Man, 100, Says He Has Bowled for 93 Years

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 12:27 am
I love these "feel good" type stories. There's so much crazyness in the news these days that it's nice to read something like this.

Hope you like it, too.

Man, 100, Says He Has Bowled for 93 Years

CONNERSVILLE, Ind. - George Blevins bowled his first frame when he was 7 years old - and he says he hasn't stopped bowling in the 93 years since.

The 100-year-old Richmond resident has a 151 average and plays about three times a week. A few years ago he switched from a 16-pound ball to a 12-pound ball so he doesn't get as tired.

"It only helps," he told the Connersville News-Examiner for a Thursday story.

Blevins has won the past two national Senior Olympics singles tournaments for the over-75 group. Wednesday, he played in the 33rd Annual Indiana State Seniors Singles Bowling Tournament in Connersville.

"He's quite a bowler for any age," said Plaza Lanes proprietor Mike Vanover. "He certainly doesn't look his age."

Blevins bowled his first game in a hotel basement in his hometown of Monticello, Ky. He was a regular on the Lafayette lanes while earning a bachelors degree in industrial engineering from Purdue University. And as he worked a special assignment engineer for International Harvester, he was able to bowl throughout Indiana before returning to Richmond.

Things have changed since Blevins' first game. Instead of natural wood bowling lanes with challenging oil patterns, lanes today are made of synthetic flooring. Automatic scoring machines have replaced paper scorekeeping in many bowling alleys.

When he first drove to competitions, gas was about 15 cents per gallon, he said.

Instead of using the standard three-step approach, Blevins now uses more of a step-and-stoop form. He competes in five major senior tournaments a year statewide, and said he sees no reason to stop.

Blevins attributed his health to clean living and bowling.

"I try to not act too old," he said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 181 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 07:02 am
It is so great when you hear about very elderly people who still are active.
I was in a recreation room for seniors that has a kitchen at one end. A man came in, and started cooking what must have been an Italian dish. The aromas coming from the kitchen were glorious.

My friend, who lives in the building, told me that this man, who looked around 85, was 102 years old. He volunteers in the small shop in the building, which sells cards, sundries, and other small items for the residents. He also makes up a couple of dozen bags of popcorn every day for the residents.

If I ever get to be that age, I just hope that I can have the same kind of energy that this man has!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 10:24 am
I wonder what their secret is?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 10:29 am
I'll let you know.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 10:36 am
I'm not sure I'll be around at 102. I might be otherwise engaged.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 10:43 am
I hope to be dancing on Soul Train at that age.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 01:37 pm
When I'm 100 I want to be playing tennis and sleeping with college girls.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 01:48 pm
Ah, the quintessential "dirty old man". Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Man, 100, Says He Has Bowled for 93 Years
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 10:32:33