Key West Taking Chickens Off Streets

Reyn

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:34 pm
Key West Taking Chickens Off Streets

KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) - Some of this island city's most beloved residents are facing eviction. Key West's city commissioners approved a resolution Tuesday for the removal of free-roaming chickens from city streets and parks and from private property upon request.

The measure doesn't spell out where the chickens will be taken after they're caught; the commission deleted a reference to "aggressive action." But Commissioner Bill Verge said its necessary to remove what he sees as a potential host for diseases and what others simply call a nuisance.

There are roughly 2,000 to 3,000 chickens living in Key West - a city of fewer than 25,000 year-round human residents.

The sight of the birds ambling down Key West's old streets have been common for decades, and their presence is embraced by many residents. The birds join tourists on walks down Duval Street and stop traffic as they cross busy Truman Ave.

Two years ago, the city hired a chicken catcher, but people began freeing birds from their traps and destroying the catcher's equipment. The chicken catcher and the city eventually parted ways after he had collected about 500 birds.

At the meeting Tuesday, Key West Chicken Store owner Katha Sheehan and other residents wore chicken attire and spoke in support of the chickens.

"The roosters are part of the character," Commissioner Jose Menendez said. "I am here to defend the chickens."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 335 • Replies: 9
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2006 09:46 pm
The spirit of Colonel Sanders lives in these birds.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:32 am
Whre's that secret recipe when you need it?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:56 am
Was the Chicken Catcher the famous Torrey Smith?

What, you've never heard of Chicken-Catcher-Torrey?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 08:52 pm
C'mon! You wanna laugh.

I know you do...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2006 09:18 pm
Well, okay, if you insist..... Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:44 am
Okay, now you're just being patronizing...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 09:59 am
If there's something in it for me.....teehee....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:09 am
I wonder what Jimmy Buffet thinks of all this.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2006 10:18 am
With bird flu pandemic on the horizon I think you'll see more of this, sadly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Key West Taking Chickens Off Streets
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 12:19:08