

you can see his thumb in this
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:59 am
What an adorable picture! I had two kittens here once, they both had thumbs on all four feet. It was so cute when they walked. Their front thumbs stuck out so much they had to kind of move their legs outwards a bit to keep from tripping over their own feet! Laughing
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:08 am
Somewhere, a Chinese restaurant is experiencing a drumstick shortage...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:39 am
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:45 am
Speaking of which, I need to phone in my lunch order for Meow Goo Gai Pan.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:06 pm
Two thousand bucks for that surgery?? I guess I've been in the wrong end of veterinary medicine for the past thirty years!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 08:58 pm
Is it too late to switch?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 09:33 pm
CowDoc wrote:
Two thousand bucks for that surgery?? I guess I've been in the wrong end of veterinary medicine for the past thirty years!

Which END would the wrong end be?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:05 am
No offense, but that would be the end dogs love to sniff... Laughing
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 11:38 pm
I was thinking about the cheap end as it applies to ordinary people trying to make a living in agriculture, but I think you all are familiar with a certain end of the stick I alway seem to grab hold of.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 6-legged cat to get $2,000 operation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:30:48