Man Says He Survived on Frogs, Lizards

Reyn

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 08:52 pm
Man Says He Survived on Frogs, Lizards

DARWIN, Australia (AP) - A skeletal man claimed he survived for three months in the Australian Outback by eating frogs and lizards.

Ricky Megee, 35, from the east coast city of Brisbane, was severely malnourished when he was found sheltering on the bank of a dam on a remote cattle property in the Northern Territory, near the Western Australia border, in Australia's tropical north on April 5.

"(I ate) leeches out of the dam, frogs, grasshoppers, any sort of bugs that came within distance for me," Megee told reporters Thursday in the Northern Territory capital Darwin after his rescue, adding that he also grilled lizards.

He told some media his car broke down, but told others that he was carjacked.

Megee said his ordeal began late January as he was driving on a remote inland highway toward the coastal city of Port Hedland in Western Australia.

Police have yet to find the car and authorities have not verified his version of events.

Megee was in the Outback "for a considerable time," police said. Len Notaras, Darwin Hospital's medical director, said Megee - who is 6 feet 3 inches tall - arrived at the hospital weighing 99 pounds. He was treated for six days and was released Tuesday.

Megee was interviewed by police while he was in hospital.

"This man spent a considerable amount of time in this area at various dams and water holes surviving off the bush," police said in a statement.

Mark Clifford, a cattle ranch manager, said Megee was weak when found by his farm hands.

"He was skeletal, he was really emaciated and when the boys found him he could only walk and fall and stumble," Clifford said.

A police investigation has not uncovered any evidence "to suggest any criminal offenses have been committed," the police statement said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 410 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 05:58 pm
Am reading "Lost in Rooville" by Ray Blackston (a little too overtly Christian for my tastes, but that's another story). It's set in Australia and two characters get marooned in the outback and run out of food and water. Apparently there are frogs that can retain water in their skin and they burrow down into the earth during dry spells. If you dig them up and squeeze them they will release the retained water -- kind of like a sponge I guess -- and you can drink it (you'd really have to be desparate).
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2006 06:09 pm
[qoute]Apparently there are frogs that can retain water in their skin and they burrow down into the earth during dry spells. If you dig them up and squeeze them they will release the retained water -- kind of like a sponge I guess -- and you can drink it (you'd really have to be desparate).[/quote]

This is true, finding the buggers is the hard bit.

When venturing into the outback flush your radiator and dont put antifreeze/boil in. A radiator holds a heap of water.
Yes you would have to be desparate but you get that way.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Man Says He Survived on Frogs, Lizards
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 11:25:03