Jail toilets face away from Mecca

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:32 pm
Do you think Muslims should be accomodated in jail this way? I think that's a bit "over the top". What's it going to be next?

Jail toilets face away from Mecca

Facilities in a prison are being built so Muslim inmates do not have to face Mecca while sitting on the toilet.

The Home Office said two new toilet blocks are being installed as part of a refurbishment at Brixton jail in south London.

Faith leaders had told prison bosses it was unacceptable for Muslim inmates to face Mecca while using the toilet.

"The refurbishment has been carried out with due consideration for all faiths", a Home Office spokeswoman said.

"Following consultation with faith leaders within the prison, various small adjustments were made to ensure the faith issues of all prisoners are taken into account."

She added: "The money spent did not affect the overall cost of the refurbishment programme."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 461 • Replies: 11
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 11:29 pm
How nice. How did muslims know which way mecca was before the compass was invented - or does the compass predate Islam?

I used to hear about 'facing west toward Mecca' so the sun set was a good clue, so is it literally toward Mecca or just to the west? No disrespect intended.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 07:46 am
So now if they're worshiping the porcelain altar....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 08:44 am
Ouch!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 08:53 am
Just sit backwards for god's sake.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:03 am
If we had prisoners in Hawaii, theyd probably **** themselves to death because Meccas longitude at that point would make it a toss-up whether yer ass points east or west(same distance to Mecca).
How do they handle that?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:14 am
So they build them facing east, and these folks sit drop their drawers and sit down ... which way is their ass facing?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:17 am
Re: Jail toilets face away from Mecca
Reyn wrote:
Do you think Muslims should be accomodated in jail this way? I think that's a bit "over the top".

Seeing how they were refurbishing anyway and it hasnt affected the overall cost, why not?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:40 am
They should stop serving spaghetti, as well.

Ramen.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:24 pm
I'm with Nimh.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 12:52 pm
Quote:
Facilities in a prison are being built so Muslim inmates do not have to face Mecca while sitting on the toilet.

What about the urinals? Which direction do they face?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 01:08 pm
I thought those were foot washers. -Ali
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Jail toilets face away from Mecca
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:14:10