Online Education

Heeven

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:26 pm
Montana, I was recently looking for a particular course and came upon this :
MIT OpenCourseWare

MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) offer what-they-call "OpenCourseWare" which provides course materials on a number of subjects in their undergraduate and graduate programs. It's like having the same course materials as the MIT college students for free, online. You learn the same things but you don't get the piece of paper - the degree. Since this doesn't cost you anything, you might want to browse here first to see what you might like to study, take a look at the course materials, get more indepth knowledge of a subject before you commit any money to an online college that does give college credits.

I'd have to think, that were I to self-study, using the same materials as MIT students, that this would look good on my resume. I would have learned something particularly useful. I might not have the same interaction and questions/answers that the college students have but I wouldn't be any worse off and it wouldn't cost me anything!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:40 pm
Eva wrote:
You're in a rather remote area, aren't you, M? Job opportunities are limited outside cities. I truly hope things come through for you at your son's company, but if not...well...maybe you'll need to move after all. I remember you've talked about it. I know you'd rather not, but it might be the solution after all.

I really don't like the idea of you going back to the lobster factory. It's not good for you. And I only want good things for you, sis. (((HUGS)))

Awww shuck Eva, thanks <sniff>

Yes, I'm a 45 minute drive to the nearest major city and that's 15 minutes longer than I'm already driving <sigh>

I'm just a bit stressed out right now because my job totally sucks and the thought of going back there just makes my skin crawl, but I'll get through it as I always do.

It's only been a week since I applied for the job at my sons place and this waiting is the worst part.

They have a web site and email address, so I'm going to bug these people until they give me a chance Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:44 pm
Heeven wrote:
Montana, I was recently looking for a particular course and came upon this :
MIT OpenCourseWare

MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology) offer what-they-call "OpenCourseWare" which provides course materials on a number of subjects in their undergraduate and graduate programs. It's like having the same course materials as the MIT college students for free, online. You learn the same things but you don't get the piece of paper - the degree. Since this doesn't cost you anything, you might want to browse here first to see what you might like to study, take a look at the course materials, get more indepth knowledge of a subject before you commit any money to an online college that does give college credits.

I'd have to think, that were I to self-study, using the same materials as MIT students, that this would look good on my resume. I would have learned something particularly useful. I might not have the same interaction and questions/answers that the college students have but I wouldn't be any worse off and it wouldn't cost me anything!

Oh cool. anything I can learn for free is always a good thing, even if it's just for the sake of learning and if I do take some course, it helps to know what I want to do.

Thanks a bunch, Heeven :-D
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2006 11:21 pm
Montana, I didn't read all the post...so If I repeat something, I'm sorry.

I'm currently registered with Western International University, its a sister college to Univeristy of Phoenix.

I've been enrolled now for a year and half, and have 8 months left to go, till I have earned my Assocaites Degree in Criminal Justice. Which I intend to turn around and reapply to the Univeristy of Phoenix, to work on my Bachelor's degree...either in Criminal Justice, or another closely associated field.

Its expensive...I have massed over $12,000.00 in debt, some of the money was gained through grants, and I have recieved the majority of it through student loans. Your looking at 1500.00 a course, you work on two courses at a time.. Books, well...some require hard bound books, most of those I have bought have been around 80.00 to over a 100.00 a book..Other classes are now offering online e-books. Which are 60.00 apiece.

Its time consuming...I devote probably 25 hours, give or take...sometimes over 30 hours a week to it. Its fast paced, we cram in 16 weeks worth of work in a 9 week time period. And it usually takes about 6 days of my week up. Usually have Mondays, and sometimes Sat off. You don't get "holidays"...or a "spring or summer break".

IS IT WORTH IT? You BET! I've talked about my busy schedule before, I still have the same busy schedule, just have added school to the project list now. Thats some of the reason...I come up missing in here.

I enjoy it...I enjoy the discussion questions...some of which I have seen it take me up to 5 hours to get the right answer...lol (I tend to talk a lil more educated in there..haha) The work, some of its HARD...I have sweated over many papers I have had to hand in...( Shocked ) And currently carrying a high B...wish it was higher, but with all I have going on, I'm proud of the B.......

I think if your serious about it, you oughta look into it....they'll help you get everything lined out to get started.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 10:21 am
MMS
Thanks so much for that. I truly admire you and your courage. I don't remember if I expressed this in the past, but you inspire me and make me feel like I can do anything.
You are such a strong woman and I don't know how you manage everything in your life, but I for one am very proud of you.
I started back at work yesterday and starting monday I'll be working between 60-70 hours a week, not including the hour of commuting every day for the next 6 to 8 weeks, so everything will be on hold until my next break in July, where I can take for time to figure out where I want to go.
I'm at a very confusing time in my life, but we all go through that.

Thanks for all the info and the smiles :-D
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 12:40 pm
Montana, I appreciate your kind words, they are much needed right now.

I don't know how I do it, to be honest with you, I'm TIRED.

If I didn't have supportive friends that rallied behind me, that keep me going when I'm too tired to put one foot in front of the other, I'd probably never make it.

But I enjoy my kids....and I enjoy them getting to do extra activities that build their self-esteem, boost the confidence, and it keeps them off the couch.

But Thank you.....and GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2006 01:50 pm
I friend of mine is now getting her BA online from our distant university.
(History and litterature sciences.)
She's studying part time, has two teen boys, works part time as a (the only) librarian, has to look after various animals ...
She's tired, often on the edge .... but has fun to get the degree finally.

(My degrees were easier to get, since I hadn't to bother with disturbing work and could bottom-up on my previous university degrees.)

But support from family and friens truely is essential. (I missed that a bit, since I really just studied for fun ... and that's what everyone told me.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Online Education
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.14 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:27:09