Pa. Cat Nurses Rejected Pug Puppy

Reyn

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 07:27 pm
Pa. Cat Nurses Rejected Pug Puppy

CONNELLSVILLE, Pa. (AP) - A pug puppy rejected by his mother has found a new, more welcoming family - a cat and her three kittens.

Kelly Kent, of Connellsville, said her 2-year-old cat, Zoey, has been nursing a black pug puppy since he was rejected by his mother in late March. Zoey doesn't usually like dogs but seems to have made an exception, Kent said.

The puppy, who belongs to Kent's neighbor, is about the same size as Zoey's kittens and regularly lines up for milk with his adopted feline siblings.

It is not unusual for mothers to adopt in nature, even if the baby is of another species, said William Shepherd, a Uniontown veterinarian. Shepherd said a puppy can drink a cat's milk, but warned that Zoey might not be able to produce enough as the young pug gets older and bigger.

The pug puppy, the runt of his litter, doesn't yet have a name.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 473 • Replies: 8
No top replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 07:32 pm
Ha! And here I was looking at the headline and thinking, why did those mean cat nurses reject a puppy??
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 07:34 pm
That was the first thing that popped into my head too...complete with image of kitties wearing those little hats with red crosses on them...Hmmm.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 07:52 pm
Ha! I was thinking of, you know, nurses that specifically work with cats, myself - which already is pretty outlandish I guess - but - I bow to your richer imagination! Razz
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 07:55 pm
Mother cats are so FIERCE in their mothering...their maternal instincts seem to run very deep..I am not surprised at all.

Breeders (at least of Siamese) often find all the queens nursing and caring for all the kittens, no matter the differing ages and stages of the kittens.

It is lovely to watch!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 08:01 pm
Quote:
Ha! I was thinking of, you know, nurses that specifically work with cats, myself - which already is pretty outlandish I guess - but - I bow to your richer imagination! Razz

Or bow to my greater obtuseness, at least... Rolling Eyes Laughing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 08:13 pm
maybe the cat is merely raising a future lunch for her kittens.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 08:40 pm
farmerman wrote:
maybe the cat is merely raising a future lunch for her kittens.

Ooooh! Shocked
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 05:36 am
Pugs always reminded me of an animal that bore a striking resemblance to Barney Fife.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Pa. Cat Nurses Rejected Pug Puppy
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.06 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:18:35